Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #511
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
Everything ive heard and read is he is highly thought of in the grizzlies organization. Now former players have gone to twitter to lobby the hiring of Van Exel or Erik Martin.
What if we hired NVE as head coach, Kmart, Demarr Johnson, Erik Martin, as the assistants?
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #512
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
Everything ive heard and read is he is highly thought of in the grizzlies organization. Now former players have gone to twitter to lobby the hiring of Van Exel or Erik Martin.
Of course former players would do so. They are biased as hell. And I don't blame them, but that has nothing to do with it being a good hire. As for being highly thought of, again, that's great but doesn't make him a good coach. I'd much rather have someone who has proven they can coach the X's and O's then someone who is only being considered because he was a great player here.

An X's and O's guy, such as Brennan, can hire a great recruiter.

Speaking of which, is Mick taking his staff with him?
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #513
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
What if we hired NVE as head coach, Kmart, Demarr Johnson, Erik Martin, as the assistants?
We'd probably suck at basketball. But I'm sure they'd have fun.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:04 AM   #514
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Of course former players would do so. They are biased as hell. And I don't blame them, but that has nothing to do with it being a good hire. As for being highly thought of, again, that's great but doesn't make him a good coach. I'd much rather have someone who has proven they can coach the X's and O's then someone who is only being considered because he was a great player here.

Yup, if NVE or the other guys really want to coach here, they need to put in the time first. Work as an assistant for a few years at a high level college team or coach at a mid major.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #515
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post

Listen to yourself. Are you looking at the specifics?

Van Exel has been an assistant at the D1 level and coached in the NBA for more than 10 years. Not too many people working in that role. It's competitive. That job doesn't last because you've been skating on past playing success. He has to actually work with the coaching staff and players to achieve the player develop the team wants to see.

But also as a top point guard in college and the pros, Van Exel always had a high basketball IQ. He knew how to set up a play to break down the defense and not just rely on physical skill sets to score. And while I think some NBA coaches fail at the college level because their game plans require stronger athletes than what most college teams can actually recruit, Van Exel has had the benefit of working with many Grizzlies teams that weren't really the most talented, yet they were mostly competitive this past decade. Give the guy some credit that he could impact the program in a real way.

I'm not saying that college coaching experience isn't valuable. Far from it. But Van Exel does have coaching chops and a charisma that just might be a great fit here. Plus, he knows how hard Huggins and Cronin had to work their teams to succeed. You don't always get that from a guy who was mostly in the mid majors as a player and a coach.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #516
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
What is everyone's opinion on Steve Forbes (ETSU) and Chris Jans (NMS)?
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #517
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Better question. Who is the best couple coaches in our conference and would we ever be in the position to steal them?
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #518
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
What is everyone's opinion on Steve Forbes (ETSU) and Chris Jans (NMS)?
I would be on board with either of those guys.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #519
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
Better question. Who is the best couple coaches in our conference and would we ever be in the position to steal them?
I would take Gregg Marshall in a heartbeat, but I doubt it can happen.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #520
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I would be on board with either of those guys.
Hey Jans appears to be a winner.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote