Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-01-2021, 08:04 PM   #41
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Anyone shocked MAW missed the 1-1? There was no chance he was making that. I wouldn't even have had him in the game he was so bad. Then JD looks to the refs at the end of the game thinking it was over when there was still time left. Fortunately Miami sucks. No idea what Wes is doing.
I preferred Ado on the line over MAW. Figured Ado might at least make one.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:11 PM   #42
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
MAW has iced many games for us. Let’s stop with hot takes. We take horrible shots and that has to stop. Not gonna throw individual players under the bus. Wes needs an offense and a tighter leash. Penny has learned street ball doesn’t work. Gotta get some discipline out there.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:19 PM   #43
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I preferred Ado on the line over MAW. Figured Ado might at least make one.
Me too, though neither are ideal. I don't know who else you go to in that situation though. On the inbounds they didn't even run a play to get it into DDJ's hands, they just flashed him to the backcoourt as if Miami wasn't going to try to deny it. I almost feel that Wes didn't realize the clock situation and thought Miami would just allow it in the backcourt. Not sure what other explanation there could be for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
MAW has iced many games for us. Let’s stop with hot takes. We take horrible shots and that has to stop. Not gonna throw individual players under the bus. Wes needs an offense and a tighter leash. Penny has learned street ball doesn’t work. Gotta get some discipline out there.
The hot take was suggesting that there were adjustments made at halftime...MAW has been clutch several times in the past, but there was no way he was making those. You could even see it on his face as he stepped to the line. Teams have figured him out (mainly that he can only go to his left and just throws up wild shots when contested) and his defense is bad. Probably a good guy and he'll have some good games in the future, but they need to find someone better to take 75% of his minutes.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:20 PM   #44
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Terry Nelson just said it on the radio (in reference to Ado). "If you can't block shots and you can't rebound, then you can't be in the game, put another guard in."

Edit: It seems like Ado heard him, has had 4 offensive rebounds and 4 point since I typed that.
Ended with 14 points, 11 boards, 2 steals, 2 blocks

That’s a game right there. Probably played the best game
Old 12-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #45
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Ended with 14 points, 11 boards, 2 steals, 2 blocks

That’s a game right there. Probably played the best game
His points were easy baskets/dunks off of good passes by DDJ. He is at least tall, I'll give him that. And is a good offensive rebounder but a poor defensive rebounder due to how slow he is.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:26 PM   #46
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
His points were easy baskets/dunks off of good passes by DDJ. He is at least tall, I'll give him that. And is a good offensive rebounder but a poor defensive rebounder due to how slow he is.
I thought easy buckets were better than dumb 3 balls
Old 12-01-2021, 09:31 PM   #47
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
I thought easy buckets were better than dumb 3 balls
Damn right they are! That just just proves my point. If an offensively challenged player like Ado can score 14 points on 6-7 shooting why on earth are they shooting 33 three pointers when you are ranked 308th in 3 point fg %?

So far a lot is left to be desired on the coaching side. I know Wes has been talking a good game but being objective he isn't looking too great from a in-game coaching perspective. Looked good against Illinois, looked bad too often elsewhere. Still way, way too early and I'm still a believer but it's time to put some sort of offense and instill some discipline in the players.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:31 PM   #48
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Horrible commentators, very inconsistent referees, awful free throw shooting, abysmal halfcourt offense for 90% of the game and we still win.

Thought we were in real trouble once we went down 8 in the 2nd half but Ado, Davenport and DeJulius all responded well to get us back in the game.

Smart move to set up a game in a (semi) hostile atmosphere prior to playing at Eggs.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:33 PM   #49
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Ado was a bright spot. He had 7 offensive rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 steals, and zero fouls or turnovers. And MAW was fine when he stuck to a floor manager role: 5 assists and zero fouls or turnovers. That's 55 minutes combined of foul and turnover free basketball between them.

The problem with this team remains shot selection. Attempting 33 threes against a severely undersized opponent is not a good gameplan. Ado, Lakhin, and Koval were an excellent 8 of 11 at the rim. We should have been pounding the paint getting more looks through them or Ody. Instead our guards had more rim attempts and went a dismal 2 for 12. Thankfully the midrange wasn't overdone in this one, and we shot a solid 5 for 9.

I'm still of the opinion that MAW should have a single digit usage rate. Only DDJ had a higher usage tonight among players with 20+ minutes. MAW finished 1 for 12 from the field. Mason is struggling with his shot, but I think he's a decent creator and should be playing around 15 minutes to bring MAW down near 20.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #50
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Hard to complain about our game when AAU Mega Squad Memphis just lost to (what I thought was) a very average Georgia team that was 2-5 going into tonight.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote