Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #241
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
So you are saying being a highschool headcoach surpasses being an NBA assistant that's interesting... Or GLeague experience? And I guess our former Impactful players don't know what they are talking about either, you knw the likes of Corie Blount, Kenyon Martin and Terry Nelson. Jerry Stackhouse as well just to throw his name in there. I actually thought Mick was a good coach but NVE would make UC cool again and it's important we carry on the tradition that got us to this point. We are fortunate enough to have guys that want to be involved and who have positioned themselves to Garner such a position. Not every program has that, yea some don't succeed but you can't go off judging everyone the same NVE is a unique guy that many respect. I gaurantee he would get Cumberland to stay
You mean ex-players are lobbying for an ex-player to be coach? Shocker...in all seriousness, it's not a knock on NVE as a person or necessarily as a coach. I don't care about being "cool" again, I'd watch watch ice cube's league if that were the case. I want to win and I wanna keep winning if possible. NVE is just too big of a question mark at this point with the program.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #242
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
My guy you are the one trying to sell a coach who has no HC experience, no recruiting ties. Basically the exact opposite of what Penny Hardaway was and you are telling me I am reaching? Just because he was in the NBA means top recruits want to play for him? But yes I am reaching. I understand everything you are saying I really do and whomever they hire I hope does well.
All these guys have ties. If you have been around the game forever, there is a good chance you know a lot of people and have some kind of “ties”. Just because we don’t know what or who they are doesn’t mean he doesn’t know people.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #243
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
All these guys have ties. If you have been around the game forever, there is a good chance you know a lot of people and have some kind of “ties”. Just because we don’t know what or who they are doesn’t mean he doesn’t know people.
I know what you mean, the point I was trying to make it yes I am sure he has ties, I didn't mean for it to come out like he has absolutely zero ties to recruiting. I was just saying a lot of people compare this to Penny Hardaway. Penny was coaching AAU with high school recruits, he has made relationships. NVE may have that or he may not, what I was saying is we just don't know. With Penny you knew.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #244
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
I know what you mean, the point I was trying to make it yes I am sure he has ties, I didn't mean for it to come out like he has absolutely zero ties to recruiting. I was just saying a lot of people compare this to Penny Hardaway. Penny was coaching AAU with high school recruits, he has made relationships. NVE may have that or he may not, what I was saying is we just don't know. With Penny you knew.
We don’t know about anyone’s recruiting ties. People like chad are the only people that know that kind of thing. We don’t.

Also no one has ties like penny. He coached the best team in the country. That’s a once in a lifetime situation.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #245
Bearcats92

Bearcats92 is on a distinguished road
Martin is out
Bearcats92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #246
ChesterCat

ChesterCat is on a distinguished road
I think the reason that there are no obvious home run choices, in part, is that we are not one of the blue blood schools. Therefore, anyone coming here would either have to be making a lateral move or a move up from one of the lower conferences. Also, I do not understand why a number of people keep commenting saying things like our program is on the brink or our program is teetering. We are infinitely better than we were 13 years ago when it seemed as if our program might be on the brink of never having any kind of meaning whatsoever ever again. We are a major level school that has been to the tournament for nine straight years. We have multiple 25 + win seasons. We have a good roster with good players coming in. I don't believe that we are anymore on the brink or teetering than any other school who might have to find a coach. We are certainly a lot better off than many.
ChesterCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #247
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Martin pulls his name from consideration

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...45395684749313
Thank goodness, because he would be an insanely bad choice. He will likely be involuntarily retired in another year.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #248
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
YES!!! Recruits a rather sign up and play with NVE and his crew than any other option we have unless it's former NBA guy that's on TV. Kids want be attached to NBA any chance they get
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:54 PM   #249
Michigancat

Michigancat is on a distinguished road
mark few

I don't understand why UC doesn't go after Mark Few. He would be moving to a more competitive league and playing against better teams.
Michigancat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #250
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigancat View Post
I don't understand why UC doesn't go after Mark Few. He would be moving to a more competitive league and playing against better teams.
Surely you jest.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote