Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-17-2022, 08:57 AM   #31
Lefty

Lefty is on a distinguished road
I don’t understand why with 4 players over
6’11 we have problems rebounding the ball.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:00 AM   #32
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
We did just enough to score more than a point per possession, which seems to be the recipe for beating Wichita St this year. Great games for Koval and DDJ, and another efficient low usage performance from MAW who had zero fouls or turnovers in 30 minutes while also leading the team in rebounds.

The defense really locked down in the final stretch. We forced them to play hero ball. Etienne was the only WSU player to score from the field in the final 11 minutes.

We did a good job in the areas I thought would be keys to the game, turning it over only 7 times and holding them to just 12 free throws.
He is helping just enough on offense and not hurting us at all elsewhere. He and Newman have become pretty efficient while also doing the dirty work on D.

DD has also been impressive on the ball D lately. That kid has to run around the whole game on both sides and doesn't seem to skip a beat. And we all know JD is gonna fight the whole game no matter his limitations. Really starting to like these 4 guys playing with one big
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:04 AM   #33
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
We really only have one guard/wing that can crash who has good length and athleticism (Newman). JD isn't bad at rebounding but doesn't jump out the gym. DD rebounds fairly well for a guy his size but he's not long or super athletic. MAW is average in both ways.

In years to come if you are crashing the glass with 6'6" wings with great length on top of that with some athleticism...that rebounding should change. We just don't have the horses with only 1 big on the floor.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:40 AM   #34
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Can someone with a little more knowledge/insight on game flow and scheme help me with Ody? He's 2nd to Vik in rebounds per 40. Best FT% as a big. Scores per 40 minutes 2nd to Vik. Close 2's % best of the bigs. Far 2's % second best to Vik. He's mobile and doesn't seem to get pushed around easily on block.

Where is he going wrong? Out of place? I mean I know he fouls a lot but only Koval is much better at avoiding those. Only Koval is better at turnovers.

Right now I would like to see a combo of Ody and Koval playing the 5. They are much better right now in the plus minus category than Vik and Ado. I am missing something but not sure what it is.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:57 AM   #35
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
https://evanmiya.com/ has a nice breakdown (go to: team breakdown, players). Essentially Ody is worst of the four bigs in most defensive categories and by a significant margin in some cases.

DBPR: Second worst on team (in front of Saunders).
Box DPR: Worst of the 4 bigs (though only barely worse than Koval).
Adj Team Def EFF: 2nd worst on team (in front of Hensley).
On/OFF Def Splits: Worst on team (tied with Saunders).

He is generally top two of our bigs in offensive advanced stats. But that doesn't mean much when he his defensive advanced stats are so bad.

I've commented before, he is terrible at boxing out and at communication and rotations. He seems to be improving, I actually saw him make a couple of nice box outs against WSU. But he has a long way to go.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:20 PM   #36
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
https://evanmiya.com/ has a nice breakdown (go to: team breakdown, players). Essentially Ody is worst of the four bigs in most defensive categories and by a significant margin in some cases.

DBPR: Second worst on team (in front of Saunders).
Box DPR: Worst of the 4 bigs (though only barely worse than Koval).
Adj Team Def EFF: 2nd worst on team (in front of Hensley).
On/OFF Def Splits: Worst on team (tied with Saunders).

He is generally top two of our bigs in offensive advanced stats. But that doesn't mean much when he his defensive advanced stats are so bad.

I've commented before, he is terrible at boxing out and at communication and rotations. He seems to be improving, I actually saw him make a couple of nice box outs against WSU. But he has a long way to go.
Thanks. That is what I was looking for.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:51 PM   #37
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
We have 3 players 6'11" or taller and generally only one of them is on the floor at a time. Koval isn't a great rebounder. The main problem though is the rest of the team. Our starting lineup is small 1-4, and none of them are good rebounders.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:02 PM   #38
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

I posted this when we were still building our roster:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Offensive rebounding rate is what I look at to gauge rebounding ability. Defensive rebounding has more to do with scheme. A defensive rebound is much more likely to be uncontested. DDJ and Mason both had DReb rates of 16.7, but OReb rates around 1. Rap led the team in DReb rate, but had an OReb rate below 3.

The average team OReb rate is 28. Splitting that up into positions works out to something like: C-9, PF-8, SF-6, SG-3, PG-2.

Here's our roster:
C (avg 9): Koval 5.6
PF (avg 8): Davenport 4.8, Hensley 2.5
SF (avg 6): Newman 4.0
SG (avg 3): MAW 1.6, Madsen 1.1
PG (avg 2): DeJulius 1.0, Saunders 1.3

Departures include Eason 12.6, Diarra 10.9, Vogt 8.6, and Keith 6.1. So yes, we have a huge rebounding hole to fill. Everyone on our roster is a below average rebounder.
Here are the current numbers:
C (avg 9): Ado 13.5, Lakhin 13.0, Koval 6.5
PF (avg 8): Davenport 8.2, Ody 13.8, Hensley 5.9
SF (avg 6): Newman 5.4, Madsen 0
SG (avg 3): MAW 1.6, McGinnis 0
PG (avg 2): DeJulius 0.9, Saunders 0.6

Ado, Lakhin, and Ody are the only good rebounders on the team for their position. Davenport and Newman are about average, everyone else is bad.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:57 PM   #39
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
https://evanmiya.com/ has a nice breakdown (go to: team breakdown, players).
I planned to do a post on this when we were 20 games in and the numbers started to mean something. Miya's stats can fill in the gaps between what individual stats show. There still aren't enough possessions to draw definitive conclusions, but it's still interesting.

The thing that stands out most to me is that Koval is our best offensive player per BPR. It think that's mostly because we play a 5 out offense with him on the floor, which makes up for our lack of half court schemes.

Although Ody's individual number isn't great, our best overall lineup (by far) is our starting 5 but swapping Ody for Ado. That tells me Ody struggles when he plays alongside other bench players, but really thrives with experienced guards who can compensate for his mistakes and leverage his strengths.

Our best defensive lineup is Saunders/DDJ/Madsen/Ody/Lakhin. None of those guys are disciplined defenders like Newman and MAW, but they are all extremely active and take risks. It's the chaos lineup.

The best offensive lineup is Saunders/DDJ/Newman/Ody/Lakhin. It's interesting that simply swapping Madsen for Newman changes the lineup from best defense to best offense. This lineup is four players who can get in the lane plus our best interior finisher.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:03 PM   #40
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Can’t pass, too selfish. He was a baby last year over playing time. Can’t teach character.
This is so far from right. The kid is high character. I hope you’re in high school because if you’re an adult you should be embarrassed by your asinine claim.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote