Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Community Clubhouse > Cronin's Corner

Old 02-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
Mike Bohn's Priorities

What should Mike Bohn's priorities be within the athletic department? Obviously, finishing Nippert and putting butts in the seats; second, to get funding for the refurbishing of Fifth Third Arena; but after that, what should he go after? What needs worked on?
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
What should Mike Bohn's priorities be within the athletic department? Obviously, finishing Nippert and putting butts in the seats; second, to get funding for the refurbishing of Fifth Third Arena; but after that, what should he go after? What needs worked on?
The obvious answer is getting into a better conference. I think that speaks for itself and would dramatically help with one and two.

Beyond that I think getting more donors and supporters of the program. Large and small. Big time donors are important because you need large checks written from time to time. Small time donors are important because it just shows continued support from your fanbase. People invested in the program are less likely to be fair-weather fans and more likely to purchase season tickets. I think as well we need better support with the media to help gain more local support. When basketball was the best show in town in the 90's we were the talk around the watercoolers so to speak and on the front page of the paper, etc., etc. Not to get into a debate when I say this, but the success on the basketball court and even the football field over the past five years is comparable to what it was back then. But the general support in town is far from what it was then. We could debate for hours why and I honestly think there are two major factors only one of which is correctable. First the Bengals success has drastically drawn fan support their way. The Reds are the Reds and will always be a big deal, but the Bengals were an afterthought back then. That in my opinion won't change. The second major factor and one which can be corrected is losing people after the Huggins fiasco. Again, not to get into a debate about the details but simply we need the town's support back. Bohn is the boss of two big figure heads in Tuberville and Cronin. In my opinion those two guys need to be way more active in the community and the media to sell our programs. With Ohio State looming so large everywhere else in the state and Kentucky hoops being so big as soon as you cross the river, we only have our immediate metro area to gain a rabid fanbase. I wish we could own that support but we really don't. That is one area where I think Bohn and Tuberville and Cronin and even Ono need to be more active.