Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-25-2019, 07:07 PM   #41
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If Scott can keep up that clip...and we can get one more 35% shooter from the main rotation guards...we will be alright. It would also help, and should be expected, that all of our wings/guards improve their %'s. I mean....%'s in the 20's are a rock bottom number. Especially when you consider that most of them are basically wide open looks as they would not otherwise attempt them with guys like Cumberland, and Jenifer on the floor.

Wide open set shooting should be a minimum of 30% and to be honest probably should be closer to 35% plus. Expecting improvements from the supporting cast should not be even close to asking to much.
I like Tre Scott. I think he can help win some games, but if we are counting on him to be one of our best shooters, that is an issue.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:16 PM   #42
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I like Tre Scott. I think he can help win some games, but if we are counting on him to be one of our best shooters, that is an issue.
I am not counting on Scott being a volume 35% guy but beggars can’t be choosers. You would hope our guards would be the shooters but I don’t care who gets the job done.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:58 PM   #43
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
But he's the best shooter Mick has ever seen in his entire life.
Just watch his high school highlights, he can shoot. Like how are you mocking Mick about this? As if it’s Micks fault this kid broke his shot.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:00 PM   #44
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I mean he does have a really nice touch, like Waterhead said it’s not about volume, it’s about the ability to stretch the court when needed. I hope Scott does become one of our best shooters, that would help tremendously
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:52 AM   #45
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
(Sorry for the long post.)

Just thinking positively, I see this team improving all around next season.

The jump made from our front court players over the course of this season was great and I'm hoping over the summer Brooks and Scott will continue to improve their offense. I think their defense was pretty much in line with other decent Bearcat teams. Diarra and Nsoseme have to make a similar jump on both sides of the court this offseason, and I think they show good promise to do that. Their energy is exactly the sort of thing I think Cronin is hoping for every year.

I know he had some decent rebounding numbers and contributed, but I see Fredericks as kind of a wasted opportunity. I know Cronin doesn't like Grad Transfers, but we could have someone with leadership and playing experience in there instead of a guy who was mostly trying to figure out where to stand.

This is only a guess, but I bet Cronin has Cumberland play the point much of the season. He's talked about how that's a position Cumberland needs to improve his game in to become a better pro prospect (in any pro league).

Here are two or three lineup approaches:

1) Cumberland PG, Williams SG, Moore SF, Scott PF, Brooks C
Williams made a great jump over last summer and I see him stepping up towards an even bigger role. Moore either needs to click this summer or maybe transfer, but I guess he's the best option to spread the floor and allow good movement. I use to hate whenever Jennifer was in the game, but he finally clicked to have a stellar season, so anything is possible with Moore.

OR

2) Johnson PG, Williams SG, Cumberland SF, Scott PF, Brooks C
This would most likely be how we treated things with Jennifer this season, as Cumberland frequently ran the offense. It makes sense because of Johnson's defensive potential to keep him out there more, but he's still really green as a college PG and would be a great backup. While his minutes should increase, I'm not 100% on board with making him a starter. Curtis MIGHT be a freshman surprise in the starting lineup, but I can't go there yet without seeing him playing against D1 talent.

OR (getting a bit creative here)

3) Cumberland PG, Williams SG, Scott SF, Nsoseme PF, Brooks C
I think Scott wants to improve his shooting and he's taken steps to show that can happen. I think if we had Scott, Nsoseme, and Brooks all on the floor for the first five to six minutes of a game, we could dominate a team out of the gate. After that substitute Brooks or Nsoseme out for a breather and start to rotate them from then on. Just like with Brooks this season, Nsoseme needs minutes to figure things out better. He has a lot of potential and can probably defend better than Scott in the post. Scott can defend the three against many of the teams we play, especially if he's practicing for that.

So, I'm sure someone here will shoot holes in these ideas, but it's just speculation for fun. Curtis will likely see more time at SG, but I know he wants to play PG. I'm guessing Hardnett will be working at the three and Toyambi will be at the four, but I have no clue how they've been doing in practice learning the system.

Hopefully everyone is shooting 100 three pointers a day in the offseason. We need those to be falling far more reliably.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:37 AM   #46
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
If Moore starts we r in trouble
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #47
z_bearcat

z_bearcat is on a distinguished road
Years ago, I read an article in the Columbus Dispatch regarding Michael Redd. It said he spent the summer shooting 300 three pointers every day. Maybe this is occurring with the Bearcats, but judging by the FG% the team has posted this season, I have my doubts. FWIW.
z_bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #48
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
I hope for my sanity that Moore does not start. With that being said I felt the same way about Jenifer after his sophomore year and he made tremendous improvement his Jr and Sr years. So I am hoping the same for Trevor Moore, I think Moore's problem is more of a metal thing, if he can get some shots to fall early next year I think he will have an improved season. Obviously Cumberland leaving could throw a huge wrench in any perceived lineup.

If Cumberland DOES leave I think Moore will be thrust into the starting lineup.

PG- LOJO
G-Trevor Moore or Curtis (Realistically I don't think he will start as a freshman)
G/F-Keith Williams
F-Scott
C-Brooks
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:42 AM   #49
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_bearcat View Post
Years ago, I read an article in the Columbus Dispatch regarding Michael Redd. It said he spent the summer shooting 300 three pointers every day. Maybe this is occurring with the Bearcats, but judging by the FG% the team has posted this season, I have my doubts. FWIW.
You have d3 high school guys getting up 500 shots a day. If moore didnt go to gym next morning after we loss he shouldn't be on team. Like brooks somebody worked with him on finishing during the year, we seen improvement with him Just dunking instead of going for layups. If college d1 players with the best resources around can't improve Thats on them not coach
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #50
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
I hope for my sanity that Moore does not start. With that being said I felt the same way about Jenifer after his sophomore year and he made tremendous improvement his Jr and Sr years. So I am hoping the same for Trevor Moore, I think Moore's problem is more of a metal thing, if he can get some shots to fall early next year I think he will have an improved season. Obviously Cumberland leaving could throw a huge wrench in any perceived lineup.

If Cumberland DOES leave I think Moore will be thrust into the starting lineup.

PG- LOJO
G-Trevor Moore or Curtis (Realistically I don't think he will start as a freshman)
G/F-Keith Williams
F-Scott
C-Brooks

If Cumberland were to leave I think it would be appropriate to sell out for a shoot-first grad transfer at the guard/wing position.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote