Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #121
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
If Brannen traded Tari, Harvey and gabe for the guys we added I would’ve asked for his resignation. I’m just keeping it real I don’t like the direction so far. We added zero local connected kids, I don’t care about rankings but I expect to have at least 4-5 kids on roster from Cincinnati or in 75 mile radius. We added not one stud but lost two(Tari/Harvey)
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #122
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Gtfoh, the man literally left before ever stepping foot on campus or workout
So where you're from for 18 years and all your friends back home mean nothing? Was he supposed to wait to workout then transfer?

Everyone knows everything about John Newman all of sudden, didn't know you were such insiders.

All I said was its worth noting this wasn't some random small school, its literally a small city where he's from. To pretend that isn't a factor is blinding yourself to fit whatever narrative you have before Wes has been here 4 weeks.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:22 AM   #123
kskenyon4
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
If Brannen traded Tari, Harvey and gabe for the guys we added I would’ve asked for his resignation. I’m just keeping it real I don’t like the direction so far. We added zero local connected kids, I don’t care about rankings but I expect to have at least 4-5 kids on roster from Cincinnati or in 75 mile radius. We added not one stud but lost two(Tari/Harvey)
Just to be clear, lost a STUD in Harvey who went to UCSB.... a school that if we got a player from there would be a small fish and looked down upon, got it.

Gabe played 1 game and looked horrible. He was gone in 2020. Who knows what we lost there.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #124
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
So where you're from for 18 years and all your friends back home mean nothing? Was he supposed to wait to workout then transfer?

Everyone knows everything about John Newman all of sudden, didn't know you were such insiders.

All I said was its worth noting this wasn't some random small school, its literally a small city where he's from. To pretend that isn't a factor is blinding yourself to fit whatever narrative you have before Wes has been here 4 weeks.
All that’s irrelevant so save your time. You mentioned he was from Greensboro this and that but literally never played for them. That’s facts I don’t care about insider information you have for us 🤷*♂️
Old 05-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #125
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Just to be clear, lost a STUD in Harvey who went to UCSB.... a school that if we got a player from there would be a small fish and looked down upon, got it.

Gabe played 1 game and looked horrible. He was gone in 2020. Who knows what we lost there.
I’ll take Newman and McGinnis over maw/Ddj but not over Harvey/gabe. I think we get JD johnson so that kinda helps but it would’ve been nice if KD/Newman were replacing Williams
Old 05-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #126
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post

Mike Roberts was a UNCG assistant was he not?

He was there from 2011-2019 and was the Assistant Head Coach. His last job at Indiana wasn't even as a coach it was an adminstrative role. He was the assistant AD.
you're blatantly ignoring the 2 years he was an assistant coach at Indiana for the month he was in an administrative role, which is a really awful way to prove whatever point you're going for.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:33 AM   #127
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Kinda scary actually that a school like UCSB can pull a talented kid like Harvey out of the portal while we're picking up guys like Koval, McGinnis and Hensley.

There's good players out there. But it just so happens that the best we could was to pluck 4 kids all from the same program.

No problem with any our guys individually. A case can be made for each and everyone of them on their own. But collectively they tell a completely different story.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #128
kskenyon4
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Kinda scary actually that a school like UCSB can pull a talented kid like Harvey out of the portal while we're picking up guys like Koval, McGinnis and Hensley.

There's good players out there. But it just so happens that the best we could was to pluck 4 kids all from the same program.

No problem with any our guys individually. A case can be made for each and everyone of them on their own. But collectively they tell a completely different story.
It's like any player who leaves UC is gold but the same standard isn't applied to incoming.

I looked and can't find any articles quickly, but who even recruited Harvey in the portal? Where else could he have legitimately gone...
Old 05-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #129
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
you're blatantly ignoring the 2 years he was an assistant coach at Indiana for the month he was in an administrative role, which is a really awful way to prove whatever point you're going for.
I don't really know how long he spent at either position, although I was under the impression it was a year on the bench and a year in the adminstration.

To be honest, I don't really care either. My point had very little to do with the length of each tenure.

The fact of the matter is he was a UNCG coach for 8 years, and was the Assistant Head Coach there. He's yet another UNCG guy.

What's funny is I'm getting accused of being dishonest or uneducated for simply pointing out these ties while others are simply representing Newman as Clemson and Roberts as Indiana. Like Newman wasn't commited to UNCG at all. Like Roberts didn't coach there for nearly a decade.

Not sure how much more clear I can make this. None of my complaints or my initial rant has anything to do with these individual names. It's the collective approach that I'm questioning.

When you step up in ranks from a school like UNCG to the University of Cincinnati that absolute last thing I want to see you do is to bring 4 kids from your program and put them on scholarship here.

Out of 9 spots (5 players, 4 coaches) 7 of those have gone to people with direct ties to UNCG. The other 2 include a player from North Carolina where's Wes' dad has a building named after him, and a quality assistant from the South.

I don't dig this approach. He doesn't exactly cast a very wide net. It reeks of Wes Miller thinking that he's still in the Southern Conference and/or having absolutely no connections beyond that region.

Agree to disagree. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it just so happens that out of 1,500 players in the portal 4 of the very best options all just happened to be set to be on UNCG's roster for '21. I find that extremely doubtful, but to each their own.

Last edited by MDW79; 05-14-2021 at 09:47 AM.
MDW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #130
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
FYI, since some people are probably getting annoyed at having their posts moved, I'm trying to keep serious discussion about the roster in the 2021-22 Roster thread and emotional debates/rants/arguments here. It's good to have these heated discussions, I would just like to separate them from more informative posts.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote