Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 03-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
BTW, check out the attitude at the 1:25 mark of the first video posted above.

That's the kid of attitude I want on this team. In your face, ready to lock you up, taking it as a personal challenge.

Get this kid in here.

However, I fear the distance is a huge problem.
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatAlum1 View Post
BTW, check out the attitude at the 1:25 mark of the first video posted above.

That's the kid of attitude I want on this team. In your face, ready to lock you up, taking it as a personal challenge.

Get this kid in here.

However, I fear the distance is a huge problem.
I wonder who the other two teams are in his top three... I'm assuming UCLA if they are still recruiting him...

UCLA did receive a commitment from a JUCO PG on Dec. 27th... I'm not aware of their scholarship situation but maybe that affected Burton's recruitment.

Last edited by psax889906; 03-28-2010 at 11:47 AM.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by psax889906 View Post
I wonder who the other two teams are in his top three... I'm assuming UCLA if they are still recruiting him...

UCLA did receive a commitment from a JUCO PG on Dec. 27th... I'm not aware of their scholarship situation but maybe that affected Burton's recruitment.
UCLA is in the mix.

I'd guess the other school is Southern Cal.

Arizona was trying to make a move, but they're in a serious scholarship jam.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
The only thing that scares me about him is his height. It seems that his reported height of 6-1 is generous. If he can consistently hit the 3, I'm all for him becoming a Bearcat, but wonder if he will be a defensive liability based on his height. I would defer to BearcatAlum1 and others who follow recruiting closer than I to see if they think this may be an issue.
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbuc88 View Post
The only thing that scares me about him is his height. It seems that his reported height of 6-1 is generous. If he can consistently hit the 3, I'm all for him becoming a Bearcat, but wonder if he will be a defensive liability based on his height. I would defer to BearcatAlum1 and others who follow recruiting closer than I to see if they think this may be an issue.
He can play PG or SG. Even if small than 6'1", I'm not concerned at all. The kid has a 40" vertical and is well built. He is a very solidly built guard.

Very good defender. Excellent athleticism. Solid handles and a good shooter.

He constantly guards bigger players.

I'd love for us to have the option of having two or three true point guards on the floor at the same time.

Burton would fit in well with a 3 guard offense, or any offense for that matter.

This kid reminds me of this years Eric Bledsoe because he is rising late in the game. Bledsoe was elevated to a 5* recruit very late in the process.

I think Burton would be a tremendous addition.

FWIW, he was a top 50 recruit in the country as a freshman in high school.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #16
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
The kid's name is Burton, he's gotta be able to shoot 3's, right?

From what I've read on here he sounds like a good fit. Mick needs to work his magic and get him in here.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #17
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatAlum1 View Post
He can play PG or SG. Even if small than 6'1", I'm not concerned at all. The kid has a 40" vertical and is well built. He is a very solidly built guard.

Very good defender. Excellent athleticism. Solid handles and a good shooter.

He constantly guards bigger players.

I'd love for us to have the option of having two or three true point guards on the floor at the same time.

Burton would fit in well with a 3 guard offense, or any offense for that matter.

This kid reminds me of this years Eric Bledsoe because he is rising late in the game. Bledsoe was elevated to a 5* recruit very late in the process.

I think Burton would be a tremendous addition.

FWIW, he was a top 50 recruit in the country as a freshman in high school.
Height is one thing, strength is another. A good perimeter defender has to have some strength to prevent opposing players from getting into the lane. Speed, quickness, and strength in my opinion, are more important. Burton has those attributes.

I like the Bledsoe comparison and agree with it. "If" this kid can be signed, sign him. He can play either guard position, Has great quickness and strength, and the attitude to compete. He will get immediate minutes here if he comes.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #18
ginagelj

ginagelj is on a distinguished road
I'm deontes' aunt and i just want to clarify a couple of things deonte is 6'2 first of all for some reason his profile hasn't been updated. And with reference to schools he's being sought after by Kansas State. Boston College,New Mexico, Washington State, Nevada, UCLA and of course Cincinnati. As of now, he's visited Nevada and UCLA, and is planning on visiting Cincinnati, Washington State and Boston College.

Last edited by ginagelj; 03-29-2010 at 05:27 PM.
ginagelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #19
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
^^^Thanks for posting. I don't know if this is really Deontes' family member, but it should remind everyone that family members and recruits visit these sites. What you post and your tenor can make a difference.
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #20
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Burton throws in 34 for Centennial
By Brian Baiotto
The Long Beach Press-Telegram
Posted: 03/13/2010 10:21:54 PM PST

Centennial High was going to play for the CIF Division III State title if it was the last thing that Deonte Burton did.

Burton scored a game-high 34 points to lead the Apaches to an 83-77 victory over visiting Gahr on Saturday night.

Burton hit three 3-pointers and went 12 of 12 from the free throw line, but it was when he scored that made Burton's night so special.

Every time a valiant Gladiators (27-6) team made a run, Burton was there with a daggar.

"I felt like I had to go to the ball all night and I'm so happy I to have helped us get to the title game," Burton said.

http://mostlyuclahoops.blogspot.com/...ta-burton.html
swg is offline   Reply With Quote