Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
'12 OH PF Jalen Robinson

Power forward
Columbus, Ohio
Northland
AAU: All-Ohio Red
Ht:6'7"
Wt:215 lbs
Class:2012 (High School)

JALEN ROBINSON BACKS OFF WVU COMMITMENT; STILL LIKES WVU & BIG EAST
October 26, 2010 by NBE Blogger · Leave a Comment
Bob Huggins and his staff at West Virginia got off to a quick start on the 2012 recruiting trail by hitting up the Buckeye State with a pair of early commitments as forwards Jalen Robinson and Elijah Macon made verbal pledges to the Mountaineers very early in the process. Over the summer Macon announced he was re-opening the process and in the last few days Robinson has made the same decision.

“I decided to open my recruiting back up because I feel like I have to re-dedicate myself to the game, get my priorities together and work on my citizenship and being a better student,” Robinson told NBE this afternoon. “This is a time for me to get focused.”

The 6-foot-9, 2010-pound power forward surprised many with a verbal commitment last December to the Mountaineers just as his sophomore season at Columbus (OH) Northland High School was getting underway. His verbal came several months after his All-Ohio Red AAU teammate Elijah Macon verbally committed to WVU as well.

“I made an early decision because I felt very good about WVU, and still do, but its time for me to explore,” said Robinson.

Playing with Jared Sullinger at Northland last season, there was plenty of opportunity to see Robinson in action by scouts. When NBE saw him in Springfield (MA) for the Spalding HoopHall Classic last January he demonstrated the promise of a high major prospect. Then just a sophomore, Robinson had several nice moves to the rim, including a couple of spin moves. He is strong and aggressive going to the hole, and had a very impressive basket and foul down the stretch. Robinson uses his body well, and is also able to run the floor and finish. He had 12 points and six rebounds and with a more consistent ability to finish as he matures, the potential as a productive high-major power forward is certainly there.

This summer on the All-Ohio Red 16-U team, Robinson was a key performer on one of the better teams in the country, scoring 8 points in the 16-U national championship contest against BABC, a game won by BABC 56-53. Robinson showed flashes in his time in Orlando to close the July live period, but the consistency we had hoped to see was lacking at times. Still, he demonstrated a tough, hard-nosed style of play with the ability to rebound, block shots and score the ball in traffic that should do him well at the high-major level in the future. With his decision to re-open his recruitment, schools are very interested.

“Schools I’m considering are Wisconson, Iowa, Cincinnati, DePaul, Nebraska, Michigan and Xaiver,” said Robinson. “Wake Forest and Georgia Tech are in the piscture as well.”

Robinson also made an unofficial visit to West Virginia a few weeks earlier and maintained the Mountaineers are still a school under consideration as well as anyone from the Big East.

“I do still plan to play in the Big East,” he added.
A re-dedicated and focused Jalen Robinson could very well be a high-priority recruit for Big East programs in the Class of 2012. NBE will watch his development this season with Columbus (OH) Northland HS and on the spring and summer AAU circuit with All-Ohio Red and keep our readers updated on his progress, on the court and in his recruitment.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 10-27-2010 at 07:56 AM.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Got to like that he still wants to play in the Big East and UC and DePaul are the two BE schools on his list. Also can't hurt that his AAU teammate and good friend Elijah Macon just visited UC.
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
If they fill their scholarships for 2011 they will only have 2 scholarships available (assuming Yancy doesn't have a great year and bolts for the NBA). I'd rather be more selective with those two.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
If they fill their scholarships for 2011 they will only have 2 scholarships available (assuming Yancy doesn't have a great year and bolts for the NBA). I'd rather be more selective with those two.
I agree that Mick should be selective with a small number of scholarships. I thought PG was a must get for 2012 but now we are looking good with Jeremiah Davis so I don't know if we need a PG in the 2012 class. But we will need some big men, and Macon and Robinson are no slouches. Surely Macon is the better prospect, but I would not be disappointed if they both decided to come to UC.
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat18 View Post
I agree that Mick should be selective with a small number of scholarships. I thought PG was a must get for 2012 but now we are looking good with Jeremiah Davis so I don't know if we need a PG in the 2012 class. But we will need some big men, and Macon and Robinson are no slouches. Surely Macon is the better prospect, but I would not be disappointed if they both decided to come to UC.
Would also be nice to crack that All-Ohio Red pipeline...
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatAlum1 View Post
Would also be nice to crack that All-Ohio Red pipeline...
Going to be an extremely difficult one to crack from the looks of it considering OSU's stranglehood on it recently.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
In the paint, Jalen Robinson (6’8) and Devon Scott (6’8) may emerge as the best low post combination in the state. Robinson brings the finesse, skill, and great foot work, while Scott brings the power, physical play, and ever-improving skill set. Robinson recently de-committed from West Virginia but both are drawing heavy D-I interest.

http://www.clevelandsportsforums.com...-Poll-and-Info...
Old 04-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Filling the void against a guard oriented Gauchos roster was Columbus Northland Jalen Robinson a 6-foot-7 PF who tallied 21 points and 13 rebounds. He showed some nice post moves and finished strong consistently around the rim in the 2nd half to keep the team on a roll after the perimeter shots quit falling.

http://cincinnati.247sports.com/Arti...Notebook-21543
Old 04-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Jalen Robinson (2012)
Power forward
AAU Team: All-Ohio Red
Height: 6’7″, Weight: 215
Considering: Wisconsin, UCLA, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Xavier, Iowa, Penn State, DePaul, Cincinnati, Ohio University, Tennessee, Michigan

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011...ruiting-notes/
Old 05-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Jalen Robinson is a having a strong spring. He’s as active as we’ve seen him. He looks to run the floor and he’s making his presence felt on the backboard.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1070367.html?refid=400