Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2018, 06:50 AM   #21
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Johnson is going to have to flat out beat Jenifer at the position to get any more than 10 minutes per game. Cronin will probably be willing to use Cumberland or Broome as defacto PG at times.

SK was a redshirt precisely because he had tenured players in front of him at the position. Clark was competing for PF with 2 other frosh. Cumberland was the only backup for Evans and KJ. Moore and Williams were both frosh and someone had to give a breather to Evans and Cumberland on the wing...Broome was mainly playing PG last year.

I think Troy and Evans are the exceptions here. As frosh they beat out the upperclassman because they were unmistakeably better. Evans left after 3 years. Troy is trying to make the league.

I just hope Johnson (if...IF...he is good enough) doesn't have to make it painfully obvious in order for Cronin to pry the minutes from an upper classman. He should just have to be the better player or give us the best chance to win. If they are equal in production go ahead and let the senior play.
I agree.

And my perspective is, Johnson doesn't really have to do a lot to justify this. Jenifer seems like a good kid, but he just does not bring much to the table except some ball handling and knocking down a wide open 3 from time to time.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #22
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Im going to hold off judging Senior year Jenifer until the season starts. Last year he did what he was supposed to do...take care of the ball and distribute it to positions 2-5 (all scorers). I think he did a fine job last season. Actually, I think he did a hell of a job last season.

Let's see what he does to start this year before we start lobbying for his minutes to be cut.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:09 AM   #23
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
Im going to hold off judging Senior year Jenifer until the season starts. Last year he did what he was supposed to do...take care of the ball and distribute it to positions 2-5 (all scorers). I think he did a fine job last season. Actually, I think he did a hell of a job last season.

Let's see what he does to start this year before we start lobbying for his minutes to be cut.
He can hit the 3. People say he's bad at shooting but he's really not. When you're his size, its obviously not easy to drive and get in the paint, but plenty of good point guards his size have proved there selves. He doesn't have a floater and is not good at creating his own two point buckets, that's my big knock on him. But overall he's decent. I can't wait to see what this season brings.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #24
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
I’m so pumped for this Ohio state game, we both lost a lot last year it would be a huge confidence builder for our team if we could beat them to start the season, really can not Wait for the season to start.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:17 PM   #25
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=jtsladder@aol.com;191531]Meaning, we know what Cumberland is the obvious best player on the team. Is Tre Scott even close to a Gary Clark. That was my thought process. If he plays better than average that is a big key.[/QUOTE
It will be a very long time before we see any Bearcat even close to Gary Clark if ever.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:21 PM   #26
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
He can hit the 3. People say he's bad at shooting but he's really not. When you're his size, its obviously not easy to drive and get in the paint, but plenty of good point guards his size have proved there selves. He doesn't have a floater and is not good at creating his own two point buckets, that's my big knock on him. But overall he's decent. I can't wait to see what this season brings.
I want to see Justin as starting point with Cane as starting 2. Once we take the leash off Cane all JJ has to do is take care of the ball which he has the head to do.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:55 AM   #27
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrugby View Post
It will be a very long time before we see any Bearcat even close to Gary Clark if ever.
As much as I loved Gary Clark I hope this isn't true. He was a great player but had some flaws that were glaring and probably cost us games here and there. He didn't have a killer instinct and disappeared in big games. What separates him from an SK or a Kenyon was that very thing. You think either of those players allows a 22 point lead to disappear in ten minutes? I loved how versatile he became on offense and his defense was as good as it comes, but I'm hard pressed to think he's the best we might ever see for the Bearcats.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #28
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
As much as I loved Gary Clark I hope this isn't true. He was a great player but had some flaws that were glaring and probably cost us games here and there. He didn't have a killer instinct and disappeared in big games. What separates him from an SK or a Kenyon was that very thing. You think either of those players allows a 22 point lead to disappear in ten minutes? I loved how versatile he became on offense and his defense was as good as it comes, but I'm hard pressed to think he's the best we might ever see for the Bearcats.
Agreed. Gary was a very good player but there's a reason he wasn't considered for the POY award like some others we've had come through. It's honestly debatable who was better between Maxiell and Clark.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:37 AM   #29
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrugby View Post
I want to see Justin as starting point with Cane as starting 2. Once we take the leash off Cane all JJ has to do is take care of the ball which he has the head to do.
I'd view this as a rebuilding year and give logan as much time as possible at the point. Then next year we would have a senior cumberland, johnson, and williams starting next year all with experience.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #30
bearcat1518

bearcat1518 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
If tre Scott is the key to success... we are in a world of trouble.
1997 people said the same thing about the Cats and Bobby Brannen. 1.8 pts, 2.7 reb as a sophomore, 5 and 5 as a junior. Then exploded to 14 and 8 as a senior while being an anchor of the team.

Not saying Scott makes that big a jump, but no reason he can't do 10 and 7. And Scott plays better D and passes better than BB. I'm optimistic.
bearcat1518 is offline   Reply With Quote