Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #61
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
The way that 247 article wrote about Lakhin, they made it sound like he's a real catch and could maybe be a stretch guy? Did I read into that wrong?

Would be nice to have a combo guy that could play outside but also work inside with the big guys. I guess that's what Brannen had at NKU.
Hes currently rated #138 on 247. Right in front of Anthony Leal, Trey Galloway and Zach Loveday
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #62
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
Hes currently rated #138 on 247. Right in front of Anthony Leal, Trey Galloway and Zach Loveday
That's pretty solid company. Hard to complain
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:04 AM   #63
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Something to look out for with a tough schedule and a full roster. It could be very difficult to get the younger guys significant minutes in the OOC. This would not bode well for guys like Saunders, Madsens, Lakhin, maybe even Eason. I would like to see some extended action from a few of them early on but in close games you have to go with guys you can trust out there.

I also would think Davenport will find it hard to get on the court. One thing is for sure...there is going to be a lot of tough competition in practice. I like having a full roster for many reasons and that is one of them. The others are that you can still field a decent team through injury and if 1 or 2 decide to transfer out...you aren't decimated.

Really like what Brannen is doing and has done!
Old 06-16-2020, 08:34 AM   #64
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Something to look out for with a tough schedule and a full roster. It could be very difficult to get the younger guys significant minutes in the OOC. This would not bode well for guys like Saunders, Madsens, Lakhin, maybe even Eason. I would like to see some extended action from a few of them early on but in close games you have to go with guys you can trust out there.

I also would think Davenport will find it hard to get on the court. One thing is for sure...there is going to be a lot of tough competition in practice. I like having a full roster for many reasons and that is one of them. The others are that you can still field a decent team through injury and if 1 or 2 decide to transfer out...you aren't decimated.

Really like what Brannen is doing and has done!
One other note about having a full roster would be red shirts. I could easily see a couple of them now with a loaded schedule (if we have a full roster including Williams, Vogt, and Dejulius). My money would be on Lakhin and Saunders (if DD is eligible). I would probably not put one on Davenport or Mason M and because they are twins I am not sure I would expect Gabe to get one. Eason seems unlikely.

Lakhin seems like the best bet followed by Saunders if DD is eligible.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #65
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I really hope Davenport works on his ball skills and 3 ball because he's not gonna see much time at the 4 and with his size and length could be a real asset at the 3 at some point. Maybe not this year but certainly after. If he wants to go pro someday (anywhere) he doesn't have much value as a 4 IMO. Right now he's not a good shooter and doesn't have a back to basket game and really doesn't look like a capable slasher with the ball in his hands at this point.

That's a tough challenge for him...but he seems like the type of guy who will put the work in to see if he can make it happen. He's a good energy guy and we can maybe use him for defense and hustle rebounds but he's got limited value on offense so in a CJB game plan he will also be limited without developing a crucial skill. Easiest thing would be to work on that 3 ball and be a knock down shooter. Ball skills take more time. 3 and D would work well for him.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:08 AM   #66
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
I'm still thinking DeJulius won't be playing, sadly. If Keith Williams returns I could see Mason red shirting before Saunders.

I don't know. Mason actually had better stats in high school, but that might mean nothing now. Size is a notable difference. Brannen has spoken so glowingly about Saunders speed, pass-first style, and potential to penetrate. Who has the best scoring potential? I'm not sure at this point.

PG: Adams-Woods, Saunders, MMadsen
SG: Harvey, Williams, GMadsen
SF: Williams, Davenport, GMadsen
PF: Ivanauskas/Diarra, Eason
C: Vogt, Diarra, Lakhin

Losing Cumberland(s) and Scott, we're going to need a whole lot of offense.

I actually see Davenport playing more at the three, although people here keep on talking about him as a four. He's maybe 6'5"-6'6" IRL. I'm guessing he'd be there for some small ball, but he has the speed to cover wings and guards. He just needed to learn how to play college defense better. I'm guessing we'll see a jump.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #67
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
I'm still thinking DeJulius won't be playing, sadly. If Keith Williams returns I could see Mason red shirting before Saunders.

I don't know. Mason actually had better stats in high school, but that might mean nothing now. Size is a notable difference. Brannen has spoken so glowingly about Saunders speed, pass-first style, and potential to penetrate. Who has the best scoring potential? I'm not sure at this point.

PG: Adams-Woods, Saunders, MMadsen
SG: Harvey, Williams, GMadsen
SF: Williams, Davenport, GMadsen
PF: Ivanauskas/Diarra, Eason
C: Vogt, Diarra, Lakhin

Losing Cumberland(s) and Scott, we're going to need a whole lot of offense.

I actually see Davenport playing more at the three, although people here keep on talking about him as a four. He's maybe 6'5"-6'6" IRL. I'm guessing he'd be there for some small ball, but he has the speed to cover wings and guards. He just needed to learn how to play college defense better. I'm guessing we'll see a jump.
The Staff and people around the program still seem to think DDJ will be eligible this season. He was not a Howard recruit, he decided to stay and honor his commitment to the school, but Howards style of play was nothing like he wanted or was originally promised with the previous staff. Also, the biggest factor in transferring is coaching staffs helping players and by all account Howard is working to get DDJ eligibility here.
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #68
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Staff and people around the program still seem to think DDJ will be eligible this season. He was not a Howard recruit, he decided to stay and honor his commitment to the school, but Howards style of play was nothing like he wanted or was originally promised with the previous staff. Also, the biggest factor in transferring is coaching staffs helping players and by all account Howard is working to get DDJ eligibility here.
I would be surprised if he didn’t get a waiver. The majority of players do. Especially if Howard is helping
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #69
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I am not sure how much Howard can do if the NCAA doesn't grant the waivers unless Dejulius has another avenue to get the waiver. Seems like a 50-50 scenario right now...but I am not very well informed on that issue at the moment.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #70
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
DDJ? You realize DeJoulius is one word, right?

I think the waivers are pretty inconsistent, but it's inevitable that eventually they'll be allowed without question. Really surprised the committee recommended not enacting the change right now. Still could happen.

I was very surprised Vogt got his. We sure needed him last season.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote