Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 05-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Rivalries in Big East

We've talked about a lot of these series before, and I think they're worth mentioning again because some of them make too much sense not to happen. Here's my list:

1. Pitt-Penn State: Feldman listed this as his No. 4 rivalry, and rightly so. The two Pennsylvania schools have not played since 2000 with no current plans to meet in the future. It's a travesty, really. Perhaps Pitt joining the Big Ten will finally get this series to resume, but it shouldn't have to come to that.

2. West Virginia-Virginia Tech: These two last met in 2005, and the former Big East rivals should be playing regularly given their proximity and shared success. For that matter, it would be good to see West Virginia play Virginia, which hasn't happened since 2002.

3. UConn-Boston College: Ill will from BC's move to the ACC has kept this natural rivalry from continuing. It will probably take new administrations on both sides -- or some sort of conference merger that reunites the two -- to get it going again. Northeast football is worse off with these two avoiding each other.

4. Cincinnati-Ohio State: This series is set to resume in 2014 following an eight-year hiatus. It would be great to see these two Buckeye State schools plays for bragging rights every year, especially if the Bearcats maintain their current level of performance. But it's unlikely that Ohio State would agree to a yearly series.

5. Louisville-Indiana: Hard to believe these schools have played only twice, and not since 1986. The Cardinals have long wanted to start a series with the Hoosiers, who have shown no interest in it. It's silly that Louisville is playing a nonconference game against Oregon State but can't get an agreement with the flagship university of the state that sits just across the Ohio River.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post...n-the-big-east
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
I have a feeling that these next two games against OSU may be the last games against OSU for many, many years. OSU definitely feels a bit threatened by UC right now. The "world" would end if OSU loses to UC.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Little Danny

Little Danny will become famous soon enough
I would add a few for UC:

UC v. Notre Dame
UC v. Kentucky
UC v. Michigan State (as long as Dantonio is there)

The UC/Notre Dame game would have always been huge due to the large catholic presence in the city. Now that BK bailed on UC to go to ND, the rivalry would be even more intense.

UC/UK would be interesting as well. UK is no OSU, but an annual tilt would help UC. If UC were able to compete and beat UK on an annual basis, alot of the Bluenecks would switch their allegiance to the Red and Black, IMHO.

UC/Michigan State would be great if only to show Coach Dantonio UC can aspire to be more than just a mid-major program. I imagine if the Spartans traveled to Clifton, Dantonio would coach his first sell out game at the Nipp.

Jason S:- If UC picks up where in left off in the next few years we might now ever play OSU again except for a bowl game. OSU only scheduled UC like it has as Jim T. made a commitment to play in state schools. OSU has scheduled YSU, Akron, Kent, Toledo, etc. because they knew they would be cupcakes. They assumed UC would be as well. Even if they still played UC at the same clip, 8 years from 2014 would be 2022. That is a long way off.
Little Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
kpzero

kpzero is on a distinguished road
Did I miss something? What happened to the 2012 game?
kpzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
The games are actually 2012 and 2014 at OSU. Incorrect info from Brian Bennett.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
JasonS
Football Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Danny View Post

UC v. Notre Dame
UC v. Kentucky

The UC/Notre Dame game would have always been huge due to the large catholic presence in the city. Now that BK bailed on UC to go to ND, the rivalry would be even more intense.

UC/UK would be interesting as well. UK is no OSU, but an annual tilt would help UC. If UC were able to compete and beat UK on an annual basis, alot of the Bluenecks would switch their allegiance to the Red and Black, IMHO.

UC/Michigan State would be great if only to show Coach Dantonio UC can aspire to be more than just a mid-major program. I imagine if the Spartans traveled to Clifton, Dantonio would coach his first sell out game at the Nipp.

Jason S:- If UC picks up where in left off in the next few years we might now ever play OSU again except for a bowl game. OSU only scheduled UC like it has as Jim T. made a commitment to play in state schools. OSU has scheduled YSU, Akron, Kent, Toledo, etc. because they knew they would be cupcakes. They assumed UC would be as well. Even if they still played UC at the same clip, 8 years from 2014 would be 2022. That is a long way off.
I think 2014 is it as long as Tressell is the coach. His in-state recruiting is getting a lot tougher with Kelly at ND and UC a viable option. While they are still landing a big majority of in-state talents, a loss or 2 to UC could really threaten that. I don't think that UC will ever out-recruit OSU in Ohio but I really think UC could start to win some key battles over the next few years.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Danny View Post

UC v. Notre Dame
UC v. Kentucky

UC-Kentucky would make sense to me, although the fact that they already play a Big East team every year (Louisville) would make it unlikely. UC-Notre Dame/Michigan St only is intriguing because of the coaches and only intriguing on our side of the fence. That isn't a reason to schedule a rivalry. Rivalries need to make sense on both sides. I don't want to play Central Michigan every year because we took their coach. UC-Notre Dame at PBS every now and again could make sense for ND just to keep up with their established fan-base here, but they'd probably be better off playing someone other than us in that game so they could get more share of the money by making it a "home" game. Plus honestly, I don't think they're in danger of losing any of their fan base locally, they probably gained some by hiring Kelly. You know how our Bearcat bandwagon fans like to follow the coach before the program.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
JasonS
Football Moderator

Unlike the Huggins situation, I don't know of any UC Football fans who are now following ND because Kelly is there. First, you are discussing apples to oranges in the way each coach left. Second, I think it is unfair to paint UC Football fans with that kind of a brush. People are behind this program. Look at season ticket sales and it will tell you everything you need to know.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Little Danny

Little Danny will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Unlike the Huggins situation, I don't know of any UC Football fans who are now following ND because Kelly is there. First, you are discussing apples to oranges in the way each coach left. Second, I think it is unfair to paint UC Football fans with that kind of a brush. People are behind this program. Look at season ticket sales and it will tell you everything you need to know.
Yeah I think the people in Cincinnati who are supporting Kelly at ND were
a) already ND fans
b) UC haters to begin with and were hoping Kelly's departure would mean UC's demise.

I know for a fact Kelly did anger some people locally with the way he left. I am not just talking about regular Joe Bloe's either, I am referring to high school football coaches and the like.

Regarding the rivalry games being beneficial to UC only; I understand that. I still think it would make for a heck of a game. Can you image the atmosphere of a UC/ND match up down at PBS? The game would sell out in two seconds and we'd have a tailgate party like you wouldn't believe.
Little Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post

We haven't started losing yet. Hopefully we don't miss a beat and keep winning. I agree the situations are different and Kelly rubbed plenty of people the wrong way by leaving. I'm really not trying to be negative here. And I wasn't trying to say we lost fans, but ND probably gained some fans. Lets not pretend either that alot of our fans that recently jumped on board were probably big basketball fans 10 years ago. I have six season tickets and the friends that have two of them texted me within minutes of Kelly leaving that they might not be down to renew with me this year.