Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 04-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #291
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Typical response on all the message boards. Everyone was popping boners over this kid when he first jumped on the radar screen and now that he's signed with SJU everyone is downplaying him.

Had he signed with UC everyone would be acting like he's the second coming of KMart.

Kid looks like a legit prospect, I wish we would have gotten him, on paper I'd rather have him over Mbodji.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #292
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Typical response on all the message boards. Everyone was popping boners over this kid when he first jumped on the radar screen and now that he's signed with SJU everyone is downplaying him.

Had he signed with UC everyone would be acting like he's the second coming of KMart.

Kid looks like a legit prospect, I wish we would have gotten him, on paper I'd rather have him over Mbodji.
Sorry, but not me. I've been pretty honest when we've missed on recruits. There are plenty that I really wish we would have landed. And had UC had a free scholarship like last year, I would have loved to have gotten him. But I'd prefer to keep the current team in place and the recruits that will likely be around for 4 years versus a 2 year Juco player.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #293
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:

And????? As this is a UC website, do you find it surprising that posters are excited when someone joins the fold, and temper the disappointment of being jilted by downplaying the impact that a said recruit may have had? Its called human nature, and is not unique to this or ANY teams message boards. By the way, no one was popping 'boners' for GG. He was never going to be the second coming of Kmart, and no one on any message board imtimated such. He was needed simply because of a lack of depth in the frontcourt, but the addition of Mbodj should address this. According to DeCoursey the coaching staff chose to end their pursuit of GG after Mbodj'e committment. Doesn't sound like they had a 'boner' for him either.
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #294
nparker1
Elite Member

nparker1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

welcome to BearcatTalk UC Bearcats...if you haven't realized it yet, this group is made up of true fans who bring a lot to the table with their discussions...although i really like the "popping boners" expression, no one can be blamed for showing some enthusiasm. as anbuc88 said, the main reason for the interest was due to need/necessity in the frontcourt. GG would have been a nice addition, but i feel as though the coaching staff is confident in their decision and scouting, especially after reading DeCourcy's comment...i am very excited to see this ball team next year and hopefully this summer in the Deveroes league.
Go Bearcats!
nparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #295
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Sorry, but not me. I've been pretty honest when we've missed on recruits. There are plenty that I really wish we would have landed. And had UC had a free scholarship like last year, I would have loved to have gotten him. But I'd prefer to keep the current team in place and the recruits that will likely be around for 4 years versus a 2 year Juco player.
I thought he would fill the need of rebounder and defense from a kid with a high motor. I don't remember anyone saying he was a superstar. Just a guy that fit our need. I think people were excited because he was one of the projected best available bigs in a class short on them. Most everyone was saying that we needed a 15 minute a game guy.

Having done more research on Modji I believe he will fit the bill fine, and my research says he has a better overall game than GG, but may not be as physically ready at this moment. Again, many say Gift is better suited at the 3but GG's ball skills and lack of range make it difficult to translate that to High D1 ball. Remember, not much info is out there on either of these guys. Time allows you to look deeper.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #296
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I thought he would fill the need of rebounder and defense from a kid with a high motor. I don't remember anyone saying he was a superstar. Just a guy that fit our need. I think people were excited because he was one of the projected best available bigs in a class short on them. Most everyone was saying that we needed a 15 minute a game guy.

Having done more research on Modji I believe he will fit the bill fine, and my research says he has a better overall game than GG, but may not be as physically ready at this moment. Again, many say Gift is better suited at the 3but GG's ball skills and lack of range make it difficult to translate that to High D1 ball. Remember, not much info is out there on either of these guys. Time allows you to look deeper.
GG is extremely raw on offense. i think you are correct in that most of use wanted him for his rebounding and high motor. i think anyone who expected more than 5pt and 4boards a game from him was getting a little aggressive. i think i speak for most in saying we wanted GG because he could provide immediate depth that Ellis will not be able to provide.
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #297
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I will repeat what I said awhile back. If we can get 6-8 points and 5-6 boards a game from a back up post guy we will be golden. Gaines will give us defense, shot blocking and defense. With the athleticism and length of Mbodji, Gates, Jackson and Gaines, the Bearcats will give teams trouble in the paint.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #298
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Quote from a coach whose team defeated GG's team:

“God’s Gift is a big, physical 5 man who has big, strong hands that enable him to really rebound,” said one JUCO coach whose team beat Erie this season. “He scored a lot because of his superior athleticism, height, and strength this year. In order for him to be an impact at the high-major level he will have to really improve on his back- to-the-backet scoring. At only 6-7, or 6-8, will also need to improve his skill-set, especially his left hand.”
Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #299
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Just watched ESPN first take and they interviewed GG. Can't help but be a little bitter but least it appeared his dribbling skills were lacking. But man, size wise, dude is a big guy.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote