Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
Lobot

Lobot will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Anyone know if he will be able to get another year for a medical redshirt? I know he had to sit out a year when he transferred but did he redshirt at USC at all? I am thinking he can get that sixth year. Let's hope.
He did redshirt at USC. He would have to petition for a 6th year which is likely except that we're Cincinnati and you know how that goes. Other than Drew Frey I don't think we've ever managed to pull that off.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobot View Post
He did redshirt at USC. He would have to petition for a 6th year which is likely except that we're Cincinnati and you know how that goes. Other than Drew Frey I don't think we've ever managed to pull that off.
So did he lose a year of eligibility by transferring then?
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
Lobot

Quote:
So did he lose a year of eligibility by transferring then?
Yes he did. Last year actually.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
Lobot

I stand corrected by Brian Bennett. Hazelton did not take a redshirt year at USC but he was still considered a senior after sitting out his transfer year.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #15
kpzero

kpzero is on a distinguished road
Talk about being unlucky. :/

If I am not mistaken, he played in 2007 with a torn abdominal. Then he had more injuries that kept him from the field in 2008.

Quote:
I stand corrected by Brian Bennett. Hazelton did not take a redshirt year at USC but he was still considered a senior after sitting out his transfer year.

He played at USC in 2006, 2007, and 2008. Transfered and had to sit out 2009.
kpzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
This is depressing news. I would like to hope he can get another year, but I won't hold my breath. I didn't understand why they had him returning kicks. This just sucks. Barnett is going to have to step up now. Binns and Woods still give us great talent, so hopefully we are OK, but I loved having that three-headed monster out there. This season really isn't getting off to a very good start.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #17
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
This is depressing news. I would like to hope he can get another year, but I won't hold my breath. I didn't understand why they had him returning kicks. This just sucks. Barnett is going to have to step up now. Binns and Woods still give us great talent, so hopefully we are OK, but I loved having that three-headed monster out there. This season really isn't getting off to a very good start.
I actually don't think he will have any trouble getting an extra year and I would expect that we would hear something in the next few week once everything is submitted. With all the injury issues he has had and the fact that this was his fifth year because of transferring, I expect to see him in uniform next year.

The play he got hurt on didn't actually look too bad. This may be a blessing in disguise for this young man. If he gets hurt in the 4th or 5th game, he doesn't get an extra year and his career is over and his shot at the NFL is slim to none. Because it was the first game, he is going to have an opportunity to earn a masters degree, get himself physically better, and hopefully have a full year next year to showcase his skills to the NFL. This assumes that he will get that extra year and my thinking is that he might have had a weak knee already and not known it.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #18
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I actually don't think he will have any trouble getting an extra year and I would expect that we would hear something in the next few week once everything is submitted. With all the injury issues he has had and the fact that this was his fifth year because of transferring, I expect to see him in uniform next year.

The play he got hurt on didn't actually look too bad. This may be a blessing in disguise for this young man. If he gets hurt in the 4th or 5th game, he doesn't get an extra year and his career is over and his shot at the NFL is slim to none. Because it was the first game, he is going to have an opportunity to earn a masters degree, get himself physically better, and hopefully have a full year next year to showcase his skills to the NFL. This assumes that he will get that extra year and my thinking is that he might have had a weak knee already and not known it.
I agree that his case seems likely that he'll be granted another year. Usually where players have problems is when they've already used a redshirt year. That doesn't mean I'll hold my breath on it. Is this something that UC can get the ball rolling on soon or do they have to wait for the season to end? This is just an unfortunate incident and hopefully our last injury to a marquee player.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #19
Lobot

Sorry for the bad info before. Hazelton's career is over. He does not qualify for a hardship exemption per CBJ.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #20
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Sorry for the bad info before. Hazelton's career is over. He does not qualify for a hardship exemption per CBJ.
Really? Did he really say that? When was he on ESPN? He would certainly be able to apply for another year right? I would be surprised if they didnt at least go through the process.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote