Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #1621
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Yah...Brannen could have said I want my 4's to be stretch 4's or else I am running small with wings. That would/could have really limited his potential minutes. He may have a 6'8" frame but if he's not a shot blocker or a shooter it's hard to see who he would get in the game before. He's not a 5. He's not a 3.

Tre Scott and Diara can both shoot a little and they can both jump. And we can't sleep on Gillam.
Hardnett looked very similar to the Tre Scott mold. A guy who can shoot a little and can jump. Only he has a better ability to handle the basketball.

He can't shoot as well as our wings, but I thought his size and ability to grab rebounds and block shots would have made him a guy who regularly played off the bench.

There were multiple reports that he wasn't developing as fast as would be liked in practice (I believe even before Cronin left), so maybe he wouldn't have gotten playing time. But a team that already looked small just lost another one of it's few big men and I can't really that as a positive.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #1622
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I'm not really seeing the versatile wings and stretch 4's. Hardnett looked like he had the potential to be a very good stretch 4.

Brannen seems to be recruiting like he doesn't care about having bigs on the floor. We've added plenty of talented guards and two centers (Vogt, Sorolla) who look like they won't belong on the court.

We may only have 3 players taller than 6'5" playing this year (Scott, Diarra, Sorolla) - and only one of them is proven. That looks less like options and more like a team that will have major problems against teams that have capable big men.

Big men are the most difficult players to recruit (more limited supply) and having quality big men is often what separates low/mid-majors from high-majors. With their ability to block shots and grab rebounds, big men can have a much larger impact on the game. Big men also generally take longer to develop, so we are probably looking at a multiple year issue.

We are going to have to hope that a lot of our guys play bigger than they are. Otherwise I can see us getting badly beaten on the boards and that's going to make winning difficult.
Brannen is recruiting several bigs for next year. Highly rated ones. But this late in the summer, you most likely aren’t gonna find great bigs for next year.

While it is great to have bigs and I am also concerned with our lack of bigs, Houston did pretty well last year with awful bigs. I think we can survive in this league without many skilled bigs.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #1623
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Snapper View Post
Zach Harvey narrowly avoided prison last year after facing two felony counts of sexual exploitation of a child.
This is incredibly disingenuous. You should be ashamed. The kid (yes kid) had a nude photo of a classmate on his phone. He was 55-days older than her and she sent it to him.

Seriously, I hope you get a chance to witness our justice system first-hand some day.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #1624
Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Snapper View Post
I guarantee that would not be the majority attitude around here if he was signing with, say, Xavier. Multiple boys involved in an incident that resulted in them taking and sharing sexually explicit material of a single younger girl is sure as hell not something that 95% of all teenagers are guilty of.

He pled down and there is nothing stopping him from getting a scholarship and moving on, but 1. let's realize this isn't just Brannen landing an amazing player in a vacuum 2. normalizing this sort of thing with "everyone does it" just because he stands to help your team win games is precisely what leads to wild abuses - pretty much every university athletics sex scandal (and there have been far too many) metastasizes because people rationalize unacceptable behavior because doing so helps "their side" win games.
You didn't get laid in High School -- we get it.

Consenting sex between a 16 and 15 year old is a felony in Kansas.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #1625
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not really seeing the versatile wings and stretch 4's. Hardnett looked like he had the potential to be a very good stretch 4.

Brannen seems to be recruiting like he doesn't care about having bigs on the floor. We've added plenty of talented guards and two centers (Vogt, Sorolla) who look like they won't belong on the court.

We may only have 3 players taller than 6'5" playing this year (Scott, Diarra, Sorolla) - and only one of them is proven. That looks less like options and more like a team that will have major problems against teams that have capable big men.

Big men are the most difficult players to recruit (more limited supply) and having quality big men is often what separates low/mid-majors from high-majors. With their ability to block shots and grab rebounds, big men can have a much larger impact on the game. Big men also generally take longer to develop, so we are probably looking at a multiple year issue.

We are going to have to hope that a lot of our guys play bigger than they are. Otherwise I can see us getting badly beaten on the boards and that's going to make winning difficult.
Brannen didn't have to recruit the stretch 4 because they were on the team and they probably didn't put their name in the portal because they saw a fit. As for versatile wings...MAW, Davenport, Cumberland, Harvey?? Davenport could even be a stretch 4.

Anyway, I think you might be over valuing the bigs a little. We played our best NCAA tourney with Gates and 4 guys 6'4" or under. When Justin Jackson was a senior we also had Rubles and that was about it. Nyarcuk got less minutes than Diara did last year. We did have Lawrence but that was generally a train wreck.

We have plenty of height and options to get the job done. The fact that Hardnett was (perhaps) considered expendable should tell you MOST of what you need to know. Either Brannen didn't see it in him or he saw MORE in other players. This assumes Hardnett was in the portal because of Harvey...which IDK.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #1626
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Hardnett looked very similar to the Tre Scott mold. A guy who can shoot a little and can jump. Only he has a better ability to handle the basketball.

He can't shoot as well as our wings, but I thought his size and ability to grab rebounds and block shots would have made him a guy who regularly played off the bench.

There were multiple reports that he wasn't developing as fast as would be liked in practice (I believe even before Cronin left), so maybe he wouldn't have gotten playing time. But a team that already looked small just lost another one of it's few big men and I can't really that as a positive.
How often do you need to get down to your 4th option at big? If you have to do that I think most coaches would just opt to play small with superior basketball players on the wing. This assumes Hardnett was even the 4th option as a big. Gillam may have been before him. Gillam seemed to remind some fans of Hicks and he was no more than 6'6" with shoes on. On defense Cumberland is also capable of putting a body on a big in a pinch.

Emergency minutes is about all I can think we would be missing...and we have other options for emergencies.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #1627
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
I don't understand then why sleep on Laquil. I just thought he and Gilliam would contribute and get mins based off eye test. Laquil just looked like there was a bunch of potential within his frame he just needed some coaching and kinks to be ironed out ofcourse he wasn't a 5 star but yea, his length and athletisicm was going to help us this yr. As of right now I have no faith in diarra being as strong as we need him to be down low until he proves it
I am only basing my opinion off of what has just happened. Assuming Q went into the portal because of Harvey and/or a talk with Brannen about playing time...I would not need to know any more.

Because if Q was less expendable than say Gillam or Diara etc...then perhaps someone else would be in the portal?

Initially I though Hardnett would fit okay in an up and down style of ball because he ran PG for 3 years in HS. But apparently coach is looking for a different skill set from his 4 than just being a ball handler.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #1628
Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Brannen didn't have to recruit the stretch 4 because they were on the team and they probably didn't put their name in the portal because they saw a fit. As for versatile wings...MAW, Davenport, Cumberland, Harvey?? Davenport could even be a stretch 4.

Anyway, I think you might be over valuing the bigs a little. We played our best NCAA tourney with Gates and 4 guys 6'4" or under. When Justin Jackson was a senior we also had Rubles and that was about it. Nyarcuk got less minutes than Diara did last year. We did have Lawrence but that was generally a train wreck.

We have plenty of height and options to get the job done. The fact that Hardnett was (perhaps) considered expendable should tell you MOST of what you need to know. Either Brannen didn't see it in him or he saw MORE in other players. This assumes Hardnett was in the portal because of Harvey...which IDK.
The 2014-15 Villanova team convinced me traditional back to the basket big men were not needed in today's college basketball.

Here was their roster:

6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)
6 ft 5 in (1.96 m) - Starter
6 ft 6 in (1.98 m) - Starter
6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)
6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)
6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) - Starter
6 ft 7 in (2.01 m) - Starter
6 ft 11 in (2.11 m) - Starter
6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Old 06-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #1629
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
The 2014-15 Villanova team convinced me traditional back to the basket big men were not needed in today's college basketball.

Here was their roster:

6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)
6 ft 5 in (1.96 m) - Starter
6 ft 6 in (1.98 m) - Starter
6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)
6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)
6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) - Starter
6 ft 7 in (2.01 m) - Starter
6 ft 11 in (2.11 m) - Starter
6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
I don't think a traditional back to the basket big is needed. But, some size is needed for defensive and rebounding purposes. If we have Scott start at the 5 (which is looking increasingly likely based on our players) our starters would be.

Scott 6 ft 8 in - starter
Williams 6 ft 5 in - starter
Jarron 6 ft 5 in - starter
Jaevin 6 ft 3 in - starter
McNeal 6 ft 1 in - starter

Vogt 7 ft 1 in - RS
Sorolla 7 ft 1 in - backup C
Diarra 6 ft 9 in - backup C
Moore 6 ft 5 in
Prince 6 ft 5 in
Davenport 6 ft 5-7? in - Red Shirt?
Harvey 6 ft 4 in
MAW 6 ft 3 in

Even compared to Villinova's 14-15 team, UC's starters would be quite small. Most small teams seem to have a lot of guys in the 6'6" to 6'8" range, we have a lot of guys in the 6'3" to 6'5" range.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #1630
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
You didn't get laid in High School -- we get it.
Consenting sex between a 16 and 15 year old is a felony in Kansas.
We don't have even close to enough information to come to a conclusion in this case, but dismissing criticism of his potential actions with machismo is frankly disgusting. We have no idea what the girl's side of the story is. There are many scenarios in which she may have been coerced that should be considered unacceptable. There are also scenarios in which Harvey may have been the victim of targeted racism, being charged with crimes that are selectively enforced. These scenarios cannot be ignored simply because lots of kids get laid in high school.

Quote:
It is unclear how police believe the boys came into possession of the image or video. Snapchat was subpoenaed for evidence, according to the criminal complaint. The app has been the subject of unrelated complaints at Seaman High School, where several girls have said they have been harassed and coerced into contributing nude photos of themselves.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote