Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2015, 02:16 PM   #121
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Agree but I miss the mythical Miami Valley Championship.
I agree. Times are changing. Sports today aren't anything like they were even five to ten years ago. Unfortunately playing teams close to you with natural and common rivalries is one of the things to go. Dayton and Xavier was a big-time rivalry and I doubt they'll play on a regular basis anymore.

And more to my point in the reply as I was in a hurry just checking the site before tip-off, the only way we play those two teams is to play a home and home. Miami for awhile did a US Bank every year after we quit wanting to go up there. Dayton did some sort of arrangement with us with games at US Bank, but its not in either of their best interests to not have us come to their arenas. So the bottom line is if we want to play them we have to go to their arenas every other year and possibly pick up bad losses and maybe even pass up the opportunities to pick up home and homes with the NC States and VCU's and Michigans that we have scheduled. You have to find a good balance of getting some neutral sites and true road games and having as many home games as possible to draw in revenue. Setting up permanent or long-term rivalries with lots of local teams will hinder that. Just the sad reality of things. Every team pretty much has one out of conference rivalry and ours is Xavier. I would like to see if we can get Louisville in the future, but they play UK every year and might not want another permanent opponent.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #122
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Agree but I miss the mythical Miami Valley Championship.
I don't. Maybe it is my age (Graduated from UC in 2004) but I could care less about Dayton or Miami (in basketball).
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:38 PM   #123
bearcat8290

bearcat8290 is on a distinguished road
david, I understand Miami and Dayton want home and homes. I think that is better than Kennisaw State any day of the week. Even with those two, I can go on the road and watch the Bearcats with ease at Miami and with some effort at Dayton. most likely no tickets at Dayton
bearcat8290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #124
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat8290 View Post
david, I understand Miami and Dayton want home and homes. I think that is better than Kennisaw State any day of the week. Even with those two, I can go on the road and watch the Bearcats with ease at Miami and with some effort at Dayton. most likely no tickets at Dayton
You have to understand they don't care if you could make it to those games. They want more and more home games to make money.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #125
bearcat8290

bearcat8290 is on a distinguished road
Schields: I'm not attending away games for anyone else but myself. Not concerned with who cares. My guess is that you haven't paid to see Kennesaw State in action either.

http://www.kennesaw.edu/
bearcat8290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #126
Scheids21
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat8290 View Post
Schields: I'm not attending away games for anyone else but myself. Not concerned with who cares. My guess is that you haven't paid to see Kennesaw State in action either.

http://www.kennesaw.edu/
I'm not sure I see your point. If I offended you, that was not my intent. I just wanted to point out that UC does not schedule local teams wanting home and homes because the program "loses" money playing on the road that they would have made playing at home.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #127
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
President Ono has recently met with the Presidents of Baylor, TCU, KSU and Oklahoma. While I think it would be naive of us to think this is strictly sports/conference related, I also think it would be naive to think that topic didn't come up during these meetings.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #128
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
President Ono has recently met with the Presidents of Baylor, TCU, KSU and Oklahoma. While I think it would be naive of us to think this is strictly sports/conference related, I also think it would be naive to think that topic didn't come up during these meetings.
I am not trying to be smart, but why else would he meet with those four schools. Could WV already be on board with Cincinnati and these are schools he needs to make a case to? Just a little wishful thinking.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #129
BCM
Epic Member

BCM is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ BEARCAT View Post
I am not trying to be smart, but why else would he meet with those four schools. Could WV already be on board with Cincinnati and these are schools he needs to make a case to? Just a little wishful thinking.
Was just thinking the same thing.

Maybe he wanted to tell them how cold it was here lately.
BCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #130
Scheids21
Epic Member

Ono usually says on Twitter why he is making certain trips, but has not said anything about these meetings. I think these can only be good news; not getting my hopes up too much, but promising enough.