Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2020, 06:25 AM   #271
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Sad state of affairs... I’m watching the UCLA @UTAH game and This same UCLA team that we whooped last year, lost its 3 best players and this season now looks like they’d beat the brakes off of Thr current version of UC basketball.

They are playing outstanding defense. Kenpom has this as a 2 point loss against a team that is literally identical in kempom to UCF and they are currently up nearly 20 on the road.

Add in that Utah’s offense is 40 spots better then ucf offense.

Defense matters.

You don’t have to be one sided. We can do both.
Your daily UCLA update. You hated talking about it when they weren’t doing well.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 02-21-2020 at 06:28 AM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:58 AM   #272
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sad state of affairs... I’m watching the UCLA @UTAH game and This same UCLA team that we whooped last year, lost its 3 best players and this season now looks like they’d beat the brakes off of Thr current version of UC basketball.

They are playing outstanding defense. Kenpom has this as a 2 point loss against a team that is literally identical in kempom to UCF and they are currently up nearly 20 on the road.

Add in that Utah’s offense is 40 spots better then ucf offense.

Defense matters.

You don’t have to be one sided. We can do both.
Not sure why this is relevant
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #273
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Not sure why this is relevant
It’s an open thread.

And it’s absolutely relevant.

We are cincinnati.where defense is engrained in the culture.

This current version of UC is trash defensively and it just shows that you can have a lot of success in the country’s 4th best conference by just playing defense.

They are a half a game out of first place because they have an identity. They know why they win now.

But what’s frustrating about UC is that we seem to have no idea why we win. We don’t have an identity. Those are things I took pride in as a Bearcats fan. Being an elite defense. Being nearly impossible to beat at home. And feeling like you walked into a buzz saw every time you set up on offense.

I just want to get back to that. I want Brannen to do his offensive magic and yet, at the same time still be elite defensively
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #274
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Your daily UCLA update. You hated talking about it when they weren’t doing well.
And now no one wants to talk about them after running their mouth after every loss.

Everyone talks about Brannen being this coaching guru. But at this late stage in the season, UCLA looks like it’s figured out how to win. And UC has figured out how to play aweful.

What gives? I thought his teams peaked in March and late Feb? Instead they are playing uninspired basketball for 4 straight games.

Why are they figuring it out and we aren’t ? We play in the 7th best conference, they play in 4th. And yet we’re both in the same spot. Essentially.

Last edited by justinhub2003; 02-21-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:44 AM   #275
Chance2017

Chance2017 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It’s an open thread.

And it’s absolutely relevant.

We are cincinnati.where defense is engrained in the culture.

This current version of UC is trash defensively and it just shows that you can have a lot of success in the country’s 4th best conference by just playing defense.

They are a half a game out of first place because they have an identity. They know why they win now.

But what’s frustrating about UC is that we seem to have no idea why we win. We don’t have an identity. Those are things I took pride in as a Bearcats fan. Being an elite defense. Being nearly impossible to beat at home. And feeling like you walked into a buzz saw every time you set up on offense.

I just want to get back to that. I want Brannen to do his offensive magic and yet, at the same time still be elite defensively
Dude it's a process. Look at Anthony Grant at Dayton. Basically CJB mentor and runs a similar system.

Here is Dayton under his tenure:

Year 1: 14-17
Year 2: 21-12 NIT
Year 3: 24-2 (Projected 2 seed)

Yes we obviously have superior talent to Dayton, but it's still a freaking process. I for one supported Mick during the process. Micks 4th team with Lance, Yancy, Cash, and Deonta certainly should have made the tournament. But they didn't. Still supported them. You drive yourself crazy with your Mick obsession. It's CJB 1st year and your trying to define his entire tenure over 3/4 of his 1st season at UC. All that defense you described got us to one sweet 16 in his 13 years. So while in theory everyone wants the D to improve, that's a process. Calm down. Not everything is as declarative as you make it sound.
Chance2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:47 AM   #276
Chance2017

Chance2017 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And now no one wants to talk about them after running their mouth after every loss.

Everyone talks about Brannen being this coaching guru. But at this late stage in the season, UCLA looks like it’s figured out how to win. And UC has figured out how to play aweful.

What gives? I thought his teams peaked in March and late Feb? Instead they are playing uninspired basketball for 4 straight games.

Why are they figuring it out and we aren’t ? We play in the 7th worst conference, they play in 4th. And yet we’re both in the same spot. Essentially.
Yeah because he left our program. He wasn't fired, he left UC. I root against Brian Kelly, Butch Jones, and Mark Dantonio. That may make me a bitter guy, but they left us. I am a die hard UC fan.
Chance2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:48 AM   #277
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

Why are they figuring it out and we aren’t ? We play in the 7th worst conference, they play in 4th. And yet we’re both in the same spot. Essentially.
You’ve said numerous times times you are supportive of brannen but every time there is a bump in the road, you bring up UCLA’s success or talking about why he isn’t a great coach.

You’ve also said to not blame Jarron because he’s hurt but you still continue to hold the fact the Jarron is hurt against brannen. How would have mick done with a hurt Jarron? Honestly. You can’t have it both ways. Either he’s hurt or not. If he is, like you said, that not brannen fault.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #278
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance2017 View Post
Dude it's a process. Look at Anthony Grant at Dayton. Basically CJB mentor and runs a similar system.

Here is Dayton under his tenure:

Year 1: 14-17
Year 2: 21-12 NIT
Year 3: 24-2 (Projected 2 seed)

Yes we obviously have superior talent to Dayton, but it's still a freaking process. I for one supported Mick during the process. Micks 4th team with Lance, Yancy, Cash, and Deonta certainly should have made the tournament. But they didn't. Still supported them. You drive yourself crazy with your Mick obsession. It's CJB 1st year and your trying to define his entire tenure over 3/4 of his 1st season at UC. All that defense you described got us to one sweet 16 in his 13 years. So while in theory everyone wants the D to improve, that's a process. Calm down. Not everything is as declarative as you make it sound.
This.

Also Justin, who has a claimed Brannen is a guru like you obviously believe Mick to be.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:52 AM   #279
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance2017 View Post
Yeah because he left our program. He wasn't fired, he left UC. I root against Brian Kelly, Butch Jones, and Mark Dantonio. That may make me a bitter guy, but they left us. I am a die hard UC fan.
Yep, the guy left. I’m not sure why we should want him to succeed and long for him. He left. It’s over.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:56 AM   #280
justinhub2003
Epic Member

I still support Brannen. I mean don’t have another choice.

Support isn’t a pass for awful performance. I’ll still go to the game Sunday. I’ll still be there screaming my lungs out.

But I will pretend that this season is a success. It’s a straight up flop

That’s what it is... and UCLA is a flop to.

But my main point was playing elite defense gives you an incredibly high floor. And I’d like to see John Brannen figure that end of the game out.

He said that this teams identity is defense. Not me. So by his own standard we lack a solid identity.