Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #191
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
The reason we lost is simple. The three main guys went 11-40 from the field. KW had a bad game, Trevon went back to his typical self, and Jarron continues the biggest drop off of a player that I can ever remember. This team will not do well without those three. They had been playing better of late because KW has been playing better, but tonight all three were below average.

Not surprising to see the Vogt/Brannen haters come out of the woods after that game. But defense was not the reason they lost.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #192
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
The reason we lost is simple. The three main guys went 11-40 from the field. KW had a bad game, Trevon went back to his typical self, and Jarron continues the biggest drop off of a player that I can ever remember. This team will not do well without those three. They had been playing better of late because KW has been playing better, but tonight all three were below average.

Not surprising to see the Vogt/Brannen haters come out of the woods after that game. But defense was not the reason they lost.
There is no "reason we lost", it's a combination of things. The defense wasn't great by any means, but yes the offense was worse. But the offense created open looks, we just didn't make them.

Trevon missed shots he can and should make, there's not a lot that can be done about that. KW missed some makeable shots as well and also had only 3 rebounds. McNeal needs to learn not to shoot from 3 unless there really is no other choice (under 5 seconds on the shot clock).

Iowa played smarter than Tennessee on both sides. We only have three guys on our team who are threats to shoot from three, cover those three and dare the other guys (especially McNeal) to shoot. Tennessee left the Cumberland's open for three a number of times and got burned, Iowa left McNeal wide open and it worked.

On offense, Iowa took advantage of our bad defenders (Jaevin, Vogt, Sorolla). Iowa doesn't have elite athletes, but they played smart and took advantage of matchups. When you have guys on the floor who have huge holes in their games, it's an open invitation to smart teams/coaches.

We need to play guys with holes in their games (Jaevin, Vogt, Sorolla on defense, McNeal, Diarra on offense) but Brannen could make more of an effort to vary players and play to matchups (and tell McNeal he isn't allowed to shoot threes).
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #193
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
First game I played attention to skyblade and Justin concerns about vogt D. Iowa worked to remove vogt from paint every time and it worked for most part to beat us. Need find him a comfort zone around paint. Diarra needs minutes also.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #194
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
First game I played attention to skyblade and Justin concerns about vogt D. Iowa worked to remove vogt from paint every time and it worked for most part to beat us. Need find him a comfort zone around paint. Diarra needs minutes also.
Vogt can’t move, don’t think that’s a secret. If he has to, it’s not going to go well. My thing is, he provides enough positives to Counter some of the negatives. If we are counting on Vogt as our main piece, offensively or defensively, we probably aren’t very good.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #195
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Not sure watching the time he's going against one of the best big men in the country is the fairest barometer lol That said, I think we can all agree Vogt is a below average defender. But I think he's big enough to do okay in AAC level of play and provides a lot more on the offensive end. I rewatched all scoring plays of the Tennessee game and he wasn't responsible for giving up more than maybe 6 points.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #196
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Of course he's more than capable, I don't even blame him for being picked on defensively. I believe he's smart enough to adjust to whatever zone we create for him and that should be our plan going forward. Can't continue to get beat by same strategy over and over again.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #197
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Its not the points he gives up that show in metrics we're talking about. Every team almost every play has there big man drift to 3pt line to clear the paint of a big. Iowa game plan was to get our C away from basket. That was reason why their all American didn't dominate, game plan was for their wings to do damage against us in paint.