Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-16-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Assistant Coaches

Assistant coaches.
I am hoping J Hub or someone can comment.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of the coaches? Can we get anybody better? Especially for recruiting?

I don’t want anyone to lose their jobs. But what can we do. We need to shift somewhere. We’re not going to magically get in another conference. We’re not going to change head coach, at least for the next couple of years. We already got a new arena. How else can you shake something up? Get an offensive assistant coach. Better recruiter or recruiters. Or change your philosophy.

We let the excellent recruiter, Stubblefield or whatever his name was, the assistant coach go to Oregon I think it was. I know that’s a P5 school. But I would’ve rather overpaid for assistant coach then spent 90 million or whatever on an arena. Wouldn’t you rather get recruits. If an assistant coach really means that much then we need to gobout and get one and pay for one.

Maybe if I have time later this week I will look up the salaries of the assistant coaches. I’m curious how far below they are compared to other schools. I know Our head coach is not under paid.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:16 PM   #2
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
Assistant coaches.
I am hoping J Hub or someone can comment.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of the coaches? Can we get anybody better? Especially for recruiting?

I don’t want anyone to lose their jobs. But what can we do. We need to shift somewhere. We’re not going to magically get in another conference. We’re not going to change head coach, at least for the next couple of years. We already got a new arena. How else can you shake something up? Get an offensive assistant coach. Better recruiter or recruiters. Or change your philosophy.

We let the excellent recruiter, Stubblefield or whatever his name was, the assistant coach go to Oregon I think it was. I know that’s a P5 school. But I would’ve rather overpaid for assistant coach then spent 90 million or whatever on an arena. Wouldn’t you rather get recruits. If an assistant coach really means that much then we need to gobout and get one and pay for one.

Maybe if I have time later this week I will look up the salaries of the assistant coaches. I’m curious how far below they are compared to other schools. I know Our head coach is not under paid.
Oregon made Stubblefield the 6th highest paid assistant in the country.

Keeping an assistant coach for a new arena? That's absolutely crazy. We have yet to reap the benefits of the new arena yet. You can show recruits renderings, but until they see the finished product and game atmosphere....
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
What I am saying is, Stubblefield supposedly was an excellent recruiter and left for more money. Wouldn’t save money to pay a couple really good recruiting assistant coaches? Would not cost a lot less then an arena?

I think a good recruiter gets better players than an arena. Although I know an arena brings in money.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:42 AM   #4
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
What I am saying is, Stubblefield supposedly was an excellent recruiter and left for more money. Wouldn’t save money to pay a couple really good recruiting assistant coaches? Would not cost a lot less then an arena?

I think a good recruiter gets better players than an arena. Although I know an arena brings in money.
If you want to donate an extra 300K per year that is earmarked specifically for assistant salaries, I’m sure the athletic department will take your call. Until then, this is a good intro into the growing and already vast gap between the P5 and everyone else...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #5
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
If you want to donate an extra 300K per year that is earmarked specifically for assistant salaries, I’m sure the athletic department will take your call. Until then, this is a good intro into the growing and already vast gap between the P5 and everyone else...
Yes that $ gap stinks.

Are the Bearcat assistant coaches salaries available somewhere....I couldn't find them with my google skills.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
A couple things

-I think they have to disclose salaries at a public university. So we should be able to find out somewhere.

-Loyola made around $7M for making it to the Final 4. Just another reason why making a tournament run is important...I think. Mick says it doesn't matter to him. So either he's not concerned about the issue, or umm?

-If we got rid of one of our assistant coaches, why would it cost $300K? If we got someone from a lower level conference (Marshall asst for ex), they'd no doubt be getting a pay raise and would be working at a more prestigious school. We have a bigger budget than those schools.

-If things really are that tight, then I would rather have a cheaper head coach and make sure we get top flight assistants. Here are some coaches making less than Mick:
Ed Cooley (Providence)
Kevin Keatts (NC St)
Roy Williams (UNC)
Jim Boeheim (Syracuse)
Bobby Hurley (Az St)
Steve Prohm (Iowa St)
Mark Few (Gonzaga)
Brad Brownell (Clemson)
Mike Hoplins (Washington)
Danny Manning (Wake Forest)
Richard Pitino (Minnesota)
Penny Hardaway (Memphis)
Eric Musselman (Nevada)
Josh Pastner (Georgia Tech)
Travis Steele (Xavier)
Jim Larranaga (Miami FL)
Chris Beard (Texas Tech)
Greg McDermott (Creighton)
Chris Collins (Northwestern)
Along with almost 300 other D1 head coaches

I'd straight up take some/most of these guys over Mick. And if you're telling me they are cheaper too? Yes please. If we are so strapped, then instead of paying $2.2M for a head coach, I'd rather pay $1.9M, which is still more than almost everyone listed. And we'd be able to afford better assistant coaches (we don't need to replace all 3)? That's a no brainer.

Sounds to me like we could have a better coaching staff several different ways.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 04-17-2018 at 09:01 AM.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:06 AM   #7
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
A couple things

-I think they have to disclose salaries at a public university. So we should be able to find out somewhere.

-Loyola made around $7M for making it to the Final 4. Just another reason why making a tournament run is important...I think. Mick says it doesn't matter to him. So either he's not concerned about the issue, or umm?

-If we got rid of one of our assistant coaches, why would it cost $300K? If we got someone from a lower level conference (Marshall asst for ex), they'd no doubt be getting a pay raise and would be working at a more prestigious school. We have a bigger budget than those schools.

-If things really are that tight, then I would rather have a cheaper head coach and make sure we get top flight assistants. Here are some coaches making less than Mick:
Ed Cooley (Providence)
Kevin Keatts (NC St)
Roy Williams (UNC)
Jim Boeheim (Syracuse)
Bobby Hurley (Az St)
Steve Prohm (Iowa St)
Mark Few (Gonzaga)
Brad Brownell (Clemson)
Mike Hoplins (Washington)
Danny Manning (Wake Forest)
Richard Pitino (Minnesota)
Penny Hardaway (Memphis)
Eric Musselman (Nevada)
Josh Pastner (Georgia Tech)
Travis Steele (Xavier)
Jim Larranaga (Miami FL)
Chris Beard (Texas Tech)
Greg McDermott (Creighton)
Chris Collins (Northwestern)
Along with almost 300 other D1 head coaches

I'd straight up take some/most of these guys over Mick. And if you're telling me they are cheaper too? Yes please. If we are so strapped, then instead of paying $2.2M for a head coach, I'd rather pay $1.9M, which is still more than almost everyone listed. And we'd be able to afford better assistant coaches (we don't need to replace all 3)? That's a no brainer.

Sounds to me like we could have a better coaching staff several different ways.
TBH I'm only taking Beard, Few, and Williams over Mick on that list.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

How did UConn afford Kevin Ollie's buyout and Dan Hurley's new salary? Hurley is making more than Mick, but I have a funny old feeling he and his staff are going to outrecruit us like there's no tomorrow.

We just invested $90M in an arena, but we draw the line at getting a new assistant coach, who may not even cost more than they ones we have? That's really freaking stupid. Not saying it isn't true. But it's really, really stupid. An extra $100K (in theory) is a drop in the bucket compared to the arena. And if it can improve the product that you just invested all that money in? What?

Would Mick replace any of the coaches if he could anyway? I guess that's where we should start.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #9
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
Musselman for $1M?

I should've listed the actual salaries bc most of them are around $1M less per season.

I know I'd personally take a coach like one of those + top assistant coaches over what we have now.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
Point is, Mick shouldn't be making so much more than so many P5 coaches (and Mark Few) if the budget is such a huge issue. We need to fix that when his contract is up. Either he takes a pay cut, or we find someone else.