Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2021, 09:19 PM   #11
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Unless this team turns it around quickly they won't have to worry about the ncaa's. Lost to Momouth, got blown out by X, struggled against Miami, Bryant, and now Tennessee Tech. Something has to change for them to even be able to compete with the likes of Houston. Probably starts with figuring out who your best players are and play them. Why MAW starts and plays the minutes is beyond me (yes I know his stats looked good tonight).
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #12
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Didn't get a chance to watch, is there any reason Vik is only getting 10 minutes a game?
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #13
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
These games are becoming harder to watch for some reason. Maybe I had too high of an expectation from players that just don't have that "It" factor.

It's alarming how we have 30, 7" Footers, and absolutely no inside game at all. Watching these games, the post is actually available during multiple trips on offense, but the ball never arrives or arrives too late.

Nobody commands the ball inside. I could see Lahkin in the portal if he doesn't get meaningful minutes. He has somewhat of the "It" factor.

I think we might get roughed up inside during Conference play, by everyone.

Hope not, but we will see starting this coming Tuesday.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #14
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Unless this team turns it around quickly they won't have to worry about the ncaa's. Lost to Momouth, got blown out by X, struggled against Miami, Bryant, and now Tennessee Tech. Something has to change for them to even be able to compete with the likes of Houston. Probably starts with figuring out who your best players are and play them. Why MAW starts and plays the minutes is beyond me (yes I know his stats looked good tonight).
There's no doubt about that.

Miller doesn't seem intent on shortening the bench though, so we'll have to hope that going forward the line-ups are more intentional and not just a product of some random sub pattern.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:50 PM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Didn't get a chance to watch, is there any reason Vik is only getting 10 minutes a game?
My guess is he is a little bit in the dog house. After getting chewed out in one game (reportedly for perhaps dogging it a little bit out there) his minutes seem to have tightened up after that. That is a guess.

Miller said after one game that 40 minutes of effort is what we need to get. And that we earn the right to play extended minutes in games by doing it in practice. and I think perhaps a message is being sent. Could be something else IDK
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #16
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I mentioned last game with about 10 minutes left, Vik got up and started walking to midcourt to go in and Miller stopped him midway and sent him back to the bench. Initially I thought it was injury related (Vik did briefly go back to the locker room and then return the bench), but doghouse is possible as well.

This game Koval, Hensley and McGinnis all entered the game before Vik. The other interesting thing is that when he did check in, Vik was playing the 5 (whereas he has almost exclusively played the 4 thus far this season). It could be to protect his ankle (less motion on defense to guard the 5) or it could be doghouse. Vik does seem to loaf a bit at times and isn't the best defensively. On the other hand he does so much better than the other centers and our other centers make plenty of mistakes as well.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #17
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
its always interesting when a guy thats clearly the best player at his positions, works hard in practice to start the year, doesn't get the PT he deserves, and then his work rate in practice goes down and he gets in the doghouse.

it would be so hard to sit and watch our bigs play ahead of you if you were Vik.

it wasn't too long ago miller was talking about him dominating practices
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:58 PM   #18
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
its always interesting when a guy thats clearly the best player at his positions, works hard in practice to start the year, doesn't get the PT he deserves, and then his work rate in practice goes down and he gets in the doghouse.

it would be so hard to sit and watch our bigs play ahead of you if you were Vik.

it wasn't too long ago miller was talking about him dominating practices
Vik definitely should be playing more. He struggles at time but you can tell he has a good feel for the game and has potential. He really needs to work on his outside shot because if he becomes dangerous from out there he will be very difficult to defend.

I'm not really sure what Koval offers other than being tall. He can shoot the 3 but not at a good enough rate to where you really have to guard him. He is incredibly slow and has terrible hands. Not saying this to rip him but Vik should be playing over him. Odu give very little as well. Oguama had a rough night but he at least has athleticism and some potential, though he always seems to be lost.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote