Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #91
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Casey Alexander would certainly be that guy. Top 15 tempo each of the last 4 years.
If we are going to get a coach at a mid major, I want Matt McMahon. He obviously can recognize talent, Ja Morant, and he seems to be in on every major grad transfer and transfer he can be. Casey Alexander would be a solid hire but I have a really good feeling about McMahon
Old 04-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #92
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Casey Alexander would certainly be that guy. Top 15 tempo each of the last 4 years.
Casey Alexander is working his way up to be my 2nd choice (or maybe 1b) along with Brannen.

One of the valid complaints about Mick was that he recruited to get teams/players that can run, but never let them go. Next year we should be set up to have the ability to be an excellent fast break team, would be nice to get a coach who can take advantage of that.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #93
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

he's my homerun. checks all the boxes, turned a program around, got in the top 50 on kenpom, top 50 offense and defense, high tempo, proven he can win vs top 100 teams.

i really dont see that with any of the other candidates. i really hope he's on our list, his name isn't in the media at all.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:14 AM   #94
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
FWIW I don't know if it's been posted yet or not but, Kenyon Martin posted on Twitter he essentially is rooting for Nick Van Exel to get the job. Someone commented and asked if K-Mart Jr. would be a bearcat then, KMart Sr responded with "better chance".
Someone also asked him if he had an interest in coaching, and he said "definitely"....this could get interesting real quick
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #95
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i really hope he's on our list, his name isn't in the media at all.
I'm not convinced the media really knows much about the decision process. Even here no one else wants to discuss the top mid-major candidates, which is where the majority of good coaches come from. But I have to think the AD's office is going about things methodically. I hope we don't give in to the local or nostalgic hire when there are options with a superior track record available. Of the list I gave, I think only Mark Schmidt is comparable to Brannen. The others look better to my eye.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #96
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
I'm ready to make that deal, Devil. Give me Rick.
Same.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #97
Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
lets all relax here, we aren't getting Patino, we aren't hiring Van Exel (we would have to pay top assistants to help him), we aren't hiring Thad Motta. They are either gonna keep Savino (on an interm basis) to keep a familiar face for a season to keep this roster in tack and then hit the coach market next year. I personally don't like that philosophy because it would make recruiting very hard for the 2020 class. Or they will hire John Brannon who is more of an offensive minded coach. I don't think Bohn was shocked by this decision for Mick to leave so I think he already had a plan in place for this situation. Bohn has hit a homerun with Fickell and the women's coach so I trust him.

To the people comparing Van Exel to Penny. They couldn't be more different. Penny spent years coaching HS and AAU players building that recruiting pipeline. Van Exel has been coaching in the NBA as an assistant.
I'll give up on the program if they do that. How is that any different than the Andy Kennedy interim that almost killed this program. Don't recruit for 2 years? Sounds like a plan, Jan.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #98
Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coney chef View Post
I thought he did pretty well, under the circumstances on the interim level before Cronin was brought in. He's available I believe, after his stint at Ole Miss. I like Frank Martin too.
Jesus, the "Junior Members" are a hot take factory.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:47 AM   #99
Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftonballer View Post
I'd be ecstatic with any of these:

John Brannen- Seems primed to make a big splash. Tremendous bball acumen and strategist. Would give us a new look and style of play this programs never seen before. Can't go wrong with him it seems. Recruiting unknown but I cant believe he could not get at least the same level of recruits Mick did and get more out of them.

Van Exel- Very highly regarded coach actually. Disciplined and preaches fundamentals. Would be a massive infusion of much needed energy and excitement around the program now that the funeral director has left for LA. Probably something similar to Penny at Memphis and I have to believe recruiting would jump immediately like Memphis. Particularly with how amped up former players are to help sell the program the best way and what it has to offer etc. Thats huge and I know he would use all of them to his advantage. Cronin was too much of a control freak and very offputting to most. If we can just get the recruits in here even if it doesnt work out in several years the cupboards not completely bare.

Pitino- My pick and a big time coup for the program if the administration had the nads to do it. Perfect fit for the city/program and I believe he'd be here tomorrow if we wanted him. The man would go absolute scorched earth campaign on all the NCAA and put every program on high alert in the region. He lives and breathes for basketball with a fervor unlike any coach. He wants revenge so badly and to regain his stature in the college ranks. It would be like unleashing a junkyard dog. He's a guy you despise if he's on the other sideline but love if he's in your corner. What he's done in his personal life and with L'ville has happened many times before. He has his foibles and character flaws. The fact that a guy like Bruce Pearl has a job and any ounce of credibility is why Pitino has a right to be pissed and deserves a second chance. What you see in the media is far from reality many times. Huggins was no choir boy and a Grade A jerk yet our fanbase catered to him. He'd step over most of your dead bodies and not think twice. Same with Mickey, total small man syndrome and very abrasive guy. I actually had the pleasure of staying at Rick Pitino's house in Nantucket in 2003 and he is engaging, funny, and generous. He'd put us back on the map in a huge way and be on his best behavior. The fanbase here would love him in no time. Make it happen!

Thad Matta- X factor candidate. The guy can recruit and flat out coach the game. Consistently wins at high levels wherever he goes. Has big time inroads and connections in this region already. Do not sleep on him he's a very wiley veteran coach. Even with the health issues hes an upgrade from Cronin.
Spot on assessment. Back to the NVE thing. We don't need him to recruit as good as Penny (#1 player, top 5 class) -- we just need something relevant (top #20 player, Top 25 class). NVE is not a scrub coach.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #100
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I hope we don't give in to the local or nostalgic hire when there are options with a superior track record available. Of the list I gave, I think only Mark Schmidt is comparable to Brannen. The others look better to my eye.

Thats where I'm at. I find myself not wanting it to be Brannen because it seems too "easy" of a move.

I dont want anybody tied to the school already and I dont want to pick a guy just because he's from near by and has done a solid job at nku.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote