Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 04-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Why didn't auburn put a "no other SEC school" demand into his release?

Sure would have helped us.
Haha. Yes, it would have....

I cannot tell if you are serious or joking, but schools will rarely restrict a "recruits" choice of school after release from an LOI, as opposed to a player that enrolls, plays a season, then decides to transfer.
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
Jalen Steele waiting for another release
April 9, 2010

So as it turns out, Fulton High School senior guard and Class AA Mr. Basketball Jalen Steele still can't have contact with college basketball coaches -- even after being released Thursday from his national letter of intent by Auburn.

Fulton coach Jody Wright said Friday that the 6-foot-3 Steele was unable to meet with Mississippi State head coach Rick Stansbury, who flew in late Thursday night, because Steele also has to be released from his SEC letter of intent.

Wright said that release will likely come Monday when the conference commissioner returns to the office; however, Monday (April 12) and Tuesday will be dead-period recruiting period days.

That still didn't stop Stansbury from coming. He and Wright met Friday afternoon. Steele's holding pattern hasn't deterred others, either.

Cincinnati, Texas and Ole Miss will try to make it in this weekend.

Steele has four official visits left.

With the amount of teams calling, texting and visiting, he has quite the decision to make to simply even choose where he'll visit. Wisconsin, UCLA, Georgia, Alabama, Florida and LaSalle have also made contact with Wright

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/preps/arch...teele_wa.shtml
Old 04-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

Ole Miss, Miss. St, already after Fulton's Steele
By Jesse Smithey
April 8, 2010

Jody Wright’s cellphone has been pushed to its limit the last few weeks.

Bad thing is: it has no breather on the horizon.

Auburn released Fulton High School senior guard and Class AA Mr. Basketball Jalen Steele from his national letter of intent on Thursday, and it set off another barrage of calls and text messages to Wright — Steele’s coach.

“It’s been wild,” said Wright.

The signing period for basketball begins Wednesday and ends May 19.

Mississippi State coach Rick Stansbury got in touch early with Wright and snagged a plane ticket to Knoxville so he could meet with Steele Thursday night.

Ole Miss assistant coach Torrey Ward called Wright Thursday to set up a meeting with Steele for this morning in Knoxville.

“I’ve heard from everybody from LaSalle to Cincinnati to Wisconsin,” said Wright, “along with the other schools who had been in contact with me before.”

Steele committed to Auburn in September and signed with the Tigers in November. But when coach Jeff Lebo was fired March 12, Steele took a wait-and-see approach to whom Auburn hired.

Meanwhile, shortly after Lebo’s ouster, schools such as UCLA, Cincinnati, Georgia, Miami, Alabama and Florida made calls to Wright.

A few days after meeting with new Auburn coach Tony Barbee on March 29, Steele decided he didn’t mesh with the new direction of the program and asked for a release.

Wright felt Auburn would release Steele. He wasn’t sure when.

“We’re glad not only to have it (the release) but to have it in a timely manner,” said Wright. “It’s good for both parties. It’s good for Auburn, and it’s good for Jalen.

“He’s just relieved. But that was just a part of it for him. Now he’s got to decide. So the whole circus starts again. He knows he’s got another big decision in front of him.”

Wright said it’s not a given that Steele, who averaged 24 points as a senior, will remain in the SEC.

He’s not married to the SEC,” he said. “But I think, obviously, a kid in the South, as I’ve always said, most kids in the South want to play in the SEC or ACC.”

Steele weighed the option of going out west. Getting recruited by UCLA and Southern Cal intrigued him.

Right now, he’s thinking of staying in the South.

“I wanted to go out to California,” he said. “But my family says, ‘No, it’s too far out. We can’t get to you.’ But then again, it might be better for me to go farther away from them to learn life experiences. There are more basketball talents out there to help me get better at my game.

“But I’ll probably stay near the South, stay near them (family members), so they won’t be as worried.”

NCAA coaches have been locked in a recruiting dead period that was lifted Thursday. Another comes Monday through Wednesday of next week. So if Steele is to schedule a visit, it will likely come after the forthcoming dead period.

He has four official visits remaining. He took one (to Auburn) back in the fall.

“Right now,” said Steele, “my uncle (1999 KIL player of the year and former Austin-East standout) Jazz (Kimber) just tells me to take every visit.

“Enjoy it. Soak it all in

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/.../040910steele/
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatAlum1 View Post
Ole Miss, Miss. St, already after Fulton's Steele
By Jesse Smithey
April 8, 2010

Jody Wright’s cellphone has been pushed to its limit the last few weeks.

Bad thing is: it has no breather on the horizon.

Auburn released Fulton High School senior guard and Class AA Mr. Basketball Jalen Steele from his national letter of intent on Thursday, and it set off another barrage of calls and text messages to Wright — Steele’s coach.

“It’s been wild,” said Wright.

The signing period for basketball begins Wednesday and ends May 19.

Mississippi State coach Rick Stansbury got in touch early with Wright and snagged a plane ticket to Knoxville so he could meet with Steele Thursday night.

Ole Miss assistant coach Torrey Ward called Wright Thursday to set up a meeting with Steele for this morning in Knoxville.

“I’ve heard from everybody from LaSalle to Cincinnati to Wisconsin,” said Wright, “along with the other schools who had been in contact with me before.”

Steele committed to Auburn in September and signed with the Tigers in November. But when coach Jeff Lebo was fired March 12, Steele took a wait-and-see approach to whom Auburn hired.

Meanwhile, shortly after Lebo’s ouster, schools such as UCLA, Cincinnati, Georgia, Miami, Alabama and Florida made calls to Wright.

A few days after meeting with new Auburn coach Tony Barbee on March 29, Steele decided he didn’t mesh with the new direction of the program and asked for a release.

Wright felt Auburn would release Steele. He wasn’t sure when.

“We’re glad not only to have it (the release) but to have it in a timely manner,” said Wright. “It’s good for both parties. It’s good for Auburn, and it’s good for Jalen.

“He’s just relieved. But that was just a part of it for him. Now he’s got to decide. So the whole circus starts again. He knows he’s got another big decision in front of him.”

Wright said it’s not a given that Steele, who averaged 24 points as a senior, will remain in the SEC.

He’s not married to the SEC,” he said. “But I think, obviously, a kid in the South, as I’ve always said, most kids in the South want to play in the SEC or ACC.”

Steele weighed the option of going out west. Getting recruited by UCLA and Southern Cal intrigued him.

Right now, he’s thinking of staying in the South.

“I wanted to go out to California,” he said. “But my family says, ‘No, it’s too far out. We can’t get to you.’ But then again, it might be better for me to go farther away from them to learn life experiences. There are more basketball talents out there to help me get better at my game.

“But I’ll probably stay near the South, stay near them (family members), so they won’t be as worried.”

NCAA coaches have been locked in a recruiting dead period that was lifted Thursday. Another comes Monday through Wednesday of next week. So if Steele is to schedule a visit, it will likely come after the forthcoming dead period.

He has four official visits remaining. He took one (to Auburn) back in the fall.

“Right now,” said Steele, “my uncle (1999 KIL player of the year and former Austin-East standout) Jazz (Kimber) just tells me to take every visit.

“Enjoy it. Soak it all in

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/.../040910steele/
Cincinnati's not that far from Tennessee.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Cincinnati's not that far from Tennessee.
And maybe just far enough to let him get away from his parents a bit.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #16
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Jalen put up 46 in the Tennessee R2AA championship game. Scored close to a third of those from the ft line in the final minutes sealing the game.

Some of the Vols fans who have seen him think he will be a role player in college, some say he is a star on the court but has some off court character issues, some say he is the third best player in E. Tennessee. These are fans opinions and should be regarded as such. One thing is certain and that's that the kid can flat shoot the rock. He plays pg for his high school team.

An interesting side note is that UCLA is one of the schools interested in him. With UC and UCLA both being interested in Burton too, I thought that was food for thought. Florida is as well, and Miss. State is hard after him.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 04-14-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #17
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
BearcatReport has a link to there message board that reads that Jelen Steele is visiting UC tonight. I am not able to read the details but this is very interesting news.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #18
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Steele and Burton would ease any worries going into next year.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #19
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Steele is a player who can fill it up from beyond the Arc. Something we desperately need.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:12 AM   #20
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Miss St. and Rick Barnes have really been on him. Ole Miss and Cincy are in the hunt and along with Miss State made a visit to see Mr. Steele last week. I'll look to confirm his visit for tonight.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/preps/arch...ippi_sta.shtml