Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
'12 ME PG Kareem Canty

2012 PG Kareem Canty of Bridgton (ME) talked with Cincinnati tonight. The Bearcats are the latest to express interest.

Per Alex Kline

Canty is a 6'1" 175 lbs PG with offers from Iowa State, Providence, Rutgers, and Seton Hall.

Strengths:
He's a competitor who wants to be a good player. The New York native strikes a balance between passing and scoring. As a playmaker, he excels off the drive and finds teammates out to the line. When he flips it into scoring mode, he's more than capable of taking his medicine and accepting contact. His shot isn't textbook, though he's a volume shot-maker, especially off the dribble.

Weaknesses:
He needs to avoid getting frustrated and knocked off task as sometimes his competitiveness works against him. His shot selection can be flighty at times while he can also be careless with the basketball. He is terribly un-vocal for a point guard and can turn off teammates when his on-court temperament leads to poor decisions.

Bottom Line:
The kid loves to win and he's the kind of guy you trust to make a play in end of game and shot clock situations. More often than not, he's going to deliver and he'll be a mainstay for a good program. His toughness will open doors for him from a recruiting perspective.
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I have seen Kareem play and he is really tough when he is making his outside shots. He absolutely makes some seriously bad decisions at times but can change a game with his scoring. Arizona, UCLA, Alabama, Pittsburg, and Xavier are all on top of him along with Florida State. along with the offers BC18 mentioned from Iowa State, Providence, Rutgers, and Seton Hall.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
TheRecruitScoop Virginia & Cincinnati have been added to the list of 2012 PG Kareem Canty of Bridgton (ME).
Old 05-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

TheRecruitScoop Alex Kline South Carolina & Illinois contacted 2012 Bridgton ( ME) PG Kareem Canty today.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Has been invited to the NBA Camp and the Chris Paul Elite Guard Camp.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

TheRecruitScoop is reporting that Tenn. has gotten involved with his recruitment.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Has decided to take an unoffical visit to Xavier.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

KAREEM CANTY HAS FIVE SCHOOLS IN FRONT; DECISION COULD BE COMING SOON
June 2, 2011 by NBE Blogger · Leave a Comment
One of the top point guards available in the Class of 2012 heading into the summer is Kareem Canty. The New York City native who currently attends Bridgton Academy has enjoyed a solid spring on the AAU circuit with the Long Island Lightning as his stock nationally has grown rapidly. NBE has long believed Canty was under-recruited when compared to his talent, but that seems to be correcting itself as the word is out on the tough-competing point guard.

Last summer NBE felt Canty was one of the top five players at the Rumble in the Bronx, at the time in the Class of 2011. After moving from Bishop Loughlin to Bridgton and reclassifying to the Class of 2012 things have really taken off for the 6-foot, 185-pound Canty. Consistently showing the ability to knock down shots from the perimeter or finish at the rim, Canty is also an excellent ball-handler that can change directions quickly and plays with a confidence and toughness where he believes he can beat anyone in front of him. He is a true playmaker that college coaches are aggressively trying to land for their programs.

Canty told NBE via text this morning that Seton Hall, Xavier, Miami, Cincinnati and Dayton were standing out in his recruitment.

“Yes, those schools are leading right now,” said Canty, “but I’m also considering South Carolina, Tennessee and Illinois.

Canty recently visited Kevin Willard’s program at Seton Hall and came away very impressed with what he saw.

“The trip was good, I enjoyed it,” said Canty of the recent SHU unofficial visit. “The campus is better than I thought and I like their coaching staff; they are cool.”

Canty is planning a whirwhind tour of his five favorites, which began with the trip to Seton Hall and will continue tonight to another of his favorites and last through the month of June.

“I leave to visit Xavier tonight and at the end of June I will be visiting Miami, Cincinnati and Dayton,” said Canty.

Canty told NBE that a decision could be on the horizon sooner than he originally anticipated, but there was no current favorite.

“I would make my decision real soon and I want to pick a school that always makes the (NCAA) Tournament and I can go to the next level.”

With a full schedule ahead with the Long Island Lightning along with the NBA Top 100 camp and plans to attend the Chris Paul and John Wall camps, it is a busy couple months ahead for Kareem Canty. With a full visit schedule ahead in the coming weeks and a looming college decision, expect to hear plenty from Canty in the near future as one of the top point guards in the Class of 2012 could be off the board very soon.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011...e-coming-soon/
Old 06-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

2012 guard Kareem Canty on his Xavier visit: "I loved it."

http://twitter.com/#!/TheRecruitScoop
Old 06-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

2012 Long Island Lightning (NY) duo Kareem Canty & Kamari Murphy are injured. Canty has a sprained MCL & Murphy has a sprained ankle. 18 hours ago