Cougars by 1-4 points 0 0%
Cougars by 5+ points 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #191
Bearcats92

Bearcats92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by collards View Post
Maybe JC deserved to be benched as he let the guy get right around him on defense. MC should have at least got in his face, but he was either afraid that would mess with his confidence or MC quit. It was clear that JC did and his head is not right.
Cronin has been asking Cumberland all year if he has needed a breather and Cumberland keeps playing. This was the first game that Cumberland had asked to come out for a breather. Cronin said Cumberland could barely walk after the game. Let’s give them both passes because I would rather have Cumberland rested and ready for the big dance.
Bearcats92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #192
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I thought I would be ecstatic with the record we have achieved. I probably would be a lot happier if we were in better form. We are limping into post season rather than heading in on a high note. Either way I am proud of this bunch for getting into that 6 or 7 seed range. The prognosis pre season and especially after the OSU game was much lower so gotta give them some kudos.

This team needs to pull it together, however, if we are going to make any waves. We are tired. We are not as deep as we thought. Our team effort and focus is obviously going to have to get better and start with Cumberland as our supporting cast is solid but not spectacular.

The biggest thing I think we are going to need to do is start making some tough contested 2 point shots and play like gamers. We have to open it up a little for our 3 ball game as we will be forced to make other teams pay first before they will ease off the perimeter D. Obviously we have to do all the little things like rebound, take care of the ball, play D, make FT's etc...but you have to make tough shots in March if you want to advance.

Make some tough shots!! That's what it all boils down to. We can't have our guards making 20-30% of their 2's (Cumberland, Broome, Williams, Jenifer). If we can't make tough 2 point shots we won't get many open looks from 3.

Some other teams are playing much better at the right time. We have to flip that switch right now or it will continue to go downhill.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #193
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I would also like to say something to those who think this site has gone down hill because of some negative posts or that the site is dead. Well, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Over the course of a few years many of the most problematic posters were banned due to trolling or being ultra negative. It's hardly ever that the most ultra optimistic posters get banned. IMO both of them are annoying but it's easier to swallow the post of an irrational optimist for many fans.

It's a catch 22. Either you get complaints the site is dead or there are too many negative posts. There are other sites that turned into a grave yard when they cleaned the house of all the critics. I have yet to find a vibrant fan board that doesn't include the critics and the optimists.

Yet these same fans that complain will engage the poster or the posts that they don't appreciate which perpetuates the entire discussion. Find a little self restraint and ignore it. I know it's a crazy and novel idea but you do not have to argue with fans you find irrational.

Be careful what you wish for because when all the critics are gone it will make for a dull board and then the complaints will be that the board is dying. It's a fan board...and everyone has differing opinions based on their own hopes and expectations...however irrational they might seem to be TO YOU.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #194
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I think the best way to avoid conflicts is to keep threads on topic. It should be possible to keep all of the general repetitive negativity or unbridled optimism confined to a few threads about Mick, the future of the program, or past performance. Game threads here are sort of like open threads, where pretty much anything goes. Threads about metrics, stats, bracketology and individual recruits can be limited to those topics. That way everyone can do what they want, whether it's mud wrestling or number crunching. I think we've been pretty close to achieving that recently.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #195
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would also like to say something to those who think this site has gone down hill because of some negative posts or that the site is dead. Well, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

last season killed it for a lot of people. traffic was way down here all year long. it never really bounced back. there's a growing state of apathy among the fan base.

being good in a bad conference and getting to the tournament is consistency, but it doesn't pull people in. people might not remember, or maybe aren't old enough, but people were starting to turn on huggins back in the day too. 1 sweet 16 his final 9 years and people were starting to question him and he even had 2 elite 8's and a ff here.

its just the nature of the beast. its not exclusive to UC fans and its not exclusive to college basketball. Look what Toronto did to Casey last year.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #196
collards

collards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcats92 View Post
Cronin has been asking Cumberland all year if he has needed a breather and Cumberland keeps playing. This was the first game that Cumberland had asked to come out for a breather. Cronin said Cumberland could barely walk after the game. Let’s give them both passes because I would rather have Cumberland rested and ready for the big dance.
Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today as we don't know what it will bring. How often do you get a chance to win a Conference championship on national tv. It was 6 minutes and look at all the damage control Mick has had to do. You bring the game to win. I realize that the game was decided in the first half, but they were embarrassed on national tv. I watched Clark kellog bring it up. Nice recruiting promo (for Houston).
collards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:08 PM   #197
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today as we don't know what it will bring. How often do you get a chance to win a Conference championship on national tv. It was 6 minutes and look at all the damage control Mick has had to do. You bring the game to win. I realize that the game was decided in the first half, but they were embarrassed on national tv. I watched Clark kellog bring it up. Nice recruiting promo (for Houston).
How was the game decided in the first half when we were up 6 with 13 minutes left lmao
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:35 PM   #198
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
How was the game decided in the first half when we were up 6 with 13 minutes left lmao

thats what mick said actually
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #199
collards

collards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I didn't know Mick said that. I just watched the game. I see that you missed it. You had too or you would have never made such a statement and then laughed.
collards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:34 AM   #200
Union Bearcat

Union Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I didn't know Mick said that. I just watched the game. I see that you missed it. You had too or you would have never made such a statement and then laughed.
Obviously the game wasn't decided in the first half.
Union Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote