Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #21
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Sanders gets more minutes than JD3 because he can guard more positions, Jermaine has a big body and not bad at boxing his man out which helps the team as a whole on rebounding, to be fair I thought he had a good game on the second exhibition game and I feel like some of you are being rough on the kid. He will play behind shaq and if shaq keeps playing defense the way he has in the exhibition games then you could see Jermaine getting a lot of minutes this year, that being said it wouldn't surprise me to see morman be the back up small forward by the end of the season, I was more concerned why he didn't play more than JD3. JD3 offensively is solid, he did have one bad turnover but he some nice passes in transition as well, he has a great shot. It will be tough for him to get minutes with SK on the team, but I think everyone on the team will play a lot of minutes all year long. one last thing to say if Jermaine sanders is the worse player on our team, than that is a damn good team cuz the kid can play just wait and see.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by subflea View Post
JDIII isn't playing as much because he is sitting behind our leading scorer. I know many of you think he is a PG, but he isn't. He is a 2 guard, so in order for him to see the floor you either have to sit SK, or move SK over to the 3 spot, which means sitting Sander or Thomas and losing quite a bit of length on the floor.
I wouldn't mind seeing JD3 and SK on the floor together at the 2-3. Thomas can't shoot ft's and is terrible defensively and to me fits the bill better off the bench as a spark till he irons these two things out and gets some arc on his shot.

That would allow Morman to play the 2 off the bench where his quickness and athleticism, along with his defensive ability, would be well utilized. There are question marks with Sanders and Thomas. Yes, there is a question mark with JD3too, but we all know in small samples he's shown the ability to score. Fact is this team needs people who can score and they should explore every option including SK and JD3 in the line up together.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #23
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
JDIII isn't playing as much because he is sitting behind our leading scorer. I know many of you think he is a PG, but he isn't. He is a 2 guard, so in order for him to see the floor you either have to sit SK, or move SK over to the 3 spot, which means sitting Sander or Thomas and losing quite a bit of length on the floor.
I could see your point but Guyn is a tweener playing PG right now. It's obvious that JDIII can play the pg as effectively on offense as Guyn. We don't have a pure pg.

JDIII and SK helps this offense out immensely.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #24
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
They actually played with 3 guards for large stretches of the game. Kevin Johnson (who also isn't a PG) played 15 minutes compared to JDIII's 7 minutes. JDIII isn't quick enough defensively to press and Mick clearly wanted to work on the press by using it the whole game. That explains why Johnson played a lot more.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #25
ucswais

ucswais is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing JD3 and SK on the floor together at the 2-3. Thomas can't shoot ft's and is terrible defensively and to me fits the bill better off the bench as a spark till he irons these two things out and gets some arc on his shot.

That would allow Morman to play the 2 off the bench where his quickness and athleticism, along with his defensive ability, would be well utilized. There are question marks with Sanders and Thomas. Yes, there is a question mark with JD3too, but we all know in small samples he's shown the ability to score. Fact is this team needs people who can score and they should explore every option including SK and JD3 in the line up together.
I would like this on offense, but I don't think it's worth it overall. SK really shouldn't be guarding a 3 IMO and we rely on our 3 to rebound a lot. I don't think SK is a willing enough rebounder for that spot in our system.
ucswais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post

At this point, with no dynamic PG, I would rather see guys like JDIII, KJ, and DM getting their minutes from our PG spot. As much as we are asking our PG to do offensively (to make one pass to the nearest guy)...we really don't even need one...because just about everyone on the team can do that.

People say KJ looked invisible. Not to me. That kid can straight up play some on the ball D and has excellent recovery time. He has better handles than GG or TC and is much quicker than TC. He has missed some shots but obviously Mick wants him to shoot. I think DM will be similar and will give even more versatility. Again...from the looks of things there is nothing that we are getting out of our PG that we can't get out of more productive players.

JJ and SK have played great so far.

TR...we know what we are going to get. Nothing out of this world but he really fills the stat sheet. Rebounds, steals, a few points, assists, etc. He plays good D and warrants 25 minutes.

From here we have many question marks. ST gets lost on D and doesn't know how to pull up and make jumpers. He goes as far in as he can and then tries to make a pass in a crowded area. I don't care about his shooting arc as long as he hits a fair %.

JL looked much much better. Still looks a little shaky but 90% less shaky than game 1. He's got pretty good handles and a nice spin move.

I think JS, DN and GG should max out at 10 minutes.

Our half court offense still stinks.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #27
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Oh...and More JDIII

I don't care how bad he might be at D...he will make up for it on O

Getting very low production out of JS or GG is much more of a liability than a few mistakes. Those guys are averaging almost 40 minutes of BB between them. JS is averaging 2.5 pts, 1 assist, and 1 rebound in 17.5 minutes. GG actually played better in the second Ex game...but the main thing you want from a PG (assists)...he's averaging .5 assists in 21.5 minutes. He just can't create.

JDIII would have 12-15 points and several assists in that amount of time.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #28
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Oh...and More JDIII

I don't care how bad he might be at D...he will make up for it on O

Getting very low production out of JS or GG is much more of a liability than a few mistakes. Those guys are averaging almost 40 minutes of BB between them. JS is averaging 2.5 pts, 1 assist, and 1 rebound in 17.5 minutes. GG actually played better in the second Ex game...but the main thing you want from a PG (assists)...he's averaging .5 assists in 21.5 minutes. He just can't create.

JDIII would have 12-15 points and several assists in that amount of time.

Mick follows the Huggins script on this one, if you cannot play defense you do not play. Good offense does not compensate for bad defense.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #29
BearcatSpaniard513
Elite Member

BearcatSpaniard513 is on a distinguished road
I've read 2 of you guys saying JDIII is too slow. Is that just coming from his defense or what? I thought he looked quick pushing the ball and he always has his head up looking for a play. I would not mind seeing him start game 1 and just seeing what comes from it.

Someone else said JDIII, SK, Lawrence, Rubles and Jackson and I think that could be our best offensive team. Until one of these freshman prove us all wrong.

I hope we find out where Strickland is sometime this week before Friday's game. Is he going to play or is he redshirting? And if he has not been practicing he most likely won't be much of a contributor this year.
BearcatSpaniard513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #30
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph1950 View Post
Mick follows the Huggins script on this one, if you cannot play defense you do not play. Good offense does not compensate for bad defense.
It's hard to tell one person they are coming out of the game for D mistakes and let the other one stay in there...I get that. But...BUT...a good coach can find away to get around that for the right player.

I don't think it's going to happen...but I think it should in this case.