Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #241
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
We are currently ranked #69 in kenpom offense. It has been three years since we were finished the season ranked lower (#70 in 2016-17).

Not only does UC's defense look significantly worse under Brannen, the offense has also gone backwards.

We just look like a poorly coached team now.

Maybe Brannen will end up being a great coach, I haven't given up on him yet. But he hasn't been good this year. It's been a long time and I don't have the greatest memory, but I recall even in Cronin's early years - when we were rebuilding and badly lacked talent - we played tough and brought energy and intensity. It's hard to believe in Brannen when he can't get that out of talented players.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #242
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
We are currently ranked #69 in kenpom offense. It has been three years since we were finished the season ranked lower (#70 in 2016-17).

Not only does UC's defense look significantly worse under Brannen, the offense has also gone backwards.

Maybe Brannen will end up being a great coach, I haven't given up on him yet. But he hasn't been good this year. It's been a long time and I don't have the greatest memory, but I recall even in Cronin's early years - when we were rebuilding and badly lacked talent - we played tough and brought energy and intensity. It's hard to believe in Brannen when he can't get that out of talented players.
This is what it looks like when your best player is struggling and you recruit half your roster is June.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #243
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:

45 in d
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #244
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCats329 View Post
3 regular season and 2 conference tournament championships in the AAC in 6 years. By my math that's 5 out of 12. I think if you asked most teams if they'd like to win their conference roughly half the time they would say "**** yes". If you're going to sit here and bash him for never winning the Big East you're nuts (they did make the tournament final the same year they made the Sweet 16.)

As for the NCAA tournament, yes, they lost to a few lower seed teams (#12 Harvard--who should have been more like a 7; #7 Nevada--literally the only MAJOR ****-up I would hold against him in his 13 year tenure) but also had the pleasure of getting to play #1 seed Kentucky in Lexington and #3 seed UCLA in Sacramento. They lost as the 6 seed against #3 National Champion UConn in 11. They lost a few 8-9 games as the 9 seed, including one where they had to play an underseeded Creighton team that had NPOY Doug McDermott. They made a Sweet 16 by winning a 6-3 game against FSU as the 6. That's his tournament record. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be.
This is the biggest difference between teams like Uconn and Uc. Teams that have success in March. They also play good teams in the tourney, but they expect to win and believe they can beat these teams. We blame seeds, regions, times, and whatever else we can blame.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #245
UCats329

UCats329 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
This is the biggest difference between teams like Uconn and Uc. Teams that have success in March. They also play good teams in the tourney, but they expect to win and believe they can beat these teams. We blame seeds, regions, times, and whatever else we can blame.
The difference between pre-2014 UConn and UC is simple: HOF Coach Jim Calhoun. UConn ain't been shit since.
UCats329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #246
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
45 in d
The last year we were ranked 45 or worse in kenpom defense was 2009. 45th in defense isn't terrible, but for a UC team that's known for defense, it's not good.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #247
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Quote:
The last year we were ranked 45 or worse in kenpom defense was 2009. 45th in defense isn't terrible, but for a UC team that's known for defense, it's not good.
But I thought our d is horrible every game... I’ve been led to believe that by you and Justin
Old 03-01-2020, 05:44 PM   #248
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCats329 View Post
The difference between pre-2014 UConn and UC is simple: HOF Coach Jim Calhoun. UConn ain't been shit since.
I think they are starting to believe again. I agree, Calhoun was the main reason but they also weren't scared when they seen more talented teams or higher seeded teams. I feel like we never even expect to win those games. Someone talked about "a low seeded Creighton team" or "A talented Ohio State team". My point is, you're still allowed to win those games. Other teams do it all the time. Cronin was terrible in the tournament. No one should ever defend that.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #249
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
And he isn’t in a place to yank guys based on effort; he has said as much in his post games.

A few guys on here are hurt by the loss of mediocre mick and will pick out anything no matter how irrational.
Bro its just some ppl are more capable of getting others to do things its really as simple as that. Brannen doesn't strike as one of those guys thats really effective getting the most out of somebody he's probably a more x and o analytical kind of guy and theres nothing wrong with that...
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #250
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Bro its just some ppl are more capable of getting others to do things its really as simple as that. Brannen doesn't strike as one of those guys thats really effective getting the most out of somebody he's probably a more x and o analytical kind of guy and theres nothing wrong with that...
Ok brah