Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-05-2020, 06:59 PM   #31
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Vogt is averaging 6 rebounds in 29 minutes, in conference he is even worse, averaging 5.4, while playing 30 minutes per game. In conference that is an average of 7.2 rebounds/40 minutes.

I agree he shouldn't average 10 per game, but he definitely should average at least 8 (and preferably 9+) rebounds per 40. 7.2 rebounds/40 for a 7 foot guy is terrible.
I’m not saying he is something he isn’t right now, that’s not the point I was making at all. It’s this no ceiling thing you have for Diarra but for some reason Vogt is literally as good as he will ever be. It makes absolutely no sense. Vogt is never going to be athletic, that’s a gimme. But he can become a little more agile, a little smarter about learning where to be for rebounds and he certainly can get stronger when it comes to boxing out. They are two different players and for some reason because Vogt isn’t a better version of Diarra you think he is terrible. I see his deficiencies, but I think he has just as much a chance to improve as anyone else. You’re just so far up Diarras ass it’s kind of weird
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #32
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
It was always bad. Houston wasn’t good till recently. Its always been a 1-2 good team league. The rest were trash. I think that’s why people remember mick dominating the league. Everyone was trash. In the recent years, I think it’s been a lot better. WSU, Houston, and at least teams that are decent. Smu, Tulsa, UCf, temple, Memphis. The last couple years a few of these teams were at least decent.
Lol
Old 03-05-2020, 07:40 PM   #33
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I’m not saying he is something he isn’t right now, that’s not the point I was making at all. It’s this no ceiling thing you have for Diarra but for some reason Vogt is literally as good as he will ever be. It makes absolutely no sense. Vogt is never going to be athletic, that’s a gimme. But he can become a little more agile, a little smarter about learning where to be for rebounds and he certainly can get stronger when it comes to boxing out. They are two different players and for some reason because Vogt isn’t a better version of Diarra you think he is terrible. I see his deficiencies, but I think he has just as much a chance to improve as anyone else. You’re just so far up Diarras ass it’s kind of weird
The difference is that Vogt's deficiencies are much harder (or impossible) to fix than Diarra's. Vogt is never going to become much more athletic, much more mobile or a skilled shooter. His shooting form is not something likely to be fixed in an off season. Sure he could add a little agility, a little strength, box out a little better. But his ceiling isn't much higher than what he is now: a guy who can beat up on undersized, less athletic teams, but who can't deal with teams that have size, strength and/or athleticism. Should be a backup at this level.

Diarra's issues are due to lack of experience. He has the size, the athleticism, the mobility, the shooting ability and even some ball handling. It's just a matter of him learning to put it all together. Experience is gained through playing time and as he gets more he will just continue to improve. That's part of why his improvement has been so rapid this season. Give him starting minutes and he may be the best player on the team by the end of next season.

Diarra is already far better on defense, a better rebounder and a better jump shooter than Vogt. Diarra is much more likely to surpass Vogt on offense (if you believe the conference ORTG numbers, he already has) than Vogt is to get near Diarra's level on defense/rebounding.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:09 PM   #34
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lol
Ok, the league was good. Justin just posted the league was worse. Maybe he’s lying. Wouldn’t surprise me.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:57 PM   #35
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
The difference is that Vogt's deficiencies are much harder (or impossible) to fix than Diarra's. Vogt is never going to become much more athletic, much more mobile or a skilled shooter. His shooting form is not something likely to be fixed in an off season. Sure he could add a little agility, a little strength, box out a little better. But his ceiling isn't much higher than what he is now: a guy who can beat up on undersized, less athletic teams, but who can't deal with teams that have size, strength and/or athleticism. Should be a backup at this level.

Diarra's issues are due to lack of experience. He has the size, the athleticism, the mobility, the shooting ability and even some ball handling. It's just a matter of him learning to put it all together. Experience is gained through playing time and as he gets more he will just continue to improve. That's part of why his improvement has been so rapid this season. Give him starting minutes and he may be the best player on the team by the end of next season.

Diarra is already far better on defense, a better rebounder and a better jump shooter than Vogt. Diarra is much more likely to surpass Vogt on offense (if you believe the conference ORTG numbers, he already has) than Vogt is to get near Diarra's level on defense/rebounding.
Dude you act like there’s isn’t a bunch of unathletic centers in the NBA who can’t shoot. He has plenty of upside.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #36
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dude you act like there’s isn’t a bunch of unathletic centers in the NBA who can’t shoot. He has plenty of upside.

im against the Vogt hate, but those guys don't exist in the NBA anymore.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:00 PM   #37
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
im against the Vogt hate, but those guys don't exist in the NBA anymore.
It’s certainly not the 80s and 90s but there are still quite a few.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:26 AM   #38
icehole3

icehole3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It’s certainly not the 80s and 90s but there are still quite a few.
I agree, NBA has it's share of Vogt's
icehole3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:19 AM   #39
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I'll be interested to see if Xavier's Jason Carter will put his name in the portal.

He hasn't exactly worked out at Xavier.

But I think he'd be a great fit for Brannen's system. And he'd be transferring down a level which may also help him.

I don't view has a hatable Xavier guy like most every white guy they bring in. But if he transferred, I say take him.
doubt it. Hes already used his grad transfer. Can he transfer again and not sit out? Plus, doesnt he start? He might not have had a good year, but got his minutes and they will still be there for him next year
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:21 AM   #40
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
What's the craziest thing I said in that post? Just asking........

I just don't want Vogt to end up as "The Guy Who Knew Brannen's System"

He's had a good season as an unexpected early season scoring punch. Is that going to be all we can say? Yancey Gates was torn a new one for not grabbing rebounds by our fan base. It's okay to be critical of an obvious weakness in Vogt's game.

Think about it, if Mick was coaching this team where would Vogt be?

I'd say riding the pine
1) who gives a flying **** about that midget
2) also not a fair statement since mick had 2 centers all 13 years who could even make layups. Yancy and Washington

Im not saying im happy with vogts play the last month. I attribute a bit of it to Sorolla leaving and Vogt not having any big bodies to bang with in practice. Hopefully he has a good off season.

But why are we acting like Mick was a good recruiter and the players he brought in werent anything more than average at best aside from maybe a handful of guys .

Last edited by itsamemario; 03-06-2020 at 07:25 AM.
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote