Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #161
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Redshirting Moore this year couldn't have worked. You can't make it through 31 games + tournaments with 3 big guys. Even though Moore doesn't play a ton, we need his body a few times per game. 4 years is plenty of time for him to have a great career.
I never said that we could/should have redshirted him. The Strickland situation put a damper on any chance of it happening. I merely said that when he is a Sr. we will be wishing we had him for one more year.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #162
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Honestly Jenifer might not get much PT his first 2 years. He's not going to be taking minutes away from Caupain.

I guess when people say "True point guard" they mean old school point guard. Most good PG's these days do it all. They aren't just passers. Caupain is a very good PG and I don't think it's very likely they will ever take the ball out of his hands.
I think there may be a chance of Troy playing a little 2 guard next year with the options on the team.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #163
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Honestly Jenifer might not get much PT his first 2 years. He's not going to be taking minutes away from Caupain.

I guess when people say "True point guard" they mean old school point guard. Most good PG's these days do it all. They aren't just passers. Caupain is a very good PG and I don't think it's very likely they will ever take the ball out of his hands.
There's no reason they can't play together. UConn played 2 point guards together 30+ minutes per game last season and it worked out pretty well for them. And even if Jenifer doesn't get much PT his freshman year, Cobb will be gone his sophomore year.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #164
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I think there may be a chance of Troy playing a little 2 guard next year with the options on the team.
He technically plays a little 2 guard this year with Cobb, but it's mostly PG and a freshman probably won't change that much.

He might get a little off the ball time simply to rest his legs, but he's the best player on the team and great things happen when he has the ball. If he cuts down his turnovers he's going to be an absolute monster his last 2 years.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #165
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
There's no reason they can't play together. UConn played 2 point guards together 30+ minutes per game last season and it worked out pretty well for them. And even if Jenifer doesn't get much PT his freshman year, Cobb will be gone his sophomore year.
There is no doubt they can play together, but I just don't see Caupain or KJ playing less than 30 minutes a game as Sr's. If KJ wasn't here then Caupain/Jenifer would probably get a lot of minutes together. (All speculation of course).
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #166
BearcatSpaniard513
Elite Member

BearcatSpaniard513 is on a distinguished road
If Jenifer is as good as advertised then his minutes will reflect that next year. The hot hand sees the floor on this team. KJ and Caupain have impressed me lately
BearcatSpaniard513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #167
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatSpaniard513 View Post
If Jenifer is as good as advertised then his minutes will reflect that next year. The hot hand sees the floor on this team. KJ and Caupain have impressed me lately
KJ has played much better in the last 5 games or so. He just needs to cut down on his fouls to stay on the court longer. I noticed last night when KJ got his 4th foul is when Boatright started hitting shots. JJ had the same problem when he was a Fr. and soph
Old 01-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #168
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Great game, great atmosphere, great win. We thoroughly outplayed and outhustled UConn and that isn't an easy thing to do. I thought the refs were garbage. I will say I didn't know either of Caupain's two technicals were called for taunting until after the game. I really wished the announcers at the game did a better job of telling us the calls. Even if they were warranted (and I question they were, although being at the game you don't see replays and get explanations) the refs were still garbage. How Shaq's foul was not a flagrant was questionable based on what I've seen flagrantts get called on. How it wasn't goaltending was just astoundingly bad officiating. The guy pulled the rim down. That is an automatic basket interference and the bucket counts. The jump ball at the end where cobb gets lifted from behind in a bear hug was complete crap and someone explain to me how after the double technical UC gets the ball back? It was an and one and both teams shot two shots. So Sanders finishes the and one and both teams shoot the free throws and then the ball should go to UConn right? Was it a flagrant foul that gave us the ball back? I don't think it was and if it was then wouldn't a flagrant and technical on the same play warrant an ejection for Purvis? I think he should've been ejected for two hand shoving Caupain anyways. Yet Caupain running his mouth seemed to be the refs only major concern for the game, not a welt on his head, Shaq getting taken to the ground or a two hand, in your face shove... Ellis and Caupain got a stern talking to with a ref in the Bearcats huddle the entire time the other two refs were reviewing that double technical as well. No UConn player got talked to by the refs. I thought the refs clearly showed a bias last night. I guess winning a title will get you that. I wonder what Mick would've done during that game and if he would've made a difference in how the calls were going later in the game. No way he doesn't get T'd up at some point. I really would've liked to have seen a little more fire out of Davis towards the refs. Ollie got plenty of face time with the refs. Ok I'm done with my rant.

For the positives in the game: Caupain is really starting to take over and is becoming a great player. He and KJ are playing great on the defensive end. They recovered quickly and didn't give up open looks. Cobb on the other hand didn't close well and let Boatright get off a couple shots late. Although at that point I think Boatright was determined and going to score regardless. With KJ playing better and Sanders solidifying the three spot, the defense has looked much better and the offense looks more fluid. Moore played very well in his minutes off the bench. That's all we can ask of him. I'm really surprised the refs didn't whistle or even eject him for that screen even though it was 95% clean. Clark is a beast. Brimah shut him down offensively a few times but he still hustled some nasty offensive boards. Brimah is a beast. I'm glad we are done facing him. Overall great effort by the Cats. I really wanted that game last night and it was obvious the Cats did too. Nice to see them elevate their play when it is needed. Clark and Caupain just seem so mentally tough. Hopefully Caupain learns his lesson about taunting and what the ramifications are. I like his fire and intensity, just let your play do your taunting not your mouth.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #169
CincyBeerCo

CincyBeerCo is on a distinguished road
Uconn's technical was physical in nature and was deemed a greater offense than Caupain's taunting T, so they awarded us the ball.

I was at the game and also had no idea why that happened until this morning.

Great game.
CincyBeerCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #170
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Don't forget Evans is coming in and he will play the wing. I think Jenifer will go thru a learning process next season.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote