Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Mick says UC should be ranked higher

Trying to use the no respect card:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2011/...ranked-higher/
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Cronin is wrong imo... Look we have played NO ONE, and we have played at home a ton. I'm perfectly fine being a 24 and 25.

Keep winning and it will work itself out.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
catsfan32

catsfan32 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatone View Post
I like it, from the quotes from cash it sounds as if they aren't satisfied with being 25/24 in the country. I think that's all Cronin is getting at when he say's they aren't ranked high enough. He is using it as a tool to keep his players hungry. Man people really don't understand "coach speak" do they.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
wildbill04

wildbill04 is on a distinguished road
If they play a whole game like they played the first 15 minutes against DePaul the ranking will be there
wildbill04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
I like the typical coach speak of: "I don't care where we're ranked now, I care where we're ranked at the end of the season." or the simple "We'll just have to work harder and make more believers out of people."

I don't have a huge problem but this does come across as whiney. If Mick wants to use that angle with his kids, make sense, but why not keep it in house?

Sorry, I've never been a fan of diminishing other programs ("the teams ahead of us with 3 losses" or the shot on the A10 a few years ago) I just don't think there's anything to gain from it. If you're, I don't know, Bruce Weber, Tubby Smith, or even Pitino, you might have that comment relayed to you, basically Mick saying his team is better. Maybe not a issue at all, but why risk it?

Plus, it is kind of a shot on both the AP and/coaches that comprise the voters. Do you think you get any extra favors questioning them? I mean it can't help, right.

Whatever. No biggie, I just wish he would have a given a real simple "who cares, doesn't matter right now" type of answer.

Last edited by MDW79; 01-04-2011 at 05:21 PM.
MDW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
I have no problem with him knocking every single voter in the coaches poll... as little respect as UC's gotten in the AP poll it's been even worse in the coaches. This team will back up their talk with their play on the court Thursday night. I think they've got a point to prove to the nation.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
I like the typical coach speak of: "I don't care where we're ranked now, I care where we're ranked at the end of the season." or the simple "We'll just have to work harder and make more believers out of people."

I don't have a huge problem but this does come across as whiney. If Mick wants to use that angle with his kids, make sense, but why not keep it in house?

Sorry, I've never been a fan of diminishing other programs ("the teams ahead of us with 3 losses" or the shot on the A10 a few years ago) I just don't think there's anything to gain from it. If you're, I don't know, Bruce Weber, Tubby Smith, or even Pitino, you might have that comment relayed to you, basically Mick saying his team is better. Maybe not a issue at all, but why risk it?

Plus, it is kind of a shot on both the AP and/coaches that comprise the voters. Do you think you get any extra favors questioning them? I mean it can't help, right.

Whatever. No biggie, I just wish he would have a given a real simple "who cares, doesn't matter right now" type of answer.
Huggins used this tact for 16 years. What's more he is right. UC isn't getting respect from the talking heads. Do you think if Syracuse had the same record and schedule they wouldn't have been ranked weeks ago? The players have bought in and that's what a coaches job is. I say mission accomplished.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Huggins used this tact for 16 years. What's more he is right. UC isn't getting respect from the talking heads. Do you think if Syracuse had the same record and schedule they wouldn't have been ranked weeks ago? The players have bought in and that's what a coaches job is. I say mission accomplished.
While I agree with Mick I don't think he said this by accident. He wants the players to be hungry. For awhile the battle cry was we weren't ranked, now it is we aren't getting enough respect. This is more tactical than anything.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I never argued whether he's right or wrong about ranking. (although I think he may be) I just don't think you say anything, other than in house, or unless it's blatant disrespect.

Let's be honest here, how much do we really believe we're legitimately getting snubbed? Does anybody think we should be top 15? If not, we're at 24th, why make waves over maybe 4 spots or so?

To each their own, but it just sounds like whining to me, especially after finally breaking into the poll. It would be different if it were the end of Feb and we're campaigning for a seed. (That's when I remember Huggs mouthing off here and there, and didn't necessarily love that either.)

What's wrong with saying "We're happy to be ranked, but we still have a lot of work to do" or something? And if the situation was reversed (your Syracuse question) I'm not so sure that Boeheim doesn't handle that subject with a little more tact. And, yes, Cuse would be ranked prior you're right. But when you have a HOF coach, have won titles, and good every year you get some benefit of the doubt. It may not be right, but that's how it works.

I could be wrong. Maybe I making much ado about nothing, but it irked me a little. I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited by MDW79; 01-04-2011 at 05:56 PM.
MDW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I think you use what you have to motivate your team. The team is motivated and feels it has something to prove. I say well done.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote