Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #31
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDC View Post
Offensively yes and I loved seeing Cane push the ball up the court for some easy baskets. But he was in during the sloppy defense midway through the 1st half which is what Cronin cares about.

But yea seeing Cane get a driving layup over the 7 footer and then seeing Jenifer shoot a layup like my 8 year old daughter makes it hard to justify leaving JJ in.
jenifer got torched on defense tonight, and no matter how well he understands the switches and rotations, we can't get around the fact that he's just about mick's size - guys just shoot over him without a care (and then he fouls jump shooters, like tonight, probably because he's frustrated by being small and ineffective)
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:08 AM   #32
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman81 View Post
jenifer got torched on defense tonight, and no matter how well he understands the switches and rotations, we can't get around the fact that he's just about mick's size - guys just shoot over him without a care (and then he fouls jump shooters, like tonight, probably because he's frustrated by being small and ineffective)
Jenifer is a kid that tries hard. He just isn’t that talented. The fact that he is our starting PG for 2 years says an awful lot about Mick Cronin ability to recruit....or develop players. Based on some recent development, it appears more like a recruiting issue (minus bugs, other than an nba talent kid the bigs don’t develop much).
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:12 AM   #33
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
I like that we are making it a point to force it down low this game. Cronin obviously wants them to get reps in this game. He actually pulled Scott because he didn’t put the ball back up on a rebound.
Yeah, I thought getting it inside was a point of emphasis this game. Perhaps because of WMU's 7-footer, get our bigs reps against a big defender. Brooks was solid. Yeah he missed a few easy ones, but he made quite a few and he shot better as the game went along. He finished with 15 points and 10 rebounds in 23 minutes, I will take that line from him in any game.

Our bigs (minus Scott) did well. Nsoseme and Diarra combined for another 10 rebounds. We also held Dugan to his 2nd lowest point total and lowest rebound total of the season.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:16 AM   #34
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Despite his very obvious rough moments I thought Brooks ended the night on a solid note and outplayed their big man overall.

It was nice to see Diarra get some real minutes too and not look out of place.
The one thing I didn't understand is why was Diarra subbing in at the 5. Wouldn't it make more sense to use him at the 4 as Scott's backup? Scott played 37 minutes last game (30 this game). He could use a backup and Fredericks so far has not been getting the job done (Fredericks could still get playing time as a 3 anyway).
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #35
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
LOOK ME IN THE EYE

Mick likes Jenifur because he can look him in the eye!
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:29 AM   #36
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
Mick likes Jenifur because he can look him in the eye!

there is a certain respect all shorties give either other.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #37
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Yeah, I thought getting it inside was a point of emphasis this game. Perhaps because of WMU's 7-footer, get our bigs reps against a big defender. Brooks was solid. Yeah he missed a few easy ones, but he made quite a few and he shot better as the game went along. He finished with 15 points and 10 rebounds in 23 minutes, I will take that line from him in any game.

Our bigs (minus Scott) did well. Nsoseme and Diarra combined for another 10 rebounds. We also held Dugan to his 2nd lowest point total and lowest rebound total of the season.
I feel like WMU put up minimal resistance (relatively speaking) on the boards and protecting the rim. In the end Brooks got the job done overall but when he gets into games against medium and high caliber D1 defensive teams and bigs I feel like he is still going to struggle. Getting him the reps right now is all we can do I guess. When it gets more physical he's going to have to be ready to put on the mean face or he will be exposed. He has to go up stronger with the ball!! I am not sure he has that mentality. He still looks awkward to me not only on dunks but when he is trying to make a move it's like he's playing a chess match in his head sometimes. He doesn't have an instinct to just grab the ball and know what to do with it.

We certainly need him to be effective this year so I hope he is up for the challenge. Unfortunately I don't see much help from a small ball perspective putting Fredericks or Moore out there in place of one of the bigs. That's a real bummer. So we need Brooks to be solid. Just a couple of baby hooks per game and 2-3 put backs or alley oop jams. Control the boards and the rim is all I ask from him. Cumberland and Broome and company should be able to get him some easy looks here and there.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #38
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
We are ranked 329th in the country in 3 pt %.

Needless to say I would like to see us shoot the ball much better. Moore, Fredericks, Williams, Broome, and Johnson specifically.

That's about it...make some damn shots.
Did this get better?
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #39
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Jenifer is a kid that tries hard. He just isn’t that talented. The fact that he is our starting PG for 2 years says an awful lot about Mick Cronin ability to recruit....or develop players. Based on some recent development, it appears more like a recruiting issue (minus bugs, other than an nba talent kid the bigs don’t develop much).
Been saying it for years now, along with a lot of people on here. I have no idea what Jenifer provides this team. If you are the other team, you don't even have to guard him. If he makes a three here or there, I am sure they can live with it. I would rather anyone else play.

Recruiting is an issue. To never recruit shooters is odd it 2018. We have recruited 1. Trevor and he isn't looking great. Thats why you recruit more than one shooter but lets keep recruiting athletes and throwing the ball at the rim, and hope for offensive rebounds.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #40
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Keith looked really good. Hope he plays more. only way he is going to learn. Brooks doesn't look great. He will struggle against better teams.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote