Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #21
Gotcha23

Gotcha23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
Mick brought in many of the good players Huggs had at UC. Kenny Satterfield, DeMarr Johnson, etc. Look at his results recently with all of his good recruiters gone-13-19 wont cut it at a school like WV. Once he got the players, he was good at transforming them into good players. At WV, he has made poor decisions as to who he recruits. They are like Xavier with all of the turnover recently, Huggs has even had to kick some kids out, which he never did too often. He is a good coach, he knows how to develop players and get the most out of them. He is much more successful at transforming bigs than Cronin has been, just look at Maxiell, Hicks, Martin, etc.
I'm not talking about WVU. Im specifically talking about his time here. You can't possibly give Mick credit for those recruits when Huggs was the head coach. They came for Huggs PERIOD. I want you to seriously think about what you're writing. Think of the kids Huggs had here and compare them to Mick's. I love both coaches but please be realistic.
Gotcha23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #22
Gotcha23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
Mick brought in many of the good players Huggs had at UC. Kenny Satterfield, DeMarr Johnson, etc. Look at his results recently with all of his good recruiters gone-13-19 wont cut it at a school like WV. Once he got the players, he was good at transforming them into good players. At WV, he has made poor decisions as to who he recruits. They are like Xavier with all of the turnover recently, Huggs has even had to kick some kids out, which he never did too often. He is a good coach, he knows how to develop players and get the most out of them. He is much more successful at transforming bigs than Cronin has been, just look at Maxiell, Hicks, Martin, etc.
MARTIN AND LOGAN WERE THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE COUNTRY IN THEIR TIME HERE.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #23
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha23 View Post
I'm not talking about WVU. Im specifically talking about his time here. You can't possibly give Mick credit for those recruits when Huggs was the head coach. They came for Huggs PERIOD. I want you to seriously think about what you're writing. Think of the kids Huggs had here and compare them to Mick's. I love both coaches but please be realistic.
I see the recruiting process going something like this..

Mick--Hey im mick cronin..how would you like to come to the University of Cincinnati and play under head coach Bob Huggins?
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #24
ucdave

ucdave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
I see the recruiting process going something like this..

Mick--Hey im mick cronin..how would you like to come to the University of Cincinnati and play under head coach Bob Huggins?
If it were that simple, why has Huggs' recruiting dropped off as much as it has?
ucdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #25
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdave View Post
If it were that simple, why has Huggs' recruiting dropped off as much as it has?
It was mostly just a joke (with maybe a little truth in it)... but isnt that essentially what the recruiter does? say how would you like to play for X coach. and then talk up the coach and the program. essential just sweet talking the parents into buying their product?

But what happened to Huggs is he got a bad reputation for the way good Ole Nancy handled his whole situation..but thats just my take on it

And its West Virginia..I dont think much else needs to be said about that place...why would ANYONE want to go there anymore...Especially after the student athletes got ****** hard by having them join the Big 12

I also want to make it clear if anyone thought otherwise...I am not a Mick hater...I love Mick..and I love that we had Huggs..Both of them did great things for this university

Last edited by coachpipe; 07-16-2013 at 03:37 PM.
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #26
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
I love Huggs as much as the next guy (I was a student in 1999-2000 when we were number 1) but there is a bit of revisionist history going on here. A couple things that people either forgot or fail to mention.

1. Huggs' recruiting dropped off when he was here at UC. It coordinates pretty closely with Mick going to UL. I am not saying this was the reason, just interesting.

2. Kenyon and Logan were not 5 star prospects but were talented hard workers. Some people want to remember them as being the greatest recruits ever. People would have made a lot of money saying Kenyon would be player of the year and the #1 pick when he was recruited.

3. The success of the head coach can be greatly attributed to the success and work ethic of the assistant coaches. The best coaches in the country put together the best staffs. Just look at Duke, Michigan St, etc. It is not just as simple as come play for the head coach though that is a part of it.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #27
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha23 View Post
MARTIN AND LOGAN WERE THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE COUNTRY IN THEIR TIME HERE.
And Mick Cronin had to convince Huggs to give Logan a scholarship.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #28
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
True, Huggins thought Logan was a short, slow, fat kid and did not want him. Mick had to beg Huggins to take Logan.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #29
Gotcha23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
You guys are out of your minds I can't believe this is even a discussion. What kids the last 7 years even compare to Huggs kids? Micks the man but it's not even close gentlemen.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #30
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Huggins was getting superior talent way before Mick's days on the staff. Remember, the early-mid 90's...Mick was still pooping his pants and being breast fed
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote