Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-22-2021, 09:10 PM   #321
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
That's his new role. Under Archie, he helped bring in some very highly rated recruiting classes as an assistant coach.
interesting he went from assistant to admin role. Explains why he'd be looking to get out. Who was he the lead recruiter for?
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:28 PM   #322
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
interesting he went from assistant to admin role. Explains why he'd be looking to get out. Who was he the lead recruiter for?
Well he was an assistant for Archie, who doesn't have a job anymore. He played at Indiana, so a job in the athletic administration there was a natural fit.

I don't know which players he recruited to Indiana. Before that recruited Francis Alonso to UNCG and developed Ryan Anderson at Cal.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:14 PM   #323
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

In Koval's junior season at Central Arkansas, they played at Baylor, Georgetown, Duke, Wichita St, and Marquette. He averaged 4 blocks in those games, and he scored 21 against Georgetown. His rebounding isn't great and the scoring is inconsistent, but he should be a capable rim protector.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:16 AM   #324
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Good info Sedz. I am okay with Koval. Just worried now Banks on a scholly and other UNCG guys in portal.

I would like to see at least a couple of big time portal guys. A big for sure and probably a wing.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:42 AM   #325
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Every player on the roster now is either a returnee or has connects to UNCG.

We will get a better look at what kind of recruiting chops Miller and his staff really have with these last few open scholarships.

The Newman commit makes me skeptical that we're going to land a big-time scoring transfer wing and that we'll settle with a JUCO or late HS commit.

I also think we end up with two more "bodies" to fill out the frontcourt rather than "impact players".

PG could be our biggest play on the market if DeJulius somehow doesn't return.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:12 AM   #326
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Every player on the roster now is either a returnee or has connects to UNCG.

We will get a better look at what kind of recruiting chops Miller and his staff really have with these last few open scholarships.

The Newman commit makes me skeptical that we're going to land a big-time scoring transfer wing and that we'll settle with a JUCO or late HS commit.

I also think we end up with two more "bodies" to fill out the frontcourt rather than "impact players".

PG could be our biggest play on the market if DeJulius somehow doesn't return.
Unless it's Jarrett Hensley, I do not want anymore UNCG guys. I know we need bodies but with Banks added on scholarship, we have 5 spots left and I doubt we fill all 5 of those
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:13 AM   #327
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Unless it's Jarrett Hensley, I do not want anymore UNCG guys. I know we need bodies but with Banks added on scholarship, we have 5 spots left and I doubt we fill all 5 of those
I'd take Abdulsalam. We need a rebounder inside, and he provides that.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:06 AM   #328
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I'd take Abdulsalam. We need a rebounder inside, and he provides that.
He does, but I don't want any more seniors. This year is probably a down year anyway. Better to use it for developing players. I'm okay with a few seniors for stability, but I'd say we've already got plenty (DDJ, Newman and Koval). We need to add some youth to develop.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #329
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
I don't know about this guy. He looks a little slow and not much hops. He's not going to post up in the AAC. Looks like he can shoot a little and has decent handles but he's not the type of athlete I would want on a defense first squad.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:49 AM   #330
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
He does, but I don't want any more seniors. This year is probably a down year anyway. Better to use it for developing players. I'm okay with a few seniors for stability, but I'd say we've already got plenty (DDJ, Newman and Koval). We need to add some youth to develop.
If everybody uses their extra year, the remaining years of elibility remaining are:

4 - Saunders, Mason, Lakhin
3 - Davenport, MAW, Banks
2 - DDJ, Newman
1 - Koval

I'm fine with adding more young players, but we're not handcuffing ourselves by adding upperclassmen. It will open up more spots for future freshman classes. I'd rather put the best team together that we can right now.