Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-20-2021, 03:12 PM   #31
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

Projected starting lineup: PG: Mikey, SG: DDJ, SF: Newman, PF: Davenport, C: Ado. Chad says he feels pretty confident about this.
Man, trying to space the floor with that lineup is going to be something.

Not sure about DDJ as a 2, he has a 1's game. So does Mikey.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:32 PM   #32
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Man, trying to space the floor with that lineup is going to be something.

Not sure about DDJ as a 2, he has a 1's game. So does Mikey.
Another thing Chad mentioned is we may see some ugly basketball games. We should always bring toughness, physicality and defense, but we may not always score.

It sounds like DDJ has significantly improved in the off-season and has been the main scorer in practice (and scrimmage against former UC players). Also has been shooting threes a lot better.

But even with that, Mikey, Newman and Ado aren't going to do a ton to spread the floor, though word is Saunders 3-point shot has improved. Most of the backups (Koval, Lakhin, Mason/AJ, even MAW/Hensley) can spread the floor though. My guess is that we will see a lot of players rotating through, and Miller will generally try to keep at least three capable 3-point shooters on the floor.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:38 PM   #33
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
It's very interesting to see DD as a SG or off ball considering we have MAW and Madsen there as well (McGinnis too). It piques my interest a BUNCH!! DD and Mikey must be killing it because MAW and Madsen are very nice backups at worst.

At the moment I am not sure who to predict without minutes other than Banks.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:59 PM   #34
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It's very interesting to see DD as a SG or off ball considering we have MAW and Madsen there as well (McGinnis too). It piques my interest a BUNCH!! DD and Mikey must be killing it because MAW and Madsen are very nice backups at worst.

At the moment I am not sure who to predict without minutes other than Banks.
Agreed, I believe near the beginning of this thread I predicted DDJ and Lakhin would be lower than expected minutes. Looks like I was pretty wrong and the season hasn't even started yet.

I'm wondering if perhaps Koval is one who doesn't get many minutes. If Lakhin is really as good as Chad was saying, then he seems to bring better offensive ability than Koval and more strength on defense/rebounding (though probably less shot blocking ability). Koval may get pushed out of the lane a fair amount, if Lakhin can do (almost) everything Koval can do and then some, Koval may be the one left out.

The other guy I still say may not get many minutes is Ody. I think he will play as a small 5 situationally. But I feel like (based on nothing) he is being groomed to play the 5 next year and not expected to play many minutes this year.

I'm guessing Madsen/McGinnis will get plenty of time backing up Newman at the 3 and DDJ at SG. Early on it sounded like Davenport was putting in some work at the 3, but now it sounds like they've settled on him at PF.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:59 AM   #35
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Agreed, I believe near the beginning of this thread I predicted DDJ and Lakhin would be lower than expected minutes. Looks like I was pretty wrong and the season hasn't even started yet.

I'm wondering if perhaps Koval is one who doesn't get many minutes. If Lakhin is really as good as Chad was saying, then he seems to bring better offensive ability than Koval and more strength on defense/rebounding (though probably less shot blocking ability). Koval may get pushed out of the lane a fair amount, if Lakhin can do (almost) everything Koval can do and then some, Koval may be the one left out.

The other guy I still say may not get many minutes is Ody. I think he will play as a small 5 situationally. But I feel like (based on nothing) he is being groomed to play the 5 next year and not expected to play many minutes this year.

I'm guessing Madsen/McGinnis will get plenty of time backing up Newman at the 3 and DDJ at SG. Early on it sounded like Davenport was putting in some work at the 3, but now it sounds like they've settled on him at PF.
Up until practice started I would have said Banks, Hensley, Lakhin, and McGinnis would be the easiest selections to get low minutes. Hard to transfer in Oguama and Koval and then shut them out. I can't imagine Hensely and McGinnis were expecting too much (and Banks). But Hensley at 6'8" and apparently added some muscle and hops would be hard not to see what he can do. Strangely I thought McGinnis would be the sleeper since he has more of a play makers game (which it seems we will need). If Lakhin is impressing it's hard to keep him out as well at 6'11" with a decent shot and some scoring skills.

The competition level should help CWM get the most out of these guys. If you want to play you better go in and give 100!! We have no APPARENT major stars/studs so talent level should be fairly even across the board. It won't be getting any easier next year with the new additions so CWM is basically letting the team know...we are adding as much talent as we can and everyone needs to step up their game if you want to be a key player on a tourney team. And I believe most of these guys are going to respond and those who don't will likely go portal...but I don't expect a mass exodus.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #36
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
We will have to see these guys in action and working together, but offseason plans don't always go as coaches think. Remember our twin towers last year lmao. Sometimes a coaches plan just needs to be a bit exposed by opponents. It just seems so rough trying to play defense with tiny DDJ and Mikey, plus we know Davenport at the 4 is a liability defensively.

We have enough players to have strong offensive or defensive lineups. It will probably take some time and some mixing and matching to find the right fit.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #37
skyblade
Epic Member

It reminds me of what AJ McGinnis said in a recent interview when asked what Wes told him to get him to UNCG. Wes said something along the lines of "I guarantee you nothing". Basically that Wes promised him (and no one) any playing time. He knew he wouldn't be handed anything, that Wes would make him come in, work every day, improve and earn the playing time.

There seem to be a few guys who are clearly going to get major minutes and start all season (DDJ and Davenport). But no one else is clearly above the rest at the moment. It really depends on who performs on the court, who works best with teammates and whether we need (or Miller values) offense or defense more.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #38
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
We will have to see these guys in action and working together, but offseason plans don't always go as coaches think. Remember our twin towers last year lmao. Sometimes a coaches plan just needs to be a bit exposed by opponents. It just seems so rough trying to play defense with tiny DDJ and Mikey, plus we know Davenport at the 4 is a liability defensively.

We have enough players to have strong offensive or defensive lineups. It will probably take some time and some mixing and matching to find the right fit.
There are some serious numbers totals in the potential combination of players this year.

Defensive lineup
Offensive
Mix of both
Chest bump squad

I kid about the last one but I like the idea of the most emotional guys out there at the same time. Davenport has changed momentum in quite a few games in just a couple years just getting everyone fired up. My all Chest Bump Squad? Admittedly don't know a lot about the first two

Ado
Oguama
Davenport
Madsen
Saunders
Old 10-21-2021, 03:46 PM   #39
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It reminds me of what AJ McGinnis said in a recent interview when asked what Wes told him to get him to UNCG. Wes said something along the lines of "I guarantee you nothing". Basically that Wes promised him (and no one) any playing time. He knew he wouldn't be handed anything, that Wes would make him come in, work every day, improve and earn the playing time.

There seem to be a few guys who are clearly going to get major minutes and start all season (DDJ and Davenport). But no one else is clearly above the rest at the moment. It really depends on who performs on the court, who works best with teammates and whether we need (or Miller values) offense or defense more.
I'm gonna add in Newman here because he is the only player that truly fits the 3 spot on the wing and he can play both sides of the ball and will likely be our best perimeter defender. I expect major minutes from him