Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #951
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
I want Cumberland to have the opportunity he has worked hard for. Selfishly I would prefer he use up his eligibility. And in reality, me not knowing all the details, it does appear on the surface that him coming back to UC is the right move. It's an amazing opportunity to go down as an all time Bearcat great. Not only for his personal achievements, but the added achievement of helping to stabilize a program in flux. Instantly moves him into the discussion along with other 4 year players (or at least players that exhausted their eligibility) like Kenyon, Steve, Nick (lots of the guys from that final 4 team actually), Sean, Gary, and the Bearcats of the 60's. Moving ahead of players like Forston, Evans, etc. From a tier 2 all time bearcat to Tier 1 all time bearcat.

Again, not knowing the entire story here, but that has to be appealing. And having a coach focused on creating space for him to operate...more offensive minded...team needing ball handlers...it's a great opportunity. But getting paid is also pretty nice
Yah I get it...he can't do a lot to improve his draft stock coming back. But maybe just a little could get him into the back end of the 2nd round or get the combine invite next year. Making 35K in G league is not something to get super stoked about. I don't know what his thoughts are about playing overseas.

If he comes back and works his tail off and gets a lot of ball handling duties and can get up into that 20+ppg range...maybe that would help the little bit he needs. AS you mentioned he could also become a Bearcat legend in the mean time and that may help with future job opportunities in Cincy should his pro career fizzle out.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:25 AM   #952
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Just curious on Jarron...what would be the point in waiting until end of month? He didn't get the invited he wanted. He probably had a good idea what he was doing in either case right? What am I missing here?

Anyway, if Cumblerand stays it will definitely change this roller coaster ride. If the other commits I think that would help ease the pain of losing Curtis. I still wanted to see his long term career but just sayin.

If we were able to score Bolton that would ease the pain of losing Johnson. Or maybe Johnson could come back.

I don't know about replacing Brooks but I think I would be over the moon if the other 3 things happen. Probably very wishful thinking though.
I'm not entirely sure samari is getting the attention he was expecting...

But anywho. Jarron stays. His cousin comes... Id consider that a massive win.

But too your point. I would really prefer cumberland make a decision asap... For other recruiting options if needed
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #953
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post

But too your point. I would really prefer cumberland make a decision asap... For other recruiting options if needed
I think Samari may have over played his hand a little bit.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #954
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

It might be a boom or bust scenario here. If JC comes back we might land the other two. If he doesn't we may not get either one.

His decision looms HUGE over the trajectory of the program in the short term.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #955
waterhead
Senior Moderator

After listening to the Skinny Podcast with Chad I feel slightly more comfortable with the Cumberland situation. Obviously nothing definitive or set in stone but at least reason to be cautiously optimistic. Kids change their minds all the time but Jarron has a pretty good situation in Cincy if he returns. He becomes a legend and he is a "local" guy. After basketball is over there are probably significant opportunities in the greater Cincy area for a legend...and a local legend at that.

Not only can he be in the top 3 scorers all time but he can tie with Scott to be in the all time wins leader category. I think they would need 23 wins this season to best Logan at 111 wins. He needs 637 points to be in the 2,000 point club which is comprised of the Big O and SK. He had 657 points last year. I don't see him surpassing SK for #2 but I guess it's possible. Logan and Vaughn are under 2,000. SK at 2145. Cumberland at 1363 would need to average 22.5 ppg for 35 games to do that. He needs 783 points.

Either way...his long term opportunity in the area could be a big factor in his career. The pro career will only be so long...but then you have to look at what happens after that. I think a 4th year at UC could be a bigger long term impact than a single season leaving early would be. So you make some bucks this year but can you make big bucks when the career is over?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #956
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
After listening to the Skinny Podcast with Chad I feel slightly more comfortable with the Cumberland situation. Obviously nothing definitive or set in stone but at least reason to be cautiously optimistic. Kids change their minds all the time but Jarron has a pretty good situation in Cincy if he returns. He becomes a legend and he is a "local" guy. After basketball is over there are probably significant opportunities in the greater Cincy area for a legend...and a local legend at that.

Not only can he be in the top 3 scorers all time but he can tie with Scott to be in the all time wins leader category. I think they would need 23 wins this season to best Logan at 111 wins. He needs 637 points to be in the 2,000 point club which is comprised of the Big O and SK. He had 657 points last year. I don't see him surpassing SK for #2 but I guess it's possible. Logan and Vaughn are under 2,000. SK at 2145. Cumberland at 1363 would need to average 22.5 ppg for 35 games to do that. He needs 783 points.

Either way...his long term opportunity in the area could be a big factor in his career. The pro career will only be so long...but then you have to look at what happens after that. I think a 4th year at UC could be a bigger long term impact than a single season leaving early would be. So you make some bucks this year but can you make big bucks when the career is over?
Mature. Long term play....

At 21... Not sure thays always the thought process lol
Old 05-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #957
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Mature. Long term play....

At 21... Not sure thays always the thought process lol
I would probably declare to leave and then do 7 shots at the local pub to celebrate. But there has to be people in his ear telling him about life after BB too. Maybe Dermarr Johnson?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #958
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

Just listened to theskinny podcast...

Sounds a bit more promising on jarron. Basically confirmed if jarron comes his cousin is coming.

Bolton would be nice.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #959
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Just listened to theskinny podcast...

Sounds a bit more promising on jarron. Basically confirmed if jarron comes his cousin is coming.

Bolton would be nice.
My take was that JC returning was helped (at least a little) by his non invite to the combine but I didn't get the impression Jaevin would be a done deal if that happened although maybe a better chance. And I have to wonder now if Bolton is waiting on both of those decisions? Jaevin and JC kind of take up the same type of spots Bolton might. The Cumberland's do take up minutes where Bolton would be slated to play.

If JC does come back...maybe we are looking at either Jaevin OR Bolton. If we get both that would be a very VERY big deal. Bolton still has long term opportunity but I am guessing he wants short term minutes as well and maybe more than we can offer him if the other two sign.

Either way I hope JC comes back and we at least get either or on Bolton or Jaevin. If JC does not come back maybe Bolton is still a valid option.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #960
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My take was that JC returning was helped (at least a little) by his non invite to the combine but I didn't get the impression Jaevin would be a done deal if that happened although maybe a better chance. And I have to wonder now if Bolton is waiting on both of those decisions? Jaevin and JC kind of take up the same type of spots Bolton might. The Cumberland's do take up minutes where Bolton would be slated to play.

If JC does come back...maybe we are looking at either Jaevin OR Bolton. If we get both that would be a very VERY big deal. Bolton still has long term opportunity but I am guessing he wants short term minutes as well and maybe more than we can offer him if the other two sign.

Either way I hope JC comes back and we at least get either or on Bolton or Jaevin. If JC does not come back maybe Bolton is still a valid option.
I was reading the PSU forum a bit and a lot of fans think Bolton is transferring because he won't be starting there for 1-2 years. If their right, then I imagine the Cumberland's being here might be an issue for him. Unless he doesn't get a waiver, then it doesn't matter.

I'd take Jaevin and over Bolton, even though he's only a one year deal. Looking more at Bolton he doesn't really intrigue me that much. I don't think he'd be a bad player, but he probably needs another year or two of development to have a chance to become a star. Hopefully Brannen can find some freshmen who fit that same sort of profile. His horrible assist-to-TO (0.57) ratio is also concerning, though that's likely in part due to him playing a lot of minutes as a freshman.

Jaevin looks like he can be a star now and combined with Jarron that would give us a very good guard duo.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote