Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #1211
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
To be fair I don’t know a whole lot about Gates other then glancing at his kenpom and his 50 point loss to Ohio
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:11 PM   #1212
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
To be fair I don’t know a whole lot about Gates other then glancing at his kenpom and his 50 point loss to Ohio
Who cares if they lost by 100. Go look at Cleveland states record the 4-5 years leading up to when he got there. He turned it around in year 2
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:36 PM   #1213
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Who cares if they lost by 100. Go look at Cleveland states record the 4-5 years leading up to when he got there. He turned it around in year 2
Dumbest shit I’ve ever heard. They lost by 50. We just lost by 50 twice
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:44 PM   #1214
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I wasn’t saying it as an argument , I was saying it as I don’t know enough about him, we lost by 50 twice.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:57 PM   #1215
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Dumbest shit I’ve ever heard. They lost by 50. We just lost by 50 twice
So what. Mick used to get drilled by 40 all the time in the beginning of his tenure when he didn’t have players. You get better players and get better. Ohio has a pro on their team. Houston was good. We weren’t. North Carolina gets drilled by Virginia once a year. Who cares if you lose by 20 or 40.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:11 PM   #1216
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So what. Mick used to get drilled by 40 all the time in the beginning of his tenure when he didn’t have players. You get better players and get better. Ohio has a pro on their team. Houston was good. We weren’t. North Carolina gets drilled by Virginia once a year. Who cares if you lose by 20 or 40.
I thought it was made clear a couple good years in the horizon isn’t good enough to be the coach at UC.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:17 PM   #1217
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
I thought it was made clear a couple good years in the horizon isn’t good enough to be the coach at UC.
It’s honestly not.

But people think that coaches are jumping out of their skin to coach at UC and it’s not the case.

Uc is not a destination job. So keeping Mick should have been priority one.

No matter what, there isn’t a coach on our hot board who will win 89 games in a 3 year span. It ain’t happening.

All I know is... John Brannen sucks. As a coach and as a human. I hope he never coaches again.

Being better than John Brannen won’t be hard
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:24 PM   #1218
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
It’s honestly not.

But people think that coaches are jumping out of their skin to coach at UC and it’s not the case.

No matter what, there isn’t a coach on our hot board who will win 89 games in a 3 year span. It ain’t happening.

All I know is... John Brannen sucks. As a coach and as a human. I hope he never coaches again.

Being better than John Brannen won’t be hard
I think it was you specifically that said two years of success in the horizon league didn’t mean shit.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #1219
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

I don’t even care who they get. Just need a brand of basketball that can win in March, unlike our previous two coaches.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:29 PM   #1220
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
It’s honestly not.

It's to the point where I'm actually hoping (at least for your sake) that you're related to Mick Cronin, or that you are a close friend of the family.

Because if you're not, then you're level of fandom for Mick Cronin in borderline disturbing. It's been clear since day 1 of the Brannen hire that you were butthurt about your boy leaving. You would have thought we just let John Wooden walk out the door.

Don't get me wrong, Mick Cronin is a decent coach but there's plenty of argument to be made that it was time to move on.

Also, you have zero clue just how good are next coach could be. They could very well end up being more successfull here than Mick. At least give them a chance.

PS Quit focusing solely on win totals. You completely ignore the strength of the OOC, and the strength of the conference over those 3 years. Don't tell me a coach that *only* wins 75 games over that same 3 years and advance further in the tournament isn't the more successful coach.