Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Video from first practice

Make sure you watch Shaq and Jermaine Sanders shooting in the background behind Mick, Sanders can't even make them with nobody guarding him, I counted 2-5 before I stopped watching him:http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-b...092813aaa.html
Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I could care less. We all already know this team is challenged from the perimeter unless JD 3 and the newbies add to that it will be similar to last year but the defense has the length and athleticism to be better at creating transition buckets.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 09-29-2013 at 04:30 PM.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Cronin's Twin Dronin

Cronin's Twin Dronin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
Make sure you watch Shaq and Jermaine Sanders shooting in the background behind Mick, Sanders can't even make them with nobody guarding him, I counted 2-5 before I stopped watching him:http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-b...092813aaa.html
Outside of a few 3's for Sanders I have never seen him do anything exciting to make me believe he was going to carry this team anyway. Shaq on the other hand I feel can emerge as a major contributor.
Cronin's Twin Dronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Sanders should be seeing time during blowouts only. He never should have seen as much of the court as he already has.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks for the video link and I like how you are making negatives a priority as you ask people to view. It's dissapointing to see ST and JS missing shots in the first practice with nobody guarding them. Without the benefit of ever having seen them play in real games I would guess they will probably go 1 for 10 in real game action. Ugghhh!!!

That got me thinking though. I was thinking these two actually have played games at UC and even though they didn't make 50% of their outside shots like we would expect from our top 2 advertised outside shooting threats they did manage to luckily make 1 or 2 outside shots in real games. I don't recall if there was a defense on the court but my guess is there may have been.

I was also a little upset that SK was preaching about work ethic and effort. He is one of our captains and I would rather him concentrate on telling the freshmen how easy it's going to be. Mostly what I got out of that video was that our outside shooters are poor and we have a captain who has his head up his arse. I hope the frosh weren't watching.

I would prefer Mick be a little taller as well so we can't see the players missing shots (in defenseless practice) in the background. Perhaps he could wear some platform shoes but he just doesn't seem to get it at this point. Judging by what I just saw...it's going to be a long season.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Thanks for the video link and I like how you are making negatives a priority as you ask people to view. It's dissapointing to see ST and JS missing shots in the first practice with nobody guarding them. Without the benefit of ever having seen them play in real games I would guess they will probably go 1 for 10 in real game action. Ugghhh!!!

That got me thinking though. I was thinking these two actually have played games at UC and even though they didn't make 50% of their outside shots like we would expect from our top 2 advertised outside shooting threats they did manage to luckily make 1 or 2 outside shots in real games. I don't recall if there was a defense on the court but my guess is there may have been.

I was also a little upset that SK was preaching about work ethic and effort. He is one of our captains and I would rather him concentrate on telling the freshmen how easy it's going to be. Mostly what I got out of that video was that our outside shooters are poor and we have a captain who has his head up his arse. I hope the frosh weren't watching.

I would prefer Mick be a little taller as well so we can't see the players missing shots (in defenseless practice) in the background. Perhaps he could wear some platform shoes but he just doesn't seem to get it at this point. Judging by what I just saw...it's going to be a long season.
Shaq looked okay, he probably will never be known as a deadly shooter. If he can be an average shooter and slash the lane, he will be a good player. Sanders is disappointing and he should be much better than he is. I can't believe he was considered a really good scorer in HS, he just doesn't look like he has anything positive to offer the team. He played a few nice offensive games this past year, but he looks lost on defense and he isn't a good enough shooter/scorer to justify giving up the lack of defense. Another thing from this video, it reinforced just how freaking long big Dave's legs are, at least it looks like he put some meat on those bones this off-season, I hope his stamina improved.

Last edited by JumpinJack5; 09-29-2013 at 05:45 PM.
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Shaq looked okay, he probably will never be known as a deadly shooter. If he can be an average shooter and slash the lane, he will be a good player. Sanders is disappointing and he should be much better than he is. I can't believe he was considered a really good scorer in HS, he just doesn't look like he has anything positive to offer the team. He played a few nice offensive games this past year, but he looks lost on defense and he isn't a good enough shooter/scorer to justify giving up the lack of defense. Another thing from this video, it reinforced just how freaking long big Dave's legs are, at least it looks like he put some meat on those bones this off-season, I hope his stamina improved.
I can get behind some of this although most (if not all) of my last post was sarcastic. It's going to be hard for Sanders to find the court because of the talent we have coming in. So what? That means we have better options. Shaq will be an impact player so it doesn't matter if it's shooting outside or slashing.

I agree with you that we have put meat on the bones at the 5 between DN and JJ...so that is positive.

To reiterate....I was joking when I said our top shooters were Thomas and Sanders. Our top shooters are SK and probably JDIII. We might get some help in KJ and DM...or maybe Lawrence. If SK can get open looks...we will be fine. He is a good shooter. We will see if we can get great shooting out of our frosh.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote