Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-31-2016, 04:16 PM   #21
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Great stuff. He has matured a ton in his time here. You can just see the confidence when he's answering question after question. Very sure of himself.

-Love hearing him say that Cronin gets on them at practice and asks "How do you expect to win the league making mistakes like that?"

- Not positive but I think that was Chad who asked about Jenifer and Caupain playing together and Caupain moving off the ball. I guess that answers that (I'm still surprised Cronin is ok with that). Good to see that Caupain wasn't bothered in the least by it. He'll do anything for the team.
That was just for you.

Jenifer started the scrimmage in place of Evans and played 30 minutes. When they played together I'm told Troy played the 3. Obviously won't see it a ton when Evans is back, but it will be part of the rotation...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:21 PM   #22
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRXP...ature=youtu.be

Similarly, here's Coach Cronin talking about Bellarmine.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:59 PM   #23
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
That was just for you.

Jenifer started the scrimmage in place of Evans and played 30 minutes. When they played together I'm told Troy played the 3. Obviously won't see it a ton when Evans is back, but it will be part of the rotation...
Haha well thanks that's great info. I guess the Jenifer buzz is for real. I'm excited to see him get good minutes in the exhibition.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:05 PM   #24
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I'm so happy to hear so much talk from the coach and players about winning the league. That's a big deal to me. Great to hear them being so open about that being a goal.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:56 AM   #25
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
That was just for you.

That is a big development! If Jenifer is ready to give a good chunk of minutes this year it effectively adds depth to the wing which was my main concern going into the season. I'm definitely rooting for Jenifer as our biggest X factor this year!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:35 AM   #26
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
That is a big development! If Jenifer is ready to give a good chunk of minutes this year it effectively adds depth to the wing which was my main concern going into the season. I'm definitely rooting for Jenifer as our biggest X factor this year!
Don't sleep on Tre Scott. He is going to surprise some people.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #27
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Don't sleep on Tre Scott. He is going to surprise some people.
Tre Scott really impressed me at the scrimmage. I was very pleasantly surprised. I saw him at the scrimmage last year also and he did well there too, so it wasn't a complete shock.

As for Jenifer, I believe he was ready last year, but the coach decided to treat him like it was Marine boot camp and completely tear him down, and now he is building him back up I guess. Once Mick sucked the confidence out of him last year, he looked nothing like the player that he was early in the season. He still shot a lot of outside jumpers at the scrimmage and I didn't see a lot of improvement in his shot that day, but I did notice that when he didn't hurry his shot and was fully under control, it looked sweet. My fear is that this is just another example of preseason Mick-speak, and when push comes to shove, we'll see very little of Jenifer after December and Mick will run Troy ragged. I think Jenifer's fate rests with KJ. If KJ is solid, we won't see much of Jenifer. If KJ is shaky, we'll see a lot of combinations and may the best man win.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #28
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
Tre Scott really impressed me at the scrimmage. I was very pleasantly surprised. I saw him at the scrimmage last year also and he did well there too, so it wasn't a complete shock.

As for Jenifer, I believe he was ready last year, but the coach decided to treat him like it was Marine boot camp and completely tear him down, and now he is building him back up I guess. Once Mick sucked the confidence out of him last year, he looked nothing like the player that he was early in the season. He still shot a lot of outside jumpers at the scrimmage and I didn't see a lot of improvement in his shot that day, but I did notice that when he didn't hurry his shot and was fully under control, it looked sweet. My fear is that this is just another example of preseason Mick-speak, and when push comes to shove, we'll see very little of Jenifer after December and Mick will run Troy ragged. I think Jenifer's fate rests with KJ. If KJ is solid, we won't see much of Jenifer. If KJ is shaky, we'll see a lot of combinations and may the best man win.
I agree and I truly think Mick would agree that was his biggest mistake last year was not playing Jennifer. In many interviews last year he brought Jennifer up, but never did anything about it. It was almost too late in the season to get him and build his confidence in conference play. This year he truly is making it point to bring up Jennifer in every press conference, and I trust he will do the right thing with him. Lets just see how it actually plays out before assuming Cronin is going to actually shut down Jennifer again. I have faith he's going to use Jennifer like he should. Might not be a tone of minutes but just in the best interest for the team.

Talking from a source around the team I have heard Jennifer's shot did improve and I also did not think much of it during the scrimmage, but we will see as the season goes. I think Cronin is saying the right things though that he doesn't need Jennifer to be the scorer, just the guy to make plays and find the open man.

This might be the biggest progression I have heard of a player in the offseason since Dion Dixon from soph to jr year. I remember I kept hearing that whole off season how better he got which he did and he played and helped the team out tremendously. Dixon in my mind didn't progress from jr to sr year.

Last edited by GarradJ21; 11-01-2016 at 08:26 AM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #29
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I agree and I truly think Mick would agree that was his biggest mistake last year was not playing Jennifer. In many interviews last year he brought Jennifer up, but never did anything about it. It was almost too late in the season to get him and build his confidence in conference play. This year he truly is making it point to bring up Jennifer in every press conference, and I trust he will do the right thing with him. Lets just see how it actually plays out before assuming Cronin is going to actually shut down Jennifer again. I have faith he's going to use Jennifer like he should. Might not be a tone of minutes but just in the best interest for the team.

Talking from a source around the team I have heard Jennifer's shot did improve and I also did not think much of it during the scrimmage, but we will see as the season goes. I think Cronin is saying the right things though that he doesn't need Jennifer to be the scorer, just the guy to make plays and find the open man.

This might be the biggest progression I have heard of a player in the offseason since Dion Dixon from soph to jr year. I remember I kept hearing that whole off season how better he got which he did and he played and helped the team out tremendously. Dixon in my mind didn't progress from jr to sr year.
If he truly has worked his ass off, then as the coach, you better reward the effort, because that is ultimately what you want every single guy doing.....busting their ass. If Jenifer understands that he is not needed to score, then he sure didn't display that at the scrimmage. He was bombing away just like he did last year. I'm his number one cheerleader on here, so I'm obviously happy to see Mick coming around, but again, we've heard Mick say a lot of things in the preseason thru the years. By the end of the season, they are a faint memory.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #30
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post

If JJ has improved his decision making and defense he will get minutes. A big part of the issue last year was we were in so many tight games after the cup cake part of the season minutes were hard to find. Everything I have heard concerning JJ is he has improved quite a bit this year. Looking forward to seeing how all this plays out. Pushing TC off the ball on occasion will help keep him fresh as the year goes on.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote