Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #351
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
While it's good to land someone who will have relatively modest expectations about their role and playing time next season (meaning that they'll likely be more invested for the long term), it makes it all the more important that the next frontcourt player we add is more-than-capable from day 1.
One other thing that helps with the UNCG transfers is some have experience in the system. But one of them does not and the others only have 1 year. 1 year is better than none I guess.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:20 PM   #352
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Anyone know just how well he shot the 3 ball in HS? From the highlights I saw it doesn't seem like he creates space very well and he's not going to get some of those shots off in the AAC. He's got some moves but doesn't have the athleticism to blow past anyone. He doesn't seem like he's going to dunk anything that doesn't require a running start.

Is he good on D?

Other than perhaps shooting (IDK) I would think Tari would have him in most categories here so I don't know how the ranking came out.
Not really sure how / why he was rated so high out of HS. Seems like something is off?
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:05 PM   #353
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Wes must have great relationships with his guys. Hensley came in as a 4 star, didn't really play, and still followed Wes.

We had trouble retaining guys that played a lot at the end of the year.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:04 PM   #354
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
The concern for me right now is we have no proven rebounder. No one on our current roster has an OReb rate above 6.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:38 PM   #355
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
The concern for me right now is we have no proven rebounder. No one on our current roster has an OReb rate above 6.
We need a high level atheltic big.. and fast.

I fully expect wes to go after some big fish at this point.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:26 PM   #356
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Hensley is a high rated recruit and for good reason I think. He has very good (not great) athleticism and balls skills. Higher rated than Tari was. Stretch 4 or undersized 5 depending on the situation. Probably JD's backup for the most part next year.

But yes, we need some elite athletes who can go get it on the boards. Koval/Lakhin is not a center duo that seems likely to give us a high percentage of rebounds. If we have to live with them for a year while we develop somebody else, so be it. But we need to get that somebody else on the roster.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:43 PM   #357
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Where is Hensley's 4 star rating coming from? Verbalcommits has him as a 2 star. Rivals says 3 with a 149 ranking, but I wonder if that's a default placeholder value or something like that. On his rankings history graph it shows "NR" throughout, with 149 being the lowest ranking just above NR. I'm confused how he could be so highly regarded and only have one p5 offer and no interest from any other traditional basketball school.

I don't really care about his ranking if Wes is confident in his potential. I just want to know why everyone is saying he was highly rated.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:07 PM   #358
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Where is Hensley's 4 star rating coming from? Verbalcommits has him as a 2 star. Rivals says 3 with a 149 ranking, but I wonder if that's a default placeholder value or something like that. On his rankings history graph it shows "NR" throughout, with 149 being the lowest ranking just above NR. I'm confused how he could be so highly regarded and only have one p5 offer and no interest from any other traditional basketball school.

I don't really care about his ranking if Wes is confident in his potential. I just want to know why everyone is saying he was highly rated.
247 composite. But who knows where that came from
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:35 PM   #359
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The only thing I can think of here is his work ethic. He’s willing to put in hard work which means he’s tough and wants to win. What Wes is looking for. At 6’8 with some skills I guess I understand bringing him in but I don’t think he will be ready this year. Put the muscle weight on and get him ready
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 12:23 AM   #360
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
If it is Hensely I'm fine with adding a top 150 Freshman.

That said, with all of the moves thus far having ties to Greensboro, I have to admit I'm a little underwhelmed.

Don't get me wrong, I like Wes Miller and I think he can do a great job. And I know we need to fill spots and it's inevitable that a new coach is going to bring in some people he is familiar with. But what I really didn't want to see was a TON of UNCG guys being brought over. That goes for coaches and players.

I was just hoping to see some more of national presence, and to see coach show that he can secure a higher level of staff and players now that he has a higher level job. I know he's still got some time to do that with some additional spots so hopefully he's saving the best for last.
Wes made a strange comment in passing at his presser more or less inviting his players aboard. I think he feels ethically obligated to the ones he has recruited. He told Daugherty that he only felt sleazy once, when he told his players goodbye so this alleviates some of that for better or worse. Remember he is not married so this is his loyalty.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote