Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2021, 03:52 PM   #841
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Maybe if we were a slow paced passive defense team. I can't imagine trying to play pressure defense with Davenport and two players slower than him on the court.
Lol 😂 you don’t get assigned positions based on your 40. Davenport probably faster than some of the guards, I know dou moved better than most guards
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:13 PM   #842
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
With the Bearcat eyes up I have to assume we're getting Ado. The 4/5 positions are probably going to be a bit interchangeable now, but here's a stab at the depth chart (assuming everyone stays).

PG: DeJulius 20 / Saunders 20
SG: MAW 20 / McGinnis 10 / Mason 10
SF: Newman 25 / Davenport 10 / Mason 5
PF: Davenport 15 / Koval 15 / Ody 5 / Hensley 5
C: Ado 25 / Ody 15

I'm thinking Koval will mostly play alongside Ody, with Koval acting more like a 7'1" stretch 4 at least on offense.

We could run out some extremely imposing situational defensive lineups. Imagine the length, shot blocking, and rebounding of a MAW, Newman, Ody, Koval, Ado 2-3 zone.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:15 PM   #843
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
With the Bearcat eyes up I have to assume we're getting Ado. The 4/5 positions are probably going to be a bit interchangeable now, but here's a stab at the depth chart (assuming everyone stays).

PG: DeJulius 20 / Saunders 20
SG: MAW 20 / McGinnis 10 / Mason 10
SF: Newman 25 / Davenport 10 / Mason 5
PF: Davenport 15 / Koval 15 / Ody 5 / Hensley 5
C: Ado 25 / Ody 15

I'm thinking Koval will mostly play alongside Ody, with Koval acting more like a 7'1" stretch 4 at least on offense.

We could run out some extremely imposing situational defensive lineups. Imagine the length, shot blocking, and rebounding of a MAW, Newman, Ody, Koval, Ado 2-3 zone.
I’ll sub Mickey for maw. I think he go be all defensive aac
Old 05-18-2021, 06:51 AM   #844
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
With the addition of Ado, a couple assumptions I'm now making are:

-Either Lakhin isn't returning or the staff does not expect him to contribute next season

-Unless one of our guards abruptly leaves, the staff is not going to add another (impact) guard/wing.

Last edited by Queens_NYC; 05-18-2021 at 06:53 AM.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:59 AM   #845
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
This roster construction now puts the focus on the PG, SG, and SF. We now have Bigs to control the boards, which allows for the PG, SG, and SF to either stand up or sit down.

Someone will blossom into the lead dog, we just don't know who...
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:48 AM   #846
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Ado is the first addition I'm not in love with. Not because of him as a player, he's basically a Nysier Brooks clone and I'm very happy with that. It's because he is a super senior.

It would be nice to have some continuity at center. Perhaps Lakhin will provide that, but I suspect Lakhin is gone and with Ado/Koval both only having one year, we will need to add a transfer center or two next year.

I was thinking of next year as a rebuilding year, but Wes seems to be swinging for the fences and fully intending to make the NCAA tournament in year one. I guess I can't be mad at Miller for trying for the NCAA tournament and balancing classes, but I do wonder if we'd be better off long term with a young center who may not be as good now, but helps us more 2/3 years down the line.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #847
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
I don't mind the Ado addition, he is the complete opposite of Vogt and similar to Nysier Brooks, he will get rebounds and protect the rim, he knows his role and he does it well, people get so caught up in he only scored 6 points a game. Ado and Korval protect the rim extremely well. Ody has multiple years of eligibility left, korval and Ado are one year rentals to help bridge the gap for next years class, honestly I couldnt care less if Viktor comes back or not, I don't think any of these guys are homeruns and I don't expect us to be cutting down the nets next year but I do think we will be competitive. What is baffeling to me is people were excited for guys like Rap Ivonauskes, Chris McNeal, and people were even opptomistic for Jay Sorolla, But Newmann, Ody and Ado are terrible pick ups?
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #848
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Ado is the first addition I'm not in love with. Not because of him as a player, he's basically a Nysier Brooks clone and I'm very happy with that. It's because he is a super senior.

It would be nice to have some continuity at center. Perhaps Lakhin will provide that, but I suspect Lakhin is gone and with Ado/Koval both only having one year, we will need to add a transfer center or two next year.

I was thinking of next year as a rebuilding year, but Wes seems to be swinging for the fences and fully intending to make the NCAA tournament in year one. I guess I can't be mad at Miller for trying for the NCAA tournament and balancing classes, but I do wonder if we'd be better off long term with a young center who may not be as good now, but helps us more 2/3 years down the line.
I think Ody can play center in two years. He's not a rim protector like Ado and Koval, but I think he'll be capable of playing 25-30 minutes at the 5 if needed.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:51 AM   #849
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Since we don't have a true scorer on this team, it looks like we'll rely on DDJ and Mikey to penetrate with Davenport, MAW, Madsen, and McGinnis getting set shots from three and Ado and Ody finishing at the rim.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:50 PM   #850
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Since we don't have a true scorer on this team, it looks like we'll rely on DDJ and Mikey to penetrate with Davenport, MAW, Madsen, and McGinnis getting set shots from three and Ado and Ody finishing at the rim.
I think in perfect world for Wes, 10 guys avg 5-11pts would be perfect. It’s totally AAUish but I love it. If everybody plays hard everybody plays. In this system it might sound dumb but you need elite finishers at rim.