Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #81
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Sometimes our second unit looks smoother on offense and defense. Makes me excited for next year.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #82
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Honestly, if any big gets switch to a guard, they are either going to blow by them or shot a three. Bigs can’t guard quicker guys. This is my main problem with whole argument. 95 percent of bigs can’t do anything in the situation.
Most bigs manage better than Vogt. Maybe I'm biased since Cronin prioritized bigs who could defend guards, but I see a lot of other teams with bigs who can play at least okay defense against a guard. Vogt just has no chance.

I still say a good portion of the fault lies with Brannen. Play a defense that keeps Vogt in the paint and protects him from other teams using the pick-and-roll to attack him.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #83
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Sometimes our second unit looks smoother on offense and defense. Makes me excited for next year.
Agree, if we had one more big I’d like it a lot more. Hopefully one of the madsen kids can be that scorer off the bench
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #84
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Agree, if we had one more big I’d like it a lot more. Hopefully one of the madsen kids can be that scorer off the bench
Yeah, we need at least one more big. I think next years team will be fun to watch, but I'm not sure they will be that good. It all depends on how quickly they can stop making mistakes. Our bench players have periods where they look great - better than the starters even - and other times where it looks like they don't belong on the floor.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #85
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Most bigs manage better than Vogt. Maybe I'm biased since Cronin prioritized bigs who could defend guards, but I see a lot of other teams with bigs who can play at least okay defense against a guard. Vogt just has no chance.

I still say a good portion of the fault lies with Brannen. Play a defense that keeps Vogt in the paint and protects him from other teams using the pick-and-roll to attack him.
You have to get out of the cronin mindset. He runs a very unique system that allows he to switch everything. No one else does that. Most college bigs can’t guard guards. They could be move mobile than Vogt but they are still going to either get blown by or shot over.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #86
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Vogt was very good at post defense today and has been good at post defense for most of conference play. The problem is when Vogt has to defend on the perimeter. The first half Vogt was once again exposed on pick and roll defense, second half he was somewhat better but still had some mistakes. I believe they got Vogt switched onto a guard twice and both times his man drained the three over him.
How is that not just as much the fault of the guard?
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #87
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

Also brannen isn’t telling them to switch, it’s basketball. Sometimes you rotate and get on someone you can’t guard. That’s basketball. Yes I’d love to have 5 Kenyon Martins out there. Those guys don’t exist and if they do, they are hard to find.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #88
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, we need at least one more big. I think next years team will be fun to watch, but I'm not sure they will be that good. It all depends on how quickly they can stop making mistakes. Our bench players have periods where they look great - better than the starters even - and other times where it looks like they don't belong on the floor.
Well, they will all have a longer time with Brannen and his system. I think they will be pretty good... hinging on Eason being playable quickly
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:43 PM   #89
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’d like to see how we’d look with Vogt coming off the bench, I don’t know if he’s injured or what, but he was terrible today, he has to have some type of nagging injury or something because he has been flat out terrible
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:48 PM   #90
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’d like to see how we’d look with Vogt coming off the bench, I don’t know if he’s injured or what, but he was terrible today, he has to have some type of nagging injury or something because he has been flat out terrible
In a perfect world he would be a bench player. I did find myself thinking about a small ball lineup with Tre. When he was scoring I didn’t think it was possible but if he isn’t scoring I think it’s a possibility. I have to think he will at least start making layups again.