Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 09-09-2020, 09:25 PM   #81
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Wow, I wonder how good his English is right now? This is a heck of a time to be entering college in a foreign country with all of the pandemic going on. If he can't communicate easily it must be pretty nerve racking.

I'd hope that the infrastructure of the basketball team has support to help all of these guys deal with the situation a bit better.

I'm confident the basketball part is treated as best as could be. It's the other stuff I'd be worried with right now. Must seem so weird.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #82
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
UC picked to finish 4th.

Williams 1st team preseason all conference
Vogt 2nd team preseason all conference

Announced Vogt played the 2nd half of conference schedule last year with a torn labrum.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:40 PM   #83
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
UC picked to finish 4th.

Williams 1st team preseason all conference
Vogt 2nd team preseason all conference

Announced Vogt played the 2nd half of conference schedule last year with a torn labrum.
Saw the presser recently. A lot of talk about the frosh and how much they compete every day. Future in good hands.

Hope the injury to Vogt and even Rap being healed now will lead to the Vogt we saw early last year and the Rap efficiency from the year before. Keith sounds ready to roll.

A lot of talk about Dejulius having a big impact already. Brannen said he might be the hardest worker he's ever had and of course we know he has skills. A vocal leader. It will be nice having him at point as the floor general.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:01 AM   #84
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Saw the presser recently. A lot of talk about the frosh and how much they compete every day. Future in good hands.

Hope the injury to Vogt and even Rap being healed now will lead to the Vogt we saw early last year and the Rap efficiency from the year before. Keith sounds ready to roll.

A lot of talk about Dejulius having a big impact already. Brannen said he might be the hardest worker he's ever had and of course we know he has skills. A vocal leader. It will be nice having him at point as the floor general.
Some other notes from the presser:

Zach Harvey is injured and hasn't been practicing. Seemed uncertain when he will return.

Freshmen and transfers had more issues learning the system then normal because of Covid. Started practicing later then usual, early on it was just zoom calls. Brannen seemed to think they were doing okay now, but I'd expect more early season struggles than normal from freshmen.

Diarra is apparently much improved and has really figured out the system now. Said Diarra grades out excellent at ball screen defense. Considering that is also Vogt's biggest weakness, I still think Diarra is going to be getting more minutes than Vogt pretty early in the season.

DeJulius and Rap may be the vocal leaders on the team (and I'd guess Diarra as well, though Brannen didn't list him). Part of the reason DeJulius and Rap were brought in is because Keith and Vogt are both quiet and not very vocal leaders.

Had good things to say about the other freshmen - especially Eason.

I'm excited to see the season finally start. I still don't have very high expectations for this team, but hopefully the do better than I expect and even if they don't I'm ready to start watching basketball again.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:17 AM   #85
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Some other notes from the presser:

Zach Harvey is injured and hasn't been practicing. Seemed uncertain when he will return.

Freshmen and transfers had more issues learning the system then normal because of Covid. Started practicing later then usual, early on it was just zoom calls. Brannen seemed to think they were doing okay now, but I'd expect more early season struggles than normal from freshmen.

Diarra is apparently much improved and has really figured out the system now. Said Diarra grades out excellent at ball screen defense. Considering that is also Vogt's biggest weakness, I still think Diarra is going to be getting more minutes than Vogt pretty early in the season.

DeJulius and Rap may be the vocal leaders on the team (and I'd guess Diarra as well, though Brannen didn't list him). Part of the reason DeJulius and Rap were brought in is because Keith and Vogt are both quiet and not very vocal leaders.

Had good things to say about the other freshmen - especially Eason.

I'm excited to see the season finally start. I still don't have very high expectations for this team, but hopefully the do better than I expect and even if they don't I'm ready to start watching basketball again.
Not too worried about the frosh...they can come along slow although it sounds like they are cut from a different cloth. If Rap and Dejulius can pick up the system fast that is all we need to get started.

I think Vogt and Dou are almost polar opposites for each other and depending on matchups I could see them getting close to a time split. When the floor is spread we use Dou and when we need the paint presence we use Vogt. On either end of the floor.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:30 PM   #86
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Not too worried about the frosh...they can come along slow although it sounds like they are cut from a different cloth. If Rap and Dejulius can pick up the system fast that is all we need to get started.

I think Vogt and Dou are almost polar opposites for each other and depending on matchups I could see them getting close to a time split. When the floor is spread we use Dou and when we need the paint presence we use Vogt. On either end of the floor.
I'm worried about the Frosh. They are going to be called upon early and often. It sounds like Harvey won't be ready to go early on and Davenport had surgery earlier in the year (though it seems like he is practicing).

The 5 starters (DeJulius, MAW?, Williams, Diarra?, Vogt) seem pretty solid as does the backup big man (whomever doesn't start out of Rap/Diarra/Vogt). But backups get thin pretty quick at forward/guard. If Brannen sticks to his desire to run, a lot of freshmen are going to be getting a lot of minutes. I expect veteran teams with a lot of returning players to have more of an advantage this year than normal due to Covid and we definitely are not that.

I think Vogt will be the most matchup dependent big, I could see him getting 30 minutes or 10 depending on the matchup. He needs to be making a big impact on the interior on offense to justify getting the minutes over Diarra. He has shown that he can do that at times, but with more teams focusing on him he will have to be up to the task. Otherwise Diarra's defense/rebounding and ability to spread the floor on offense could put Vogt on the bench for significant periods of time.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #87
Union Bearcat

Union Bearcat is on a distinguished road
IMO Vogt will play 25 pretty much every game and Rap will start over Diarra. Honestly, with all the new pieces, the 4th place finish the coaches picked UC to finish in the league seems like a reasonable expectation.

Last edited by Union Bearcat; 11-06-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Union Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:46 AM   #88
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
2 weeks away from the official start of the college basketball regular season.

Anyone else getting antsy for a schedule update?

Is the Crosstown Shootout our only locked-in OOC game at the moment?
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:26 AM   #89
Union Bearcat

Union Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
2 weeks away from the official start of the college basketball regular season.

Anyone else getting antsy for a schedule update?

Is the Crosstown Shootout our only locked-in OOC game at the moment?
@ Tennessee Dec 12th
Union Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #90
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Bearcat View Post
@ Tennessee Dec 12th
Also confirmed today...

Furman 12/9 (home)

Georgia 12/19 (away)