Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #1941
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense first View Post
No doubt about it. West Virginia getting some love also. Drop 4 if your last five and don't drop 10 spots. Lol. Officiating in these blue blood games are even worse than I remember. Ky gets every opportunity call wise in every game they play. There guys stiff arm every time they attack the lane, never ever seen it called. So you can basically use your off hand to create space. Unbelievable. They lose to Missouri even with the help of the refs. God i love watching them lose.....
West Virginia had been overrated for 2 years. They don’t scare me at all.

As for duke, they beat a lot of good teams every year. I hate them just as much as the next guy but you can’t deny their resume year in and year out.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:08 PM   #1942
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Ucla wins at home against ucla

Xavier down 3 with under 2 to go to Georgetown

If Xavier, Kansas and duke all lose maybe will move to #7 but chances are will drop 2 spots just bc
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #1943
Zdiddy513

Zdiddy513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Ucla wins at home against ucla

Xavier down 3 with under 2 to go to Georgetown

If Xavier, Kansas and duke all lose maybe will move to #7 but chances are will drop 2 spots just bc
We've been more than fairly ranked all year.
Zdiddy513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:28 PM   #1944
prancer

prancer is on a distinguished road
I love seeing UC climb the rankings bc it's fun, it gives us better exposure, and it helps with recruiting. But for the most part, the rankings are meaningless. With that said, I don't believe for a second that we're a top 5 team. If anything, I think us sitting at 8 is generous
prancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #1945
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer View Post
I love seeing UC climb the rankings bc it's fun, it gives us better exposure, and it helps with recruiting. But for the most part, the rankings are meaningless. With that said, I don't believe for a second that we're a top 5 team. If anything, I think us sitting at 8 is generous
Then what’s a top 5 team? Top 5 teams don’t lose at home to any one imo.

Top 5 teams don’t drop 3 games to teams 70+ in kenpom

Is duke top 5? Not in my opinion.

Is kansas? They lost 3 home games

Is Michigan state ? Maybe but they haven’t protected home court either.

The reality is no one is s top 5 team this year. Nearly every team except Purdue and Michigan state have either a defiency either on offense or defense.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #1946
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer View Post
Hi I don't watch basketball at all I just came here to leave my useless opinion
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #1947
prancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
What a well-reasoned response. Thank you.

Of course my opinion is useless. And so is everyone else's. We're on a college basketball message board for god sake. Message boards contain 99% useless opinions (that's the fun of it) and 1% people complaining about those useless opinions (that's where you come in).
Old 02-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #1948
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I think he made a fair point. I love that we are ranked high but our best win is buffalo. All we can do is keep winning but that Doesn’t exactly scream top 10
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:28 PM   #1949
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I think he made a fair point. I love that we are ranked high but our best win is buffalo. All we can do is keep winning but that Doesn’t exactly scream top 10
Whoa.

First off if your going to use the rpi to measure that as our best win, then you better add that we are 11-2 in tier 1 and 2 games.

With 4 tier 1 wins.

I didn’t make the tier system the committee did and we’re balling out by those standards.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #1950
prancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Then what’s a top 5 team? Top 5 teams don’t lose at home to any one imo.

Top 5 teams don’t drop 3 games to teams 70+ in kenpom

Is duke top 5? Not in my opinion.

Is kansas? They lost 3 home games

Is Michigan state ? Maybe but they haven’t protected home court either.

The reality is no one is s top 5 team this year. Nearly every team except Purdue and Michigan state have either a defiency either on offense or defense.
I think there are at least 5 teams in the country that... if we played several games against them on a neutral court... we would lose more than half those games. That's my criteria for saying another team is better than UC. The things you list... kenpom, home losses... those are factors, but those aren't the be all end all criteria.

These are the first 5 teams I'd say are better than us... Nova, Purdue, Virginia, Duke, Xavier. That's not a knock against this UC team. We've got a really really good team this year. But that doesn't mean there aren't still a number of other teams out there that are better. There's no shame in recognizing that.

I think our poll ranking is bloated simply because we've had a weak schedule the last 10-15 games, compared to other top 25 teams. We haven't lost, so we've slowly risen in the polls even though we haven't beaten teams of much quality. When we were ranked in the 20's, I thought we were underrated... now I think we're a bit overrated (especially considering we're sure to rise again this Monday). Again, that's not a knock against this team. That's a knock against the methodology of the AP/Coaches Polls.