Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #171
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Let's not forget attendance was dropping at the end of the Huggs era as well.
You cannot convince me that the first season in the Big East with Huggins wouldn't have been nearly sold out every night. The momentum of getting into the Big East for basketball was immediately killed with Nancy fired Bob in August right before the season...
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #172
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
You cannot convince me that the first season in the Big East with Huggins wouldn't have been nearly sold out every night. The momentum of getting into the Big East for basketball was immediately killed with Nancy fired Bob in August right before the season...
NTS I agree with you. Firing BOb was handled so badly it certainly hurt attendance. The point I'm making is it wasn't the only issue. Attendance is down across the country.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #173
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The first Big East season was coached by Andy Kennedy. It was Devin Downey's 1 year at UC with Eric Hicks, James White, Jihad, etc. Attendence would most probably have been about the same.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #174
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph1950 View Post
The first Big East season was coached by Andy Kennedy. It was Devin Downey's 1 year at UC with Eric Hicks, James White, Jihad, etc. Attendence would most probably have been about the same.
Disagree. Getting the big time opponents like Syracuse, Villanova, and West Virginia along with the momentum of the being in the best basketball league in the country would have been huge!!!

All in the past now. Time to dominate the American!!
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #175
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Mick Cronin just helped himself big time last night!!

Pres. Ono also seems like he is on board with more help...hopefully he spearheads the help from the university
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #176
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
You cannot convince mee that the first season in the Big East with Huggins wouldn't have been nearly sold out every night. The momentum of getting into the Big East for basketball was immediately killed with Nancy fired Bob in August right before the season...
Im not trying to convince you of nothing I just stated a fact. Where's WVU now as a program? Bob Huggins has been on a self inflicted slide for years. I hated the way he was let go but im glad he's gone.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 01-31-2014 at 07:29 PM.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #177
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Im not trying to convince you of nothing I just stated a fact. Where's WVU now as a program? Bob Huggins has been on a self inflicted slide for years. I hated the way he was let go but im glad he's gone.
I agree with you here but there is very little doubt that the attendance would have been very good had he been here for the BE. Most conference games would have sold out for sure. But it's in the past and Mick has gotten them back in the spotlight.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:15 AM   #178
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

The city is starting to buzz with bearcat chatter. Lance advertised he was chatting bearcats early and often yesterday. He also stated he would hang up on anyone who called and mentioned Huggins or attendance.

I couldn't agree more it's time fans let go of the past and help MC continue to build this program going forward. We have a great tradition and a very good young Coach WHO WANTS TO BE HERE. Let's do our part. We're back baby and it's only going to get better. If you can't get behind that go find another team to follow.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #179
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
I agree with you here but there is very little doubt that the attendance would have been very good had he been here for the BE. Most conference games would have sold out for sure. But it's in the past and Mick has gotten them back in the spotlight.
Again, I'm not disputing that. Huggs was loved here and the move I think would have "energized" him for lack of a better word. Here's the thing. After his 4th season at WVU, once he had complete rosters of his own guys, He has made the NCAA once. I loved the guy but it is not secret his lifestyle overly affects what he does for a living. After leaving Cincy he got into better shape and lived moderately for a bit and you again saw the best in him. He's a helluva coach and it's a shame.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #180
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Time to let go of the past and embrace the future. We have a very capable young coach who can deliver a new era of UC hoops.

Anyone hear Connor Barwin on Moe's show yesterday? He was talking about his days playing BB for the Cats under Cronin. He said even in those early dark days you could see he was driven. He stated even when undermanned he never excepted losing. MC used to tear up the locker room at half time.