Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #41
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Jaevin at 87% FT and 40% from 3 last year. Those are both outstanding considering the volume of 3's! ORTG was at 116 last year on 21 % usage. Cane was never that high even at Sacred Heart. Jaevin was the focal point of opposing D's all be it in the Horizon and somehow managed to get off 8 threes per game without serious play making ball skills. I would guess half of those shots were contested. Jarron is going to take that pressure off but the defenders he will face will get better. I don't think he will get off 8 threes per game but I hope he and Jarron can average about 6 each.

At 87% from the FT line he becomes your go to for FT's at end of game. He played 37 mpg so I don't think fatigue will be much of an issue as it didn't seem to be with Jarron. I think 25 mpg is an absolute minimum. I could even see 32.5 if he is efficient as he was last year (or better). Williams faded off at the end of season last year....so I hope he gets it going again. If I had to put money on minutes I would probably place Jaevin just ahead of Keith. Keith will be awesome in the break though and he can probably defend at a higher level for sure.

Based on the speed at which Brannen will play it's hard to put anyone at more than 32.5 mpg. But we seem to have 4 players who are clearly a notch above the rest...at least at this point.
I'm go out on limb and call Mcneal our 5 best player. So does coach want go small @5 with Mcneal, jarron, Jaevin, Williams, Scott or does he take the spark plug of bench approach, Mcneal, jarron, Jaevin, Scott, diarra
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #42
Mongoose

Mongoose is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
I'm go out on limb and call Mcneal our 5 best player. So does coach want go small @5 with Mcneal, jarron, Jaevin, Williams, Scott or does he take the spark plug of bench approach, Mcneal, jarron, Jaevin, Scott, diarra
i've seen very little of how the freshmen point guard can open things up for his teammates as well as score in various settings. Once Mika gets adjusted he'll be an integral part of the team because he's a point that can facilitate and score and has a great feel. Would be stupid to stifle his development, as going forward would benefit Cincy and him to play 20 min a game and potentially more by mid to late season. It's a reason he was going big ten and then was about to commit to another big ten school. Why prolong tge process? To play a stop gap grad transfer who's smaller and not as gifted? At this point he is what he is and can help as we're thin at point guard, but won't keep power 5 level kids if you take the slow approach. We have great tradition but we aren't Duke to dissuade kids from believing they can thrive early. Good players don't come to sit , just the reality. Especially when there's a need at that position.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #43
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
I think ultimately the lineup ends up being fluid.

We start our season at OSU. The exhibition game and hopefully a secret scrimmage against a High Major will help Brannen pick the right lineup to take on a really talented OSU team
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #44
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Jaevin also shot well from 3 against quality competition (though it was a small sample size). He played 3 p6 teams. @Michigan State he was 4-6, @Xavier 2-7 and @Georgia 4-9, combined that is 45% from three. He looks like a guy who can make threes from anywhere against anyone.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM   #45
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Jaevin also shot well from 3 against quality competition (though it was a small sample size). He played 3 p6 teams. @Michigan State he was 4-6, @Xavier 2-7 and @Georgia 4-9, combined that is 45% from three. He looks like a guy who can make threes from anywhere against anyone.
Good, cause they are moving the line back this season.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #46
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
i've seen very little of how the freshmen point guard can open things up for his teammates as well as score in various settings. Once Mika gets adjusted he'll be an integral part of the team because he's a point that can facilitate and score and has a great feel. Would be stupid to stifle his development, as going forward would benefit Cincy and him to play 20 min a game and potentially more by mid to late season. It's a reason he was going big ten and then was about to commit to another big ten school. Why prolong tge process? To play a stop gap grad transfer who's smaller and not as gifted? At this point he is what he is and can help as we're thin at point guard, but won't keep power 5 level kids if you take the slow approach. We have great tradition but we aren't Duke to dissuade kids from believing they can thrive early. Good players don't come to sit , just the reality. Especially when there's a need at that position.
Most freshmen don't expect to start. It's not like MAW is a 5-star (or even 4-star) guy. MAW looks like an excellent shooter, but I think it will take him a while to adjust to being a true PG. He plays more like a SG and played the SG role in HS quite a bit.

I agree though, that McNeal probably isn't much (if any) better. McNeal's assist/TO rate is nothing to get excited about and he can't shoot threes at a high percentage. At least MAW seems like he can hit threes at a high rate.

I still think we just play without a traditional PG. Cronin's plan was to have Jarron play PG this season and I don't see why we wouldn't follow that plan. McNeal and MAW rotating at PG while having Jaevin/Williams sit on the bench sounds like a disaster.

McNeal probably comes off the bench early in the season. But as MAW gets adjusted he may be off the bench before McNeal later in the season. If we play a true PG he'd probably just bring the ball up the court, then hand it off to Cumberland and play off-ball. MAW's ability to shoot threes makes him a much better off-ball guy then McNeal.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #47
Mongoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Most freshmen don't expect to start. It's not like MAW is a 5-star (or even 4-star) guy. MAW looks like an excellent shooter, but I think it will take him a while to adjust to being a true PG. He plays more like a SG and played the SG role in HS quite a bit.

I agree though, that McNeal probably isn't much (if any) better. McNeal's assist/TO rate is nothing to get excited about and he can't shoot threes at a high percentage. At least MAW seems like he can hit threes at a high rate.

I still think we just play without a traditional PG. Cronin's plan was to have Jarron play PG this season and I don't see why we wouldn't follow that plan. McNeal and MAW rotating at PG while having Jaevin/Williams sit on the bench sounds like a disaster.

McNeal probably comes off the bench early in the season. But as MAW gets adjusted he may be off the bench before McNeal later in the season. If we play a true PG he'd probably just bring the ball up the court, then hand it off to Cumberland and play off-ball. MAW's ability to shoot threes makes him a much better off-ball guy then McNeal.
I'm not saying start but i see people say 8 minutes and they're severely under rating him. The misconception is he's a 2 guard, ive watched him since middle school against 5 stars as well as older kids high school etc. He can score and played with a small guard at prep so played off the ball some for team sake. Also to fit in his first year at city rocks. Point guard is more about your mindset and how you make decisions and obviously skill which he doesn't lack etc but you'll see. Star rating can be misleading, if had more established point then I'd agree bring along slower. But the good thing is in due time it'll all come out as the season will be here, then people will see where I'm coming from.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #48
Mongoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
I'm not saying start but i see people say 8 minutes and they're severely under rating him. The misconception is he's a 2 guard, ive watched him since middle school against 5 stars as well as older kids high school etc. He can score and played with a small guard at prep so played off the ball some for team sake. Also to fit in his first year at city rocks. Point guard is more about your mindset and how you make decisions and obviously skill which he doesn't lack etc but you'll see. Star rating can be misleading, if had more established point then I'd agree bring along slower. But the good thing is in due time it'll all come out as the season will be here, then people will see where I'm coming from.
I agree the 2 Cumberlands should play alot, lets just say he'll have to be creative with the lineup. . That's what was said in recruiting and i think asking Jarron to score and play large mins as key facilitator limits teams upside. Play small ball if need be etc
Old 06-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #49
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Just in case you haven’t already seen the highlights for Jaevin....the kid has limitless range.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq5XpBBX2jg
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:36 PM   #50
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
give me 40% on 8 attempts a game over 44% on 3 attempts a game all day.
Uhh..yeah!
Shooting 40% from three is the same as shooting 60% from two. I’ll take that anytime anywhere
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote