Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2021, 08:52 PM   #1451
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Looking at Torvik over the last three years for UNCG: It seems like they exceled at not turning the ball over, forcing TO's, offensive rebounding, not giving up free throws and adjusted defense.

Biggest weakness: Three point percentage, getting to the FT line and three point defense (in 2019 and 2020, they were much better in 2021 and 2018).

The effective FG% defense was very good last year (and in 2018), but again bad the two years prior, directly related (I assume) to their three point % defense.

Tempo is in the low 100s to high 200s. Not exactly fast paced, but not quite the snails pace Cronin likes to play at. Quite a wide range though (5 in his first full year to 319 in 2018, indicating a willingness to adjust to his players).
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:52 PM   #1452
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Mick was top recruiter in nation
Then he was worst coach
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:54 PM   #1453
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Looking at Torvik over the last three years for UNCG: It seems like they exceled at not turning the ball over, forcing TO's, offensive rebounding, not giving up free throws and adjusted defense.

Biggest weakness: Three point percentage, getting to the FT line and three point defense (in 2019 and 2020, they were much better in 2021 and 2018).

The effective FG% defense was very good last year (and in 2018), but again bad the two years prior, directly related (I assume) to their three point % defense.

Tempo is in the low 100s to high 200s. Not exactly fast paced, but not quite the snails pace Cronin likes to play at. Quite a wide range though (5 in his first full year to 319 in 2018, indicating a willingness to adjust to his players).
I don’t like
Old 04-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #1454
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
I have my doubts he can turn this or wants State of Cincinnati. He gets them “dudes” to play for him though.
I'm with what Chad said in his podcast regarding the "State of Cincinnati". There's really just not that much talent in Cincinnati for basketball. A guy every year or two, but with basketball getting guys who fit your system and want to play for you is more important. Recruit them from all over, don't limit yourself to Cincinnati.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:57 PM   #1455
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm with what Chad said in his podcast regarding the "State of Cincinnati". There's really just not that much talent in Cincinnati for basketball. A guy every year or two, but with basketball getting guys who fit your system and want to play for you is more important. Recruit them from all over, don't limit yourself to Cincinnati.
Don’t tell the real mick
Old 04-14-2021, 09:00 PM   #1456
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
So chad post watching stealing from me again I see
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:00 PM   #1457
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I don’t like
At this point I'm not sure if you're serious or not. You're always the positive one... I'm supposed to be the negative guy here (well other than Justin).

Given the options, Wes Miller had by far the best resume of the up-and-comers. Yes he needs to work on his offense, but he should know that and get an assistant to help him. Getting better recruits will help him out as well.

This seems like a bridging of the gap, getting away from the Huggins coaching tree. But getting somebody who's going to get tough, defensive minded guys who bring it on every possession.

Though to be fair, I enjoy watching 55-50 slugfest as long as we come out on top.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #1458
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Then he was worst coach
Probably not as difficult getting guys to sign up to play for huggs and slick Rick than it was getting them to sign up to play the most boring brand of basketball on the planet.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:02 PM   #1459
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Teague just won title. Carlik first team all ACC. McBride ncaa. Kid from Princeton nba. Hayes nba
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #1460
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
At this point I'm not sure if you're serious or not. You're always the positive one... I'm supposed to be the negative guy here (well other than Justin).

Given the options, Wes Miller had by far the best resume of the up-and-comers. Yes he needs to work on his offense, but he should know that and get an assistant to help him. Getting better recruits will help him out as well.

This seems like a bridging of the gap, getting away from the Huggins coaching tree. But getting somebody who's going to get tough, defensive minded guys who bring it on every possession.

Though to be fair, I enjoy watching 55-50 slugfest as long as we come out on top.
I want offense not defense. I will be the most positive guy you can remember but I don’t have to like it