Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-07-2018, 10:52 PM   #121
Defense first

Defense first is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Still not thrilled with Cronin's sub pattern this year...but when you are 27-4 its obvious a small issue. And the WSU box score of minutes shows you what Cronin will do in the NCAA tournament. But, making a list of things that could have been better about this year, playing Broome more on top. Substitution patterns my #2, and the short leash on Kyle at times bother me the most. That short leash on kyle pissed me off in the home game against WSU. We couldn't score. it was 5-4...all 4 points were Kyles. He comes out for a dumb play. How about the other 4 guys making dumb offensive plays!
I love Kyle, and yes he had all our 4 points, but he didn't box out for rebounds. If Kyle boxes out and rebounds, he will not get yanked as much.
Defense first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:24 AM   #122
Gocats

Gocats is on a distinguished road
Clearly, Kyle was a huge defensive liability against WSU. He could not guard at all That was why he kept getting yanked out of the game.
Gocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #123
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocats View Post
Clearly, Kyle was a huge defensive liability against WSU. He could not guard at all That was why he kept getting yanked out of the game.
Clearly the guys put in for him were an offensive liability. What's the difference really? Cronin is willing to live with guys that give up only 4 points but score 0 instead of giving up 4 and scoring 6. I don't like that math when everyone else couldnt score either.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #124
All we do is Guyn

All we do is Guyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Clearly the guys put in for him were an offensive liability. What's the difference really? Cronin is willing to live with guys that give up only 4 points but score 0 instead of giving up 4 and scoring 6. I don't like that math when everyone else couldnt score either.
I get your point and would probably agree in certain instances but Kyle was bad on both ends of the floor. 4/15 FG, 1/6 3pt.
All we do is Guyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #125
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
We scored 61 in the win and 74 in the loss. Wichita State is one of the best offenses in the country. Trying to outscore them is a recipe for disaster as is allowing them to score at will in the paint, which opens up every other facet of their scoring. Kyle was getting eaten alive by Morris. Taking him out was the best decision. Nsoseme and his zero points actually stopped their scoring. We have other players who can take shots. Kyle isn't the only option. Sure he's better than Brooks or Scott or Nsoseme, but the offense as a whole can operate without Kyle in the game.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #126
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by All we do is Guyn View Post
I get your point and would probably agree in certain instances but Kyle was bad on both ends of the floor. 4/15 FG, 1/6 3pt.
Wrong WSU game. The game in Cincy. Kyle played 17 minutes, shot 3-5.

He had our first 4 points.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #127
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Accountability is huge over the course of a season. Micks rule and many other successful coaches is if you don't guard you don't play.

Also his handling of subs is instrumental in how the bench players have developed. Broome had a huge adjustment in learning to play within himself and blending his talents with the others. He was also our only bench offensive threat. He is playing his best basketball at the most important time. Same for Williams,Scott and Brooks. He built this team for he long haul and to the players credit they all did their jobs.

At 27-4 and outright league champs I'll defer to his wisdom.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #128
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
If you go to the Gobearcats YouTube channel they have a nice highlight video of the season, also a good video of Cronin talking about the season and the future
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #129
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
If you go to the Gobearcats YouTube channel they have a nice highlight video of the season, also a good video of Cronin talking about the season and the future
Nice video recap of the season! One thing stuck out to me about the Cronin interview. "If you're standing still (not improving) you are getting passed up". We will see what changes Mick has in store for himself and how much of that is coach speak. He has to evolve if he wants to get better! He knows defense like the back of his hand. Can he ever or will he ever adjust offensive philosophy? I think this would be a perfect year to try it out...not a lot of heavy expectations. We can toy with 4 guards a lot this year if we want to. I think we should. I would like to see what that looks like. We have two all around scorers and two more who are a little more one dimensional.

I don't know what we have really in the new comers or with a guy like Diarra but I don't expect the frosh to be big contributors. Perhaps they can give us some depth or different looks at times. I am going to sit back and relax a little this year and not put a lot of expectations out there for achievements. This will be a year to watch certain kids grow into roles and see who is going to step up.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #130
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Nice video recap of the season! One thing stuck out to me about the Cronin interview. "If you're standing still (not improving) you are getting passed up". We will see what changes Mick has in store for himself and how much of that is coach speak. He has to evolve if he wants to get better! He knows defense like the back of his hand. Can he ever or will he ever adjust offensive philosophy? I think this would be a perfect year to try it out...not a lot of heavy expectations. We can toy with 4 guards a lot this year if we want to. I think we should. I would like to see what that looks like. We have two all around scorers and two more who are a little more one dimensional.

I don't know what we have really in the new comers or with a guy like Diarra but I don't expect the frosh to be big contributors. Perhaps they can give us some depth or different looks at times. I am going to sit back and relax a little this year and not put a lot of expectations out there for achievements. This will be a year to watch certain kids grow into roles and see who is going to step up.
100% coach speak.

We know our coach. We know how he operates.

He wasn't comfortable enough to turn a lineup of Broome, Evans, Cumberland, Clark, and Washington loose. No way he lets a lineup of more unproven, worse players loose. This season will be like the Caupain SO and JR year teams. My least favorite teams of the Cronin era. But that's who we will be. Think about our conference road games. Think about the lineups we will have out there. Think about what our coach turns to in big games. Rockfight USA.

I do agree this year would be the year to do it. But last year was the year to do it too.

I think we'll build this team from the grossest of all gross rockfights to a team that will be a worse version of what we were this year in a few years. It'd be nice if Cronin could build this thing the opposite way. Can you imagine if we lost a game like 90-87 or something? And over the course of the next couple years we had to make defensive adjustments to fit the "system" instead of always begging for more offense? Never going to happen. We'll be lucky to crack 60 in the majority of our 9 AAC road games.

I might actually choose not to watch some games next year. As crazy as that sounds. But if we play a gross, low-level game, and it's the worst version of the same thing we always get, I'll simply choose to do something else with my time. Not worth watching a 57-55 2OT game at Temple.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote