Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2020, 08:32 AM   #121
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Did anybody else see the stat that there have been 17 two-game road trips in league play this year. The road team has only won both 1 time out of 17 and it was Tulsa when they played East Carolina and Tulane.

We have 1 more 2 game road trip and its a short turnaround one too. At Houston and then At South Florida 2 days later.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #122
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Interesting that brannen is wondering if our better offensive games cause us to lose focus on defense.

used to be our struggles on offense caused us to lose focus on defense.

maybe guys just hate playing defense.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #123
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Did anybody else see the stat that there have been 17 two-game road trips in league play this year. The road team has only won both 1 time out of 17 and it was Tulsa when they played East Carolina and Tulane.

We have 1 more 2 game road trip and its a short turnaround one too. At Houston and then At South Florida 2 days later.
Yep, it’s common sense. They haven’t been home for 5 days, don’t have a bench, and the other team is treating it like a super bowl. It’s going to be hard to win. I wish they could have overcome it, had chances, but couldn’t finish. Isn’t the end of the world. I expect to win comfortably Thursday.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:30 AM   #124
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
At the end of the game we kept going to Jarron for something that wasn't working the whole game unless he passed the ball. Most of those times he didn't even come close to putting a ball close to the basket. The plays we drew up were not very good.

We had plenty of chances to win this game. I put this one on the coach and the definition of insanity. We kept doing the same thing over and over with the same results. It worked in many games but it wasn't working in this one. It would have been one thing if we could have gotten Jarron driving on his right side but he went left too often and the D collapsed on him every time...we should have kicked those out on some possessions to whoever was open.

I think we have one loss to give now and that will likely be in Houston but stranger things have happened. It's too hard in conference to expect to run the table so we have our work cut out. Lose one max and win a couple in the tourney.
Everyone wanted the “Jarron show” but when it doesn’t work, we should have ran something else? UConn did a great job on Jarron and Vogt. Have to tip your cap. I’ve never seen Jarron shut down like that. I still ride with Jarron at the end. He’s the only one that can create his own shot and he’s very good at getting fouled.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 02-10-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #125
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
At the end of the game we kept going to Jarron for something that wasn't working the whole game unless he passed the ball. Most of those times he didn't even come close to putting a ball close to the basket. The plays we drew up were not very good.

We had plenty of chances to win this game. I put this one on the coach and the definition of insanity. We kept doing the same thing over and over with the same results. It worked in many games but it wasn't working in this one. It would have been one thing if we could have gotten Jarron driving on his right side but he went left too often and the D collapsed on him every time...we should have kicked those out on some possessions to whoever was open.

I think we have one loss to give now and that will likely be in Houston but stranger things have happened. It's too hard in conference to expect to run the table so we have our work cut out. Lose one max and win a couple in the tourney.
I agree, if we win 6 of the last 7 we are fine. Maybe one in the tourney. These other bubble teams are going to lose games. If we can do that, I think we are in comfortably. Prob a 10ish seed.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #126
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Everyone wanted the “Jarron show” but when it doesn’t work, we should have ran something else? UConn did a great job on Jarron and Vogt. Have to tip your cap. I’ve never seen Jarron shut down like that. I still ride with Jarron at the end. He’s the only one that can create his own shot and he’s very good at getting fouled.
In most games there is evidence that it is working. There was no evidence of it working in this game. It wasn’t even close to working...so yah...try something different when that happens IMO. I still want the ball in Jarrons hands but we should have found an open player in several circumstances when he drove
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #127
cincrulz11
Epic Member

I would like to point out some stats on defense since there appears to be a misconception about brannen ball not including playing defense.

stats for in conference play

efg%

2020 - 44
2019 - 50

TO%

2020 - 19.7
2019 - 20.5

OR%

2020 - 28.9
2019 - 29.7

3p%

2020 - 32.7
2019 - 37.3

2p%

2020 - 41.4
2019 - 45.6

block %

2020 - 14.6
2019 - 13.9

defense has struggled on the road a few times, but offense has been much better on the road. it's weird the stats are like that since usually its the possible, defense usually travels and offense is harder on the road.

but overall this years defense is better than last years. in fact that 2p% defense is even better than the amazing 2018 team.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #128
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
In most games there is evidence that it is working. There was no evidence of it working in this game. It wasn’t even close to working...so yah...try something different when that happens IMO. I still want the ball in Jarrons hands but we should have found an open player in several circumstances when he drove

i mean jarron wasn't passing the ball at the end of 2nd half or OT. im not really sure thats a coaching thing. brannen can't make him pass.

the announcers even pointed out a time or two when he forced a bad shot and had jaevin wide open for 3.

jarron didn't get a shot up on either of the last second possessions. thats on him. no excuse for the OT possession to end without ever getting a shot up.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #129
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
If Jarron makes either one we win. With the game on the line, I give the ball to Jarron every time. And would continue to until he’s gone. More often than not he is going to make the correct decision.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #130
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Jarron was kind of out of it yesterday from my view. The difference in his game yesterday was he was passive and had some athletic defenders on him.

I noticed Jarron was in pain late in Thursdays game which may have carried over. Also it's never a good sign when Tre has 20+ points, which in my eyes means Jarron aint scoring. Any opposing coach will let Tre Beat them all day.

Only 2nd half adjustment would have been to take Jarron off the point position. He was giving the ball a headache, and the offense was taking to long to get started. UCONN's semi press helped with that.

We just need to clean some things up, and we should be okay.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote