Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2021, 08:41 AM   #51
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Erik Martin.. with. NVE and Demaar on the bench. Let's go.
I’m all for former players being involved. All for it
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:53 AM   #52
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
I am not for a former player and not from anybody that comes from an old school coaching tree.

The game is changing rapidly and that style of shoot midrange shots, don't shoot 3's and so on is going away. I don't want to hire anybody that plays the old school style.

Look at the games WVU lost. Out there chucking 20+ midrange shots a game. Syracuse took 9. Lost to Okie State firing up 22 midrange shots, Okie state shot 10.

You have to get a coach that understands the direction basketball is going.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #53
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I am not for a former player and not from anybody that comes from an old school coaching tree.

The game is changing rapidly and that style of shoot midrange shots, don't shoot 3's and so on is going away. I don't want to hire anybody that plays the old school style.

Look at the games WVU lost. Out there chucking 20+ midrange shots a game. Syracuse took 9. Lost to Okie State firing up 22 midrange shots, Okie state shot 10.

You have to get a coach that understands the direction basketball is going.
Sooo... A coach.. like . John Brannen lol

I'm indifferent in the decision they make... I just prefer this gets done now. We can't keep waiting.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:12 AM   #54
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Sooo... A coach.. like . John Brannen lol

I'm indifferent in the decision they make... I just prefer this gets done now. We can't keep waiting.

Yes. Thats why this is such a bad spot to be in. Give me a name and resume better than Brannen's when we hired him that is coming here and getting players out of the portal.

The names out there are not good. Casey Alexander is the guy I wanted instead of Brannen and he's a guy I'd want now. Other guys are just other brannens.

I don't want a Huggins assistant. That style is going away. The game is going to transition into what the nba is doing (what alabama is doing now). The players are getting good enough already. Every single nba team made the change because they were forced to, college will be the same. 110 teams shot 35% from 3 as a team. Imagine what thats going to be in 5 years, 10 years, and so on.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:23 AM   #55
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Yes. Thats why this is such a bad spot to be in. Give me a name and resume better than Brannen's when we hired him that is coming here and getting players out of the portal.

The names out there are not good. Casey Alexander is the guy I wanted instead of Brannen and he's a guy I'd want now. Other guys are just other brannens.

I don't want a Huggins assistant. That style is going away. The game is going to transition into what the nba is doing (what alabama is doing now). The players are getting good enough already. Every single nba team made the change because they were forced to, college will be the same. 110 teams shot 35% from 3 as a team. Imagine what thats going to be in 5 years, 10 years, and so on.

Agreed.... Little concerned with that exact point. Shots in the paint and threes. That's how you win games.

Tho. Will admitt. Johns defense was a wreck. Could use a little huggins style D.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #56
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Agreed.... Little concerned with that exact point. Shots in the paint and threes. That's how you win games.

Tho. Will admitt. Johns defense was a wreck. Could use a little huggins style D.
The complement to a heavy 3 point offense is good 3 pt defense. Most of the protected seeds who were knocked out early are outside the top 100 in 3pt% defense: Illinois, Iowa, Ohio St, West Virginia, Texas, Kansas.

Cronin's team's have always been bad at defending the three point line, despite being elite against 2 pointers, which I think is a big part of his March struggles.

To overcome that you need really good shooting. 15 of the 16 teams left are either really good shooting the 3 or defending against it. Arkansas is the only team that is just average at both. Oral Roberts shoots it at 38% (#12 in the country).

Our best ever 3pt shooting team was 2018, when we shot 35.3% (#147 in the country). This year we shot 31.1% (#289). UCLA is shooting 37.4% (#28). Getting players who can shoot makes all the difference.

Brannen's last three years at NKU all featured teams with a top 50 3pt% defense. So I think his defenses can be pretty good with just a little rim protection. And hopefully we can bring in some better shooters no matter who the coach is.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:09 AM   #57
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I think I kind of sarcastically mentioned this a while back, but I'm really intrigued by Jared Grasso. This year at Bryant they shot 37.6 from three (#21) at a high rate (#87). They were #11 in 3pt% defense. They played at the 3rd fastest pace in the country. In their only big game they lost at Syracuse by 1 and were winning by 13 in the second half. They also won at UMass.

He's only 40 years old, and was an assistant at Iona for 8 years (they made the tourney in 5 of those years and were always a good 3pt shooting team with a high tempo). Bryant was 3-28 before he took over in 2019. Definitely a risk with not much head coaching experience and no major program experience, but I'm intrigued.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #58
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
The complement to a heavy 3 point offense is good 3 pt defense. Most of the protected seeds who were knocked out early are outside the top 100 in 3pt% defense: Illinois, Iowa, Ohio St, West Virginia, Texas, Kansas.

Cronin's team's have always been bad at defending the three point line, despite being elite against 2 pointers, which I think is a big part of his March struggles.
Yeah defensively it's evolving as well. Cronin would smother teams in the paint and force 3 point shots, that was the design of his defense. And that was great 15 years ago.

You have to run teams off the 3 point line now. Brannen defenses do a solid job of that. He said when he first got here you can't control how many 3's a team is going to make, but you can control how many they take.

I'm really concerned about hiring somebody else. If the people in charge have no idea the game is changing, it could be real trouble.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #59
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think I kind of sarcastically mentioned this a while back, but I'm really intrigued by Jared Grasso. This year at Bryant they shot 37.6 from three (#21) at a high rate (#87). They were #11 in 3pt% defense. They played at the 3rd fastest pace in the country. In their only big game they lost at Syracuse by 1 and were winning by 13 in the second half. They also won at UMass.

He's only 40 years old, and was an assistant at Iona for 8 years (they made the tourney in 5 of those years and were always a good 3pt shooting team with a high tempo). Bryant was 3-28 before he took over in 2019. Definitely a risk with not much head coaching experience and no major program experience, but I'm intrigued.

He is intriguing. They gave up a ton of 3 point shots, maybe they just ran good on getting misses.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:21 AM   #60
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Can somebody suggest an actual upgrade? All the guys that fit what I'd want are all guys like Brannen. Who can we get that is an actual upgrade from day 1?

And if that list is Porter Moser and thats it, then wtf are we doing?