Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome of the SMU game?
UC wins by 15+ 6 16.22%
UC wins by 10-14 12 32.43%
UC wins by 5-9 14 37.84%
UC wins by 1-4 3 8.11%
SMU wins 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #231
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdiddy513 View Post
the facts show that home teams win 75% of their games in college hoops
When you factor in that non-conference home teams are often heavy favorites (buy games), it's not as big of an advantage as you would think. Last year, home teams won 59% of conference games.

Kenpom found that there's about a 3 point home court advantage, and that it is better explained by fouls than any other stat. So it seems that crowds have more of an effect on the officials than the players.
kenpom.com/blog
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #232
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
When you factor in that non-conference home teams are often heavy favorites (buy games), it's not as big of an advantage as you would think. Last year, home teams won 59% of conference games.

Kenpom found that there's about a 3 point home court advantage, and that it is better explained by fouls than any other stat. So it seems that crowds have more of an effect on the officials than the players.
kenpom.com/blog
Great points! A lot of that home court stuff comes down to playing blowout teams. The crowd can/or does affect officiating sometimes. I think the home court seems closer to 5 points than 3 to me...but there is no science in that claim. I would assume shooting woes would also play a part. Last year we were one of the best FG% at home and one of the worst on the road. I don't think you can explain that with officiating. I think depth perception and comfortability play a big role.

The science here is that road teams shoot about 3% points less on average on the road than at home. I don't know what Kenpom has to say about that.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #233
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Great points! A lot of that home court stuff comes down to playing blowout teams. The crowd can/or does affect officiating sometimes. I think the home court seems closer to 5 points than 3 to me...but there is no science in that claim. I would assume shooting woes would also play a part. Last year we were one of the best FG% at home and one of the worst on the road. I don't think you can explain that with officiating. I think depth perception and comfortability play a big role.

The science here is that road teams shoot about 3% points less on average on the road than at home. I don't know what Kenpom has to say about that.
I think last year we were close to 10% points difference at home vs road games in terms of FG%. 3 point FG's was like 7% if my memory serves me.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #234
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think last year we were close to 10% points difference at home vs road games in terms of FG%. 3 point FG's was like 7% if my memory serves me.
Just a brief glance on Team Rankings last year. We were close to top 25 with home FG% and somewhere near 300 on the road. 11% difference. 57% to 46%. Chalk some of that up to playing horrible teams at home and tougher teams on the road but we had one of the largest spreads in CBB. Probably top 10 largest spreads or close to it.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #235
Zdiddy513

Zdiddy513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post

kenpom.com/blog
Teams winning 60% of home conference games is a huge difference. Even if its just the crowd influencing refs it still effects the results of the games. I agree that the players determine more yada yada I'm just saying it was weird to hear Cronin say that.

Last edited by Zdiddy513; 02-13-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Zdiddy513 is offline   Reply With Quote