Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2019, 01:22 AM   #191
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
I'm generally thinking a younger coach at this point. (Although Brannan is not that much younger than Cronin.)

The one older coach I would be upset if they did hire him would be Matta. I'm not saying they should hire him, but it's at least a respectable hire that could get something done here.

I seriously think the coaches at Wright State and Murray State have some serious upside.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:12 AM   #192
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
No thanks I’ll keep mine. Giving up on the Bearcats I see. Guess just a mick fan after all
Hell yes I’ll give up on the Bearcats if they hire Martin.

You vote your approval of a program with your money. They’d lose my money for the worst hire I could think of.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:48 AM   #193
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on Martin:

Would be estactic if it was the K-State version. He had them rolling for a program that had largely been dormant for awhile. Now, it awoke with the Huggins hire, but Martin averaged over 24 wins in his 5 seasons, had some nice tourney teams, and some real nice players.

However, I won't pretend to know why his SC teams aren't good outside of the one F4 run (which they were a 7 seed and got ridiculously hot at the right time).

A part of me thinks he could do a lot of good here. He's intense, has a background with inner city young men and mentorship, and is demanding of his guys. However, another part of me flashes major concern.

In reality though, I'm not 100% in on any of the names I've heard and I think whoever it will be comes with some fan hesitation (basing this solely off names I've heard).

He's not at the bottom of my list. I have heard worse/more questionable names thus far.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:13 AM   #194
Bearcats92

Bearcats92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
Thoughts on Martin:

Would be estactic if it was the K-State version. He had them rolling for a program that had largely been dormant for awhile. Now, it awoke with the Huggins hire, but Martin averaged over 24 wins in his 5 seasons, had some nice tourney teams, and some real nice players.

However, I won't pretend to know why his SC teams aren't good outside of the one F4 run (which they were a 7 seed and got ridiculously hot at the right time).

A part of me thinks he could do a lot of good here. He's intense, has a background with inner city young men and mentorship, and is demanding of his guys. However, another part of me flashes major concern.

In reality though, I'm not 100% in on any of the names I've heard and I think whoever it will be comes with some fan hesitation (basing this solely off names I've heard).

He's not at the bottom of my list. I have heard worse/more questionable names thus far.
I agree he isn’t the worst hire but he’s also not on the top of my list. When at k-state he took them to an elite eight. When he was hired at South Carolina the AD told him it would take 3-4 years to get that program turned around because it was such a mess. That fourth year he took them to the final four. He was also jipped out of the tournament 2 times while at SC. It would be an interesting hire but I would rather go with Pitino, NVE or Brannon.
Bearcats92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:21 AM   #195
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcats92 View Post
I agree he isn’t the worst hire but he’s also not on the top of my list. When at k-state he took them to an elite eight. When he was hired at South Carolina the AD told him it would take 3-4 years to get that program turned around because it was such a mess. That fourth year he took them to the final four. He was also jipped out of the tournament 2 times while at SC. It would be an interesting hire but I would rather go with Pitino, NVE or Brannon.
Make no mistake about it. Rick Pitino is my first choice...I understand that could come back and bite us...but my god think of the possibilities?? X fans would literally shit out of pure fear.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:34 AM   #196
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
The financials make absolutely no sense for Martin. Wouldn't be shocked if Martin was contacted in some manner, but he probably had this leaked to get a raise. The money just doesn't work unless the salary information and buyout is wrong or UC is prepared to pay a ton more than they did to Cronin, both which seem unlikely.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:34 AM   #197
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
I really don't want anybody with connections to UC or Huggins or Mick. I just want a fresh start.

I think the fanbase needs somebody from the outside. We don't need another hire where a group of the fanbase will never support him. Being at games in the early cronin years you'd hear people all game talking about how they couldn't stand him.

We could probably find worse than Frank Martin, but I just don't want him here.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #198
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
I'm still all in on Pitino. 100%.

If not him, and it appears it won't be him...

More established coaches: only going off what I've read, the names here are Matta and Martin. Neither one very exciting and each has significant drawbacks. I'd pick martin though from those 2.

Up and comers: Steve Forbes, Matt McMahon, and Steve Brennan interest me the most. I'd pick Forbes from that group, but I obviously don't have enough information on any to really pick the best. McMahon interests me cause he found extreme talent. He concerns me cause was Ja Morant responsible for all of his success? Brennan seems like a solid coach, but a bit uninspiring. I mean, it's the Horizon. And I fear that him being close is a reason he is in the mix and that seem very strange to me.

New: NVE. I don't want Nick. I would love it if he was willing to work on the staff of the new coach though.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #199
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
I'm still all in on Pitino. 100%.

If not him, and it appears it won't be him...

More established coaches: only going off what I've read, the names here are Matta and Martin. Neither one very exciting and each has significant drawbacks. I'd pick martin though from those 2.

Up and comers: Steve Forbes, Matt McMahon, and Steve Brennan interest me the most. I'd pick Forbes from that group, but I obviously don't have enough information on any to really pick the best. McMahon interests me cause he found extreme talent. He concerns me cause was Ja Morant responsible for all of his success? Brennan seems like a solid coach, but a bit uninspiring. I mean, it's the Horizon. And I fear that him being close is a reason he is in the mix and that seem very strange to me.

New: NVE. I don't want Nick. I would love it if he was willing to work on the staff of the new coach though.
The fact that “it’s the horizon” or coaches are winning at lower levels shouldnt mean anything. You can only win the league you are in. It’s still hard to win those leagues. Everyone is recruiting at the same level and trying to win in those leagues. Just like other leagues
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:52 AM   #200
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
The fact that “it’s the horizon” or coaches are winning at lower levels shouldnt mean anything. You can only win the league you are in. It’s still hard to win those leagues. Everyone is recruiting at the same level and trying to win in those leagues. Just like other leagues
I understand your statement...but I still think it matters. Doesn't mean he wouldn't be successful but it is a negative in my opinion. I'm going to get behind any coach they hire, and I would get behind Brennan for sure. Just my concern.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote